1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Whats a good score?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Garb72, Apr 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garb72

Garb72 TS Member

My buddy and I joined a local league for the first time after shooting for a month. We are now 4 weeks into the league and about 2 months into trap shooting all together. Driving home last night from league (team handicap night) we were trying to figure out what good scores are for beginners, average, good, and really good. We figured that really good shooters shoot 50's (the league is 50 clays a night) straight consistently. So what do you guys think is a good score for the different skill levels for the 16 and 23ish where our teams handicap has been so far.

Thanks, Travis

2. Bill Stern

Bill Stern Member

This is strictly my opinion. The goal for a beginning shooter should be to stay at 20 or above on every 25. When you can consistently do that, try to stay at 22 or above. When you're hitting 22s all the time work toward 23s and 24s. It's a normal progression that will take months for some, years for others, and some will never reach consistent 23s and 24s. The most important thing, however, is to have fun - the scores are really secondary to the shooting experience.

3. NMULTRARUNNER55

NMULTRARUNNER55 Member

A good score is 1 bird more than the next closest shooter!

Steve Nunley

Albuquerque, NM

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

We always want to have some kind of benchmark maybe thats a reality check maybe a security blanket but it is natural.

Just starting out you should be happy to average in the mid to upper 80 percent hit. (21 or 22 out of 25). With more experience you will notice the benchmark moving (in your mind anyway) and you will think shooting in the low to mid 90 percent range is reasonable. (23 or 24 out of 25). By the time you are a full fledged trapoholic the only number that is meaningful is 25 out of 25 or better yet 100x100.

But as mentioned above, the score is not all there is - you need to cut yourself enough slack such that you can have a good time and not take the lost targets too seriously.

5. hoot619

hoot619 Member

Just starting out and on a league already in 2 months, you are doing good. Don't

worry what others are shooting. You are looking for improvement on your scores.

1st round my son shot was pathetic his son shot his first a lot better. Both are

doing good now. Gradual improvement some of it comes fast some slow. I can shoot

in the 20's couple of 25's but not doing so well lately. I still have fun

shooting. Never shot reg.trap yet we don't have it just practice rds. Enjoy

yourself great buch of people to be around. I will try to shoot Monday if I can

stand up ok. Ken U

6. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

Scores in trapshooting really aren't important. You should never go out with the intention of shooting a good score instead you should intend to break the first target. You don't shoot scores you shoot targets so the only thing you should concern yourself with is breaking your first target and then the second one and so on. Let the score keeper worry about how many you break. As long as you have fun and do your best then the numbers are not important.

7. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

Jason is exactly right!!

The biggest mistake new shooters make is worrying about scores rather that the next target. In trapshooting there is only one thing that is important. that is the next target.

JMAC

8. dds4horse

dds4horse Member

I have found there are also weather variables and club variables. I know as a fact I shoot better at some clubs than others, also wind ,snow rain heat, and cold will affect your shooting. You don't go out on a cold rainy day expecting to hit 25 (not that it can't happen), but everyone is affected by this.

9. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Travis, Good scores come & go. Don't put extra pressure on yourself when your scores seem down. Have fun, good scores will come. Other shooters will let you know when your scores are good. Time,practice, money with confidence will produce improvement. Some plateaus, like 50 straight will take time.
    Clyde

10. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

Travis,

I think I understand your question.

Take a look at the ATA Classes for singles ( 16 yd ):

97% and over AA
    94% and under 97% A
    91% and under 94% B
    88% and under 91% C
    Under 88% D

Where are you ? If you are over 90% I'd say that is good. What you want to see is improvement.

As for handicap, I'd say if you can shoot to withing 8 birds of your 16yd score that is not too shabby.

11. Garb72

Garb72 TS Member

Thanks for everyone's input so far. My first round ever I shot a 7 and was devastated but by the end of the day I was able to leave with a 21 under my belt. Lots of people have said I have been doing very good as I have recently shot my first 25, 50, and 75 straight. My scores in the league for 16 yards so far have been a 50 and 49 and the handicaps 23 yard have been a 40 (very windy) and 45. I was just trying to see if I was on par with the average guys. I was very excited to be asked last night to fill in for a team that was down a guy and shot a 47, but the best part of that is that I shot that with my first two boxes of my reloads. I have come to love trap very fast and almost everyone has been so helpful and very kind. I have only had one guy tell me that my gun (stoeger M3500) was no good for trap witch is fine, but it is what I have for the time being. Also what would you guys recommend for a first trap gun?

