1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What's a good powerwasher for home use ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by gus, Feb 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gus

gus Member

What

What should I look for in a powerwasher for use around the home. Are they all the same within similar HP, pressure, etc or not. My instinct says Honda is usually good. thanks

2. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

I have a 2500 psi Honda powered pressure washer that is absolutely useless for the vast majority of things you might want to do with one. It will blast paint off your house, it will remove grease no matter how deep it is into the cement on your driveway and I use it about once every ten years.

Go to Costco or Sams Club and buy the little $119 Karcher pressure washer. It is small it does a really good job on most stuff, and it isn't overpowered so it doesn't remove paint. You can wash an engine and not have to reseal it or spend 2 days drying it out.

And it's only $119.00 or so.

Best bang for your buck, really!

Randy

3. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

You're on the right track.

4. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Be careful, you can tear up more stuff with a powerwasher than you can imagine.

Wish I had never purchased mine.

They are fun to play with though.

5. gus

gus Member

I had thought about the small electrrics, and now that I think about it that's all I probably need ! No gas, small, carry from basement up to garage in winter . Thanks

6. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I've repaired quite a few of them and I think the Karcher is about the best one going these days. Just my experience.

7. gus

gus Member

Also, I am on a well and my water tears evything up so when the Karcher goes I'll toss it and get a new one.

8. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I've got a karcher and its the cats meow for little jobs around the house. Like it was stated above if it wears out or breaks their cheap enough , just go buy another one.

9. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I was pretty happy with the Craftsman 4.0 horse power model. It has quick change heads so you can have less pressure for "delicate" jobs.

10. neofight

neofight TS Member

I picked up a re-furbished Honda, 3,000 psi at Home despot, negotiated with them a bit and got it cheap. I need the power for specific tasks around the home and i am glad that i got it. The pump is rebuildable, as is the engine, unlike the cheapie throw-away types. If all you need to do is blow off your driveway or rinse the exterior of the house, the toss-away unit may be okay for you.

11. Royce10

Royce10 TS Member

Volume and pressure. If it doesn't use 3-1/2 gallons per minute, it is useless for big jobs. I borrowed a neighbors that put out 4 gpm and 3500 psi, this thing would blow the paint off your patio. Better than ANY car wash you went to.

Of course, it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

12. gus

gus Member

Mostly just carwashing, don't have a deck.

13. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

I bought one little unit that put out about 1400 psi. It wasn't strong enough to do some of the things I needed it to do but if you hold the nozzel too close to painted surfaces it will still make you wish you hadn't done that. It eventually threw craps and I got one that is 16oo psi and it works well on the cars and cement. Be careful on the siding of your home. Depends on the kind you have as to how you clean it. There are a lot of solvents they sell for use on different surfaces. That makes a big difference on how your machine will work. The mildew on decks comes to mind here. I usually mix up a bucket of water with about 25 % bleach to let that soak into the wood before using the power washer and even at 1600 you can knock out the soft wood in the flooring of the decks. Like I say experiment a little with it so you aren't sorry you do something to what you are trying to clean that can't be fixed. Mine is a McCullah. Dan

14. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

I wouldn't give up my little Honda pressure washer. With the correct nozzle it will do it all.

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I picked up a power nozzle "as seen on TV" and the thing works great when attached to your garden hose ... Its has two different tips and for $20 works really great ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

16. gus

gus Member

WPT
    I have seen that advertised. I figured it was a scam. Here is my question: I have very low pressure - I am on a well, PLUS I have a neutralizer, softener and sterilizer on the line. That said, how can a wand make more pressure than there already (little that it is) is ??

17. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Northern Tool has a bunch of good ones up and down the price scale and they stand behind what they sell...I have one of theirs and it has taken a lifetime of abuse and is still ticking...i put the website addy above

18. dverna

dverna Active Member

Gus,

One cannot increase pressure with a nozzle.

Don Verna

19. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I built mine it has a 10 hp electic motor, and a Cat pump, it puts out 4 GPM at 4000 psi if you need it but I put on a relief valve so you can go from about 100psi to 4000, it'll clean about anything that gets in it's way, and it will alst a lifetime, but if it doesn't you can rebuild it

BTW if you have a grease stain of some old grease and gunk you need to get off something, oven cleaner workes great, but don't leave it on aluminum too long, caustic soda it pretty tough on it

20. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The thing gets slimmer (Narrows down) toward the tip end of the wand and it works great ... Blows the brake dust off of wheels like it was never there, can clean under the hood with it also, no problem ... I use it on the driveway all the time, works great ... My neighbor liked the way it cleans so much he went and bought one also ... Hey, try it for $20 and if you don't like it take it back to the store where you bought it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.