1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What's a better cold weather primer?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Em, Dec 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

What

What is your best / better cold weather primer?

Noble Sports proved poor.

I thought Fiocchi 616 were decent until a recent freezer test knocked off 200 fps

Cheddite, in limited testing were better

Winchester / Rem /Fed ?

These were with red dot and with promo; both lost speed equally so that leaves the primer.

regards

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

#1-Federal!!

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Bruce, there are known problems with Fiocchi primers and Promo in cold weather.

Personally, I've narrowed it down to using Win209 primers for simplicity. I have zero cold weather problems with them and e3, Am Sel, Solo 1000 and Green Dot. I also used to use Clay Dot and Promo and had no problems with them.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Bruce, you need to keep your shells warm.

How do you know it was the primers? You loaded some shells with different primers and shot them cold?

Powders are notorious for temperature variations. I'm not saying primers don't have temperature characteristics.

I solved the problem by having my shells in the house, and bringing them in when I get to the club.

I have had cold shell bloopers too.

HM

5. Palos shooter

Palos shooter Active Member

The best cold weather primer that I have found is the Federal primer..It will ignite Green Dot without any problems..After Federal is the CCI 209 Magnum..Both are hot primers..Red Dot and 700X are better powders to use as they are faster burning powders in the cold weather..Try to load them at the higher pressures..

6. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Bruce, it's the combination of components you select, not just the primer. If you're using Green Dot or worse yet, American Select, don't consider Remington in cold weather, although it's a moot point, since they're history, anyway. Some primers fit/work best in the hull you select, and your powder choice and climate. I've decided to use Winchester in my Remington hulls with Hodgdon's International Clays, and am very pleased with the performance, in any temperature. Unlike the Remington primers the Winchester's don't get stuck in the P/W track and seem the best fit, physically, in the STS hull. I never consider using brand "X" primers and stick with Win, Fed, and CCI, in that order. There are two factions in this game, as I see it; those who load the cheapest shell they can produce using the lowest cost components they can find, and those who attempt to load the very best shell they can produce. Put me in the 2nd group.

best....mike

7. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I'll shoot any of them if they go bang. But for real extreme cold I think a good single malt would work out better. Bill

8. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

I shoot pistol at Camp Perry with our mutual friend Ben from ATK; Promo is made of different powders but with a red dot burn speed so yes on the temperature issue for some lots, not all. I was surprised at the low speed on red dot vs summer performance. Since all other variables were same, the only change I had was primer.

Last year with NS I had off sounding and even dud rounds after shells sat in car all day (promo). Fiocchi with promo (that lot) were much better but as I said they too suffered in cold in recent tests (new lot). Yes they went bang, would I notice the reduced performance? some. Red dot however should not have suffered, and did, so I may have been on the ragged edge of proper pressure for that charge. In 7/8 oz, there was a (summer) step change in velocity and performance between 16 gr and 16.5 (different velocity slope) and another 1/2 gr may be just what is needed to get me over the edge when it is cold. Yeah I know most use 1 oz or more but I fancy these for skeet and even trap but will consider more shot use there. Clearly more shot gets a better burn as well.

I know the Feds are hot but havent researched loads for them with GC/AA type hulls. As to future winter powders, if the above test doesnt improve, I will use my 700x or buy Nitro 100 again (that stuff, was dynamite)

thanks !

9. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

CCI 209 Ms if you can find any

Or Federal 209 as a next choice

Regards from Iowa

Gene

10. open choke

open choke TS Member

Thanks for the heads up on the Ficocchi with promo and claydot.

Guess I should stick to the win 209

11. DadPlus4

DadPlus4 Member

never had a problem with FIo/Promo combination in New England winters. I keep my shells in doors and when on the field in pocket with hand warmer.

12. Beni

Beni Member

cheddite and promo in western ny winters have never failed beni

13. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Bruce, I haven't loaded AA hulls for years. I do have a problem using Fed209A primers with STS and GC hulls. They take more of an effort to seat and I have to exert a lot of pressure to get the flange to sit flush with the base of the hull.

STS209 primers are about 0.010" shorter than everyone else. The W209 primers have a step in diameter halfway up. The smaller diameter of the top half allows its use in STS/GC hells with zero problems.

14. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Nobels have a long history of bloopers in cold weather. Not to mention the are oversized. I use Fed and CCI Mags and love them

15. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I stick with WW hulls and WW primers. My powder of choice
    is Hodgden Clays. I have never had a problem in Minnesota
    winters or summers.

16. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I am on my second batch of Rio primers. NEVER a failure to fire or offsounding shell. Have loaded with Solo 1000, Solo 1250, Red Dot, Unique, Titegroup.

Unique, 20/28 in those gauges, have loaded 296, Lil Gun, H110 in 410. I now use 300MP exclusively in the Tomato Stick. Never a problem, even when it was too cold to shoot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
2k primer cold weather
cci 209 cold weather
cheddite primers cold weather performance
cheddite primers in cold weather
cold temp primers
cold temperature prime

cold weather primer

coldest temperature for shooting primer