1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Whats a Hornady Apex Worth?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by T-Sobania, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T-Sobania

T-Sobania TS Member

I bought a lot of reloading equipment at an auction and there is a Hornady Apex 3.1 in 28 gauge. I bought the lot for the PW equipment and I don't know anything about these Apex reloaders. Can someone give me a ballpark of the value? It appears to be in really good working condition.

Thanks

TS
    [​IMG]

2. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

I do most of my loading (12 Ga.) on an Apex 3.1 (converted from a 3.0). It does a very good job once it is set up for the shell being loaded.

Wear points to check out are the shot bushing carrier. That is the plastic part that carries the shot bushing back and forth. Sometimes a piece of shot can get trapped in between the plastic and the casting and cause a restriction in movement. This is more of a problem with finer shot. I use 8.5 mostly so I get the problem enough to notice the difference in the handle movement and it has become second nature that when the handle is a bit stiffer or the sound of the shot drop is "off", I just reach over and assist the carrier the rest of the way. It does not happen often but it does happen. If the carrier is worn it will probably happen more often.

The other area to watch is the primer drop. The size/deprime station kicks over a fitting that connects to the plastic link to drive the primer tray. Sometimes the primers hang up or bridge in the tray. Again, I have become accustomed to what the sound should be and just a quick look confirms a primer drop. If you try to rush the process you can have the primer land on a slant in the primer seat station. You can develop a rhythm that works well. Check to be sure that the primer station has a small "notch" filed on the seating station bottom plate to help the primer land correctly. Positioning the brass primer drop tube and its plastic bottom piece is sometimes needed to get the best primer drop.

One thing to note is that this press has been out of production for maybe seven or eight years, maybe more, and some parts may no longer be available from Hornady.

I do notice that the spent primer catch cup is not shown. This is not a major problem since you could probably make an adequate replacement from the plastic top from some spray can or laundry detergent bottle.

I can not see if the loaded shell guide to guide the loaded shell off of the press is there or not. Mine is silver while the picture you show might have that right on the casting and the red paint makes it less obvious. Again, if the part is not there, it is a simple job to manufacture and glue a piece in place.

If the press is in good condition with free moving shot drop and well working primer drop, it can give you a good load but the parts availability issue does tend to lower the price you can get. Without seeing it in person, I would say $100 to $125 is what I would pay if I were buying which I am not.

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I'm a BIG FAN of the Hornady Apex presses... $150 is fair for one in good working order... look at the cost of other used, fully progressive presses and most parts are still readily available for 3.1s

I'm not keen on the 28 gauge market, but 28 gauge shells are expensive... ultimately the market will determine... consider having some fun with it... shell detects for primer, powder and shot - if it had had less plastic it might have done better saleswise...

I own three 12 gauges and a 20... tremendous value in a reloader!

Jay Spitz

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I just sold an "as new" one for $125!!

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Dangit Ollie. I probably would have taken that one. I want a like new 12ga. model that somebody isn't trying to get rich on. Just want it to go in my Hornady/Pacfic collection and maybe load on occasionally. Heck you never know, i may like it better than my 366.

6. oleolliedawg

Heh, maybe one day I can buy it back!!

7. oleolliedawg

Heh, maybe one day I can buy it back!!

8. spitter

Matt:

I tried a 366 and many love them... I had bought a used 366 after having had the Apex and was already spoiled by how easy the Apex is to use... I just couldn't get to like the 366...

Now, Apex loaders do have some quirks... but Hornady's engineering prowess in design was evident... very easy to change shot/powder drops, swap out shot size... easy out shell removal from any station...

I did break a couple shell plates on my 3.0, but the 3.1 was a nice step forward... if my Apex has one missing element, it was an "exit point" like the MEC... I'm not so fond of having to catch the shells coming out the front of the the machine after the final crimp...

I'll keep my eyes open for you...

Jay

9. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

For the "Exit Point" on mine, I simply cut a hole in the bench, made a small wooden box, with a ramp to guide the shells to the hole and have a large wooden box under the bench to catch the loaded shells. Works fine, took maybe ten minutes to make and cost was zero since it was all done with scrap lumber already on hand. The box is easily removable if you want to clean up the inevitable spilled shot and powder that accumulates over time.

10. spitter

Pyrdek... can you post a pic - I'm trying to visualize what you did...

Thanks in advance,

Jay

11. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

My Dad has a 3.1 Apex for sale 170.00 shipped.
    I can send pic's to anyone interested.

12. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Here are some pictures of my homemade loaded shell guide. It is crude but it works just fine.

The first shows it mounted on the loading bench.

[​IMG]

Close up of notch to fit around Apex. Note that the side rail is cut at a 45 dg. angle to help guide the shell into the chute.

[​IMG]

Here the chute is moved away from its in-use location just to show the size of the chute and the hole in the bench.

[​IMG]

Here is a bottom view of the chute

[​IMG]

Here are the guides I glued on the bench to hold the chute in place on the bench.

[​IMG]

13. maka

maka Member

If there's anyone in NE Wisconsin interested in a Apex 3.1 I have one. Have 1oz. and 1 1/8 oz. bushings. Also #423, #462, #465 and #468 powder bushings. In addition I have 3 extra gaskets that go und powder measures and 3 push pins which hold bottles in place. Have manual. All parts listed are new except for 1oz and #423 bushings. Press is in good shape. Looking for $200 for all. Pick up do not want to ship. Call Mike @ 920- 758-2461 if interested.

14. rugershoot

rugershoot Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
28 gage hornady apex reloader

hornady apex