1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO 'UNIWADS'

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shaggist, Jan 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shaggist

shaggist Member

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO

When I was reloading and shooting trap regularly back in the 70s, I used a wad made by Precision Plastics in CA called the 'UNIWAD', which I really liked. It had an outside cylinder, with 4 slits, and an internal, separate, collapsable plastic anvil, which would automatically adapt to the length of the shot column you were reloading. When fired, the anvil collapsed even more, allowing the shot column to retract into the plastic cup completely, giving the shot protection from contact with the barrel and from being distorted.

When did they stop making the UNIWAD? I don't reload now, but I might start back if one of the current wadmakers would revive this design.

Jack Young Charlotte, NC

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Jack, those were the Lage-Uniwads, made in Iowa. The wad column was ribbed, supposedly for less barrel resistance on it's trip down the barrel under pressure.

I've heard the wad manufacturing equipment is still in Iowa in storage? Like you, I'd love to see those wads available again also! Some of my best handicap scores ever were shot using those wads! Fluke? I don't think so!

I wasn't aware that Precision Plastics also made those wads in CA?

Hap

3. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

I have seen those fuse to the case when left in the hot sun. Most of the wad stayed in the hull with a pencil sized hole burned through the center. Gun didn't blow but pressures must have been quite high.

jim brown

4. Hap MecTweaks

Jim, what brand of cases did that happen with? I used those wads when I lived in desert areas of CA and then in Las Vegas and never had any kind of problems like that! I use some today here in AZ too but my supply is getting low so I save them for my handicap shooting at the better shoots.

Hap

5. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Hap, don't remember. It has been lots of years ago.

jim

6. BIG B

BIG B Member

I'm looking at a partial bag as we speak. It is labeled "Lage Uniwad". Bag says Farmer Bros. MFG. CO. 1102 Washington St. Eldora IA. 50627. Phone 515-858-3651. I bought these in a box of goodies at a yard sale, if someone wants them pm me and we'll work a deal........B

7. Hap MecTweaks

Big B, PM sent.

Hap

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I used them way back in the 70's & 80's. I still have about 7000 of them and use them occassionally. They are greast wads ( correcct name is Lage Uniwad)

9. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

Cubancigar, who is the manufacturer on the bags that you have. I have loaded tens of thousands of them when Crow had them

10. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

Cubancigar, who is the manufacturer on the bags that you have. I have loaded tens of thousands of them when Crow had them

11. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I suspect that you are referring to the wads made by Trico Plastics in Duarte, Ca.

It was a shotcup with a "stool" inside ... green for 1 1/8 and pink for 1 oz. They had a deep over powder cup and worked equally well for straight wall and tapered wall hulls.

Trico Plastics is an plastics injection molding company and produces many different products. The owner was a shooter so he developed that particular wad.

The only problem was that they only produced them when he had a machine that was idle ... and stopped when there was another product to be produced.

Whenever I was near the plant, I would stop in and buy as many as I could fit in my full size van, usually about 30,000. I would keep a good supply for myself and the guys at the 2 clubs that I sot at would quickly buy up the rest.

Any how ... the owner sold the business and sadly, the new people showed no interest in producing any more!

12. shaggist

shaggist Member

There was another wad of similar design that I liked also. It was the Trico, self-adjusting wad, made by the Trico Plastics Co. in Azusa, CA. Maybe I was blending the 2 companies in my memory and that's where the CA came from. I find an advertisement for the Trico in a 1992 issue of Reloader magazine, but I don't see it around for sale anywhere now.

You didn't have to worry about the wad not matching the powder charge you were using, as it reached from the powder to the crimp fold of the shell, and any pellets that were going to be too high, due to the powder, got pressed into the wadcup to make everything come out right.

I still have a 500 shell case of old AAs and Remington RXPs loaded with my dove load of 3 drams equivalent Dupont SR-7625 powder, Federal 399 primers, and 1 1/4oz of shot, and the Trico wad, that were/are the most effective dove killers I ever shot.

Maybe the folks at Downrange will read our posts and start making these designs again. I shot more consistently and higher scores with my loads with these wads than anything I can buy now.

Maybe it is just my old man's memory, but these were some bird-breaking patterns.

Jack Young

13. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I remember using the Uniwad. Loaded thousands of them. I wish they were still available,......

14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Who has the gang moulds for the LageUniwads? I would imagine that since these were two piece wads the labor to assemble them before bagging was their demise. Another problem could be that the moulds are worn and need redone......... and the worst problem would be if the moulds were not worth rebuilding at all. New moulds can cost from $35K to $60K for hot tip gang moulds.

15. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

My bags say Lage Uniwad, P O Box 2302, Davenport Ia, 52809, (319) 388-5243, Dave & Brenda Johnson owners, email lageuniwad@aol.com

16. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I mentioned these to Kevin at Downrange once as a good possible expansion product with no response. I still have a bag of them under the bench for those
    1 1/4oz Longshot loads. Used to use them for standard trap loads with success as well. Shot fine as I remember them.

Big Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
lage shotgun wads

lage uniwad

lage uniwad for sale
lage uniwad inc
lage uniwad loads
trico plastics inc
uniwad universal shotshell wad

what ever happened to lage shotgun wads