Travis

12. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Travis, You could buy a good used older model BT 99 34inch for less than a $1,000. Get one with a cut comb. You won't go wrong. Clyde Doll

13. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

This past weekend our local trap club had a fun shoot which included 60 shooters shooting one round of 25 from the Singles 16 yard line. Many of these shooters are not ATA and only shoot on Sunday afternoons in good weather during the warmer months. Guess that all shooters were local club members. Also guess that nearly all the shooters likely have been shooting longer than six months. (Not many shooters join our club in the middle of winter.) $1,300 in prize money was divided amongst the Top Three.

10% shot 25 Straight

33% shot 24 or better

58% shot 23 or better

72% shot 22 or better

77% shot 21 or better

Three shooters shot single digit scores. One person suggested those three shooters may have been using 3/4 ounce loads of #8½ soft shot at subsonic velocities through an Improved-Cylinder choke. But others suggested those three didn't center their patterns with the proper lead.

14. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

having fun and enjoying the comraderie. hard to beat under any conditions.
    everyone's talents are different so good scores would be different. Set reachable goals and shoot towards that end. Next league raise those goals and reach to attain them. The limits are set at your "imagined" capacity.

15. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Shoot the very best you can each week, and set some personal goals that are achievable for you. Have some fun, and then work on the game. First good Gun....hmmm BT-99, Citori O/U, SKB-85 O/U...32" barrels may be a good starting point. Enjoy the fun of Trap shooting!!

16. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Before you worry about good scores, remember you don't shoot a 100 bird event..you shoot 100, one bird events. ONE at a time and forget it if you miss one..move on to the next one. As you improve, you'll discover they will all break if you do your job!

Big Jack

17. Garb72

Garb72 TS Member

Also, I was told that if I swap my full choke for a modified that I will pick up a few more birds???? I have been using a full choke all along and haven't tried swapping it out, any truth to that???

Robert, this world may become smaller if this "Travis" your talking about is the 23 year old that is shooting in Kingsburg. If so than you are the reason I am asking about scores. A teammate turned in our score sheet Tuesday night and came back over to me while I was putting away my things and said that the gentleman that works the "booth" behind station 2 (I think) was asking if I have really never shot or never shot registered targets (or something along those lines) before and said I was doing very well. This is what brought up the conversation between my buddy Jake and I about what scores were on par with the different skill levels.

Travis

18. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Really doesnt matter

Did you have fun? Are you challenged? Are you learning?

Your goal may be a number but shouldn't be

Learn to hit the problem targets and the score will come.

Then the definition of problem target changes. Rights and lefts become easy and easier targets are now lost because you didnt notice an important detail.

Two different skilled shooters will shoot and both had a good time and met different goals

No-one elses score should matter

regards

19. 100after9

100after9 TS Member

I agree with JMAC first thing is first shoot to the best f yur ability... Then try to better that.. I got great advice ( from my dad when I started) he said everone is going to tell you how to shoot or have an opinion about how you should shoot... go in look at the score board.. Look for the people consistantly breaking 25 or 50 get and take the advice from them... youshoot only against yourself... try to improve on that and you will become that consistant shooter.. You have already made the fisrt step... Good luck and great shooting!!!

20. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

scores can vary widely from day to day, field to field, but one should never be satisfied with less than 20+ from the 16. A friend recently lost his eyesight in his shooting
    eye due to a blood clot. We have always been competitive with each other. it's scary watching how much he's bearing down and quickly improving. I don't agree with some on this site when they say scores don't matter.SCORES ARE EVERYTHING!! by the way he beat me the other night with a 23. I love this sport. An 870 trap or bps trap is a very nice first gun. Spend a little more and get a bt-99 and you are there. Bill​

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
average scores for beginer trap shooters

average trap shooting score

beginner trap shooting scores

good trap scores

ladies ata good trap scores

what is a good trap score

what is a good trap shooting score
what is the average trap shooting score