1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Whatever happened to the BT-100s?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

I have an older BT-99. Yesterday, a shooter showed me his BT-100. Nice fit and finish. Nice shooter, too. Why the heck did Browning stop making it and get back to making BT-99s?

Larry

2. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

They were losing money on them. Very expensive to produce with the drop out trigger.

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Like anything I guess they weren't selling enough of them after the market was saturated with plenty of used ones...BT99s will always sell as the least expensive step up for those who are new or just wanting to progress out of a pump or auto...nice guns but a bit too flat shooting for me..if they combined the 99 Plus type rib or the Moneymaker (Perazzi type) with a adjustable Monte Carlo stock and could keep the price under $3K..they would take a serous bite out of a lot of KX-6 and assorted adjustable rib singles sales

4. Lead Miner

Lead Miner Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Somebody stole mine and i would like it back. Terry

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Bucko is right -- Browning wasn't making enough money on them.

The venerable BT-100 remains, in my humble opinion, the most serious trap gun per dollar ever produced. They all have a nice high post rib and the glossies have the dropout trigger with adjustable LOP, adjustable pull weight, and eject/extract which can be changed in ten seconds. You can still find extremely nice ones today for $1500. When properly cared for they are as durable as a 90-T plus they don't freeze your trigger hand in cold weather and the bluing doesn't wear off in six months. Where else are you going to find a bargain like that?

-Gary

6. dds4horse

dds4horse Member

yah whatever Gary says. but if I may add they just shoot sooo nice. oscar

7. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

The BT-100 was Brownings attempt to compete with Perazzi with the drop out trigger and raised ribs and such. The price they were asking for it was way below what Perazzi's were going for at the time, but the gun never took off and sold like Browning expected. They just couldn't get the market stirred up enough for people to lay out $2000 for their gun.

8. JLSIMON

JLSIMON Member

If you find a BT99Max, they were the immediate predecessor to the 100. Same thing as a 100 only without a palm swell and drop out trigger. Only made for a couple of years before the 100 came out.

9. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

#1.) My Bt-100 does not have a palm swell.

#2.) A friend of mine says that Browning stopped production of the BT-100 because, "...they figured out they were sending out $1000 with every gun they sold!." (In other words, they were investing more in the production of the gun than they were making with each sale.)

#3.) GREAT gun for the price! Martinpicker

10. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

The BT-100 is a great trap gun! All the 100's, glossy, satin and stainless have a drop out trigger group. The satins do not have the extract/eject selector option. Only extract. They all have adjustable trigger weight and if you really want you can adjust them for sear engagement. I'd like to find a stainless BT-100 some day.

Pat

11. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Just make sure you clean and liberally grease the hinge pin and where the forend iron meets the receiver knuckle. Tight BT-99s and BT-100s can gall amazingly quickly if the joint is dry or has debris in it, and the stainless ones are the most vulnerable of all.

-Gary

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Gary,

I heard that hinge point galling was a rumor. Do you actually know anybody it has happened too? :)

13. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I've had two BT-100's. Got rid of both because they shot to flat.
    50/50 at best.

14. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I've had two BT-100's. Got rid of both because they shot to flat.
    50/50 at best.

15. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Sky Buster:

Something is wrong with what you said about your 50/50 BT-100s.

I've patterened several BT-100s, with different ribs, and all shot 4.5" - 7.5" high at 35 yards.

If you look at the angle of any BT-100 rib with respect to the barrel, you will see that it is virtually* impossible for one to shoot flat if the beads are aligned or stacked. Some shoot higher than others but none shoot flat.

*The only exceptions would be if your front bead is lower than the rear when you pull the trigger, the barrel is bent, your choke tube is defective, or you're shooting 1/2 dram loads at 200FPS, LOL.

-Gary

16. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Sorry, early BT-100's shot very flat. As I can recall, later versions came with higher impacts!!

17. trapperpg

trapperpg Member

I bought a BT100 when they first came out. It shot flatter than my skeet gun.
    I heard that later production guns did shoot higher, but I was not willing to take a chance on another.

18. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Gary, forget trying to reason. I agree with you. I have never seen one with a flat rib, they have to shoot high looking flat down the rib. A 100 could only shoot flat if one cannot see past the midbead. Sky buster is only 12 and can't see over the mid bead.

19. GW22

GW22 Active Member

That's funny, Johnny. But his screen name is old so he's not 12. He just doesn't know what he's talking about with respect to BT-100s.

-Gary

20. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Mine was a Leo's grade 6 stainless...shot 50-50 with stacked beads,..to get the pattern up where I liked it took extended custom comb posts and about a quarter in spaced between the beads...not a problem as I shot off the end of the barrel anyhow...as nicely made as any gun twice its price

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what happened to the bt100

when did browning stop making the bt100