1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

whats a flinch?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by al3526, Mar 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. al3526

al3526 TS Member

Talked about flinching at the gun club last nite. Seems a flinch can range from a blink at trigger pull to failure to fire the gun. Whats the scoop???? al

2. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Just your excuse to shoot bad

3. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Sorry Al, couldn't resist. He's my brother if anybody was wondering

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

When I flinch, I almost stick the barrel of the gun in the ground like I did 6 times today in a 100 targets ... I don't know why I started it, but man it sure ain't fun ... I think it was because I wasn't pulling the gun into my shoulder but its too late to worry about it now ... Have to check it out next time ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. al3526

al3526 TS Member

not even sure i have one. some shooter state they lean foward and hesitate to pull the trigger some say they almost step foward. crazy but missin targets isnt nearly as fun as smashin them. al

6. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

A Flinch is a small bird of the Fringedae family...mostly seed eaters of which we have many species in North America. One of the most common and most popular is the Goldflinch which is very pretty and if you can catch one you can cash in the gold and get over 1100.00 an ounce right now.......oops!! sorry...bye !!!...........Uncle Sam, Pa.

7. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Flinch is when your brain tells your finger not to pull the trigger, otherwise somewhere on your body will feel pain.

8. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Heck i flinched twice the other night without even shooting the gun. I wish i can correct it.

9. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Boy! You sure came to the right place to ask that question!

10. Butler

Butler TS Member

iF you are asking,, You don't have one..................Ywt

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

A flinch is an involuntary acquired reflex. It can be manifested in many forms from no being able to pull the trigger to your whole body jerking just as you pull the trigger and shoot into the air.

Pat Ireland

12. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

If you are experienced golf, equate a flinch to the yips in golfing.

13. Model12Lady

Model12Lady Member

To me a flinch is just as SteveW described it. I start to pull the trigger and my brain screams... "not yet you idiot"....jerk....loss

14. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Thats why I shoot a release. when my brain says not yet, it's to late, the shot is gone.

15. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Flinch is worse than a bead check- you have no control over a flinch

16. al3526

al3526 TS Member

if the above is the case then why not make all trap guns with release triggers???al

17. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

a flinch is what you have before getting a release trigger

18. Drew Hause

Drew Hause Well-Known Member

"Flinch", "yips" in golfers, and a host of other movement disorders are now classified as a 'Task Specific Dystonia'

http://www.wemove.org/dys/dys_flimb.html

http://www.imakenews.com/wemovenews/e_article000394359.cfm?x=b11,0,w

The problem has ended the careers of some professional golfers and musicians. Aynsley Smith PhD, Director of Sports Pyschology and Sports Medicine Research at the Mayo Clinic, Rochester, has researched the problem extensively

http://www.radiology.medscape.com/viewarticle/411176

Michael Keyes, M.D. discussed the 'Yips' on p. 28 of the Sept. 05' Shotguns Sports Magazine

I frequently flinch trying to 'click' my mouse, but haven't resorted to a "release mouse" yet :(

19. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

A release doesn`t neccesarily stop all flinches but it reduces them considerably. I have releases on all my guns and still push the gun with my left hand (right hand shooter). I find that holding the gun very tight stops most of them. Some flinches for shooters are as discribed, a blink of the eye, pushing the gun around, failure to pull the trigger, or many others that make you miss a target. I very rarely have a trigger pull failure-twice in one day 15 years ago. All it takes is a 1/8 inch movement of a flinch or completely throw the gun 4 ft in front of the target.It is a very frustrating reaction that affects many people differently. No joking matter either and some on here that it doesn`t happen to think we are all crazy and we should just stop doing it and God forbid you are forced to go to a release trigger ??? All my guns fit perfect also for those who know better, Ljutic-3200-1100, all release, and a Browning O/U that I may send out to Spears for a release/pull very soon. Some times I can use this Browning and break a few 25 straights but other times I`m just waving it around during a shoot ???

20. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I have a release flinch.. I nose dive release triggers.. unless I'm REALLY in the zone..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.