1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What you reading?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bisi, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Just wondering what you guys have been reading?

Right now I'm reading "Flags of Our Fathers" about the guys who raised the flag on Iwo Jima. In the last year or so I have read "Blood and Thunder" about Kit Carson and the settlement of the West, "1776", "So Far From God" about the US - Mexican War written by Ike's kid John S. Eisenhower, a few books about the 8th Army Air Corp, Gettysburg, etc.......

Got me to thinking. I've been reading all these books about US History from the Revolution to WWII. Nothing modern. Why? Is it because I believe????

I'm starting to feel like Gloria Swanson in "Sunset Blvd". She sat back and watched her old silent movies regaling in her faded glory. Is that what has happened to this country? I'm sitting back reading about our past glory. Anything new worth reading?

2. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Lately a lot of Elmore Leonard. Just finished "Cuba Libre" about the Cuban revolution. I guess I can relate, Bisi. Lately we don't have many heroes. Bill

3. 548

548 Guest

I would like to recommend a couple books I have recently read. Lone Survivor - true story of Navy SEAL Marcus Lattrel who along with two other Navy SEALs were ambushed by 200 plus insurgents in 2004 in Afghanistan. The three SEALs fought valiantly killing over 100 of the insurgents before two of the SEALs were killed in action. Lattrel was incapacitated with a broken leg and numerous other serious injuries, however he found a cave to hide out. After several days in the cave, Lattrel began his crawl to seek help. He was taken in by a village and nursed somewhat to health before being rescued by Green Berets. It is an outstanding book.

Second book - Outlaw Platoon - another true story based on a 2004 Afghanistan deployment. Also an outstanding read.

4. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Thanks guys, I'll have to check those books out. Both books would interest me. I got a new Kindle so I itching to download my first book and try it out.

Thanks

5. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

I'm finishing a book about Carrol Shelby. Read Darrell Waltrip's book for Christmas. Got a copy of 'Death in the Tall Grass' to read next. But that's my interests. Also reading 'Concealed Carry' by Massad Ayoob. But those are my interests. Charlie

6. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I'm reading Trapshooters.com at the present.

GneJ

7. wayno

wayno TS Member

the sun also rises. for the fifth or sixth time.

a novel by the greatest prose writer of the 20th century.

8. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Just finished a biography of Jimmy Stewart's life and his experience as a pilot and officer in WWII. He was the real deal. Martinpicker

9. skeezix

skeezix Member

'Castles of Steel' really interesting book on the naval aspect of WW1. There was a point just before the US finally declared war when Germany was within about 6 weeks of winning the war by their unrestricted submarine war. Of course the unrestricted submarine war was essentially what finally led the US to declare war on Germany.

10. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Just finished "To Kill a Mockingbird". Had not read it since American Lit class in High school 35+ years ago. Great story. May have to break out the old Louis L'mour collection.

11. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

I read a book last week that was one of the most "interesting" novels I have listened to in a while. Exit A : By Anthony Swofford who did Jarhead. I read Martin Cruz Smith novels over and over, actually I listen to them, audio books and a lot of them.

If you want audio books never buy or rent them, the libraries usually have them all if it is an E-Library system. I request a book on line and three days later I can pick it up. MEL in Michigan and I bet most states have the same system. Great for the road, shrinks time.

Wayno : One of my favorites.

CM

12. glenfish

glenfish Member

Reading Manchester's book about Churchill. The Last Lion. Loaded it on my new iPad. Great for old eyes. Looks as though the book is a good read as well.
    Glen

13. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I love Hemingway but he depresses me. Not a surprise I guess.

Right now on book 4 of the 5 book Game of Thrones series. Quite good.

14. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

"Hitler's Secret Weapon" by Alexander G. Hardy. The byline is "The Managed Press and Propaganda Machine of Nazi Germany".

Mr. Hardy was a prosecutor at the Nuernberg War Crimes Trials.

15. rexxon631g

rexxon631g Member

Rise and fall of the Roman Empire

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    All 13 of the old Edgar Rice Burroughs's John Carter of Mars series. It's been 40 years since I read them.

17. Franklin

Franklin TS Member

home invasion, by william w johnstone, follows some of todays events by what this administration is doing or could potentially do.

18. windyflat

windyflat Member

"fat guy friday" Doc told me to lose 40lbs by aug..

This particular book seems to be pitching the paleo diet. If it wasn't around 10000 yrs ago don't eat it.

19. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Iam finishing up a sports book. "WHAT IT MEANS TO BE A BUCKEYE". Numerous buckeye football players from past years give a short history of their experience being a Buckeye. Excellent reading even if you are not an OSU football fan.
    Clyde

20. scott starks

scott starks TS Member

Back of Beyond by C.J. Box. First non Joe Pickett novel written by C.J. Box that I have read. I would highly recommend C.J. Box!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.