1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What year was the BT-99 introduced ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Feb 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

What year was the Browning BT-99 introduced ?

Was the BT-99 the first popularly priced shotgun that was strictly a trap gun with no other field or sporting use ?

Was the BT-99 introduction considered a high marketing risk at the time such that gun scribes would have guessed that it would fail in the market place ?

2. dmdegood

dmdegood TS Member

1968 for the standard model.

3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

First produced in 1968.

I believe it was Brownings first SBT gun, and I would almost have to think the most sold SBT gun in the USA.

I don't know what they thought before introduction, but if you read the last sentence, I think it was worth the risk.

Not a better SBT gun out there for the money (older models). In my opinion. Jon

4. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

In reference to the older models being preferred...

Are the older models a different design than the current ones ?

Or is the difference the amount of craftsmanship and care that went into their production ?

Have all BT-99's been built in Japan ?

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I like the way the older models look, with engraving, and felt when you shouldered the gun. I think the newer guns look cheaper. I'm not saying they are built cheaper, or changed anything as far as design, but I like the older models. You could shoot them for ever and not rebuild them. Back then there was no such thought of rebuilding, so that is the way they built them. As far as Japan maufactured. I think they were all built there, but Miroku may have been involved. Jon

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Make no mistake about it, the older ones are built a heck of a lot better than what has been produced for the last few years. The forearm issues will tell you this.

Handle both back to back and you'll feel the difference when being opened and closed.

ss

7. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

"Was the BT-99 the first popularly priced shotgun that was strictly a trap gun with no other field or sporting use ?"

Most American makers...L.C.Smith, Fox, Parker, Ithaca....were making SBT's in the 1920's.

8. Mono3811

Mono3811 Member

I saw it at the old NSGA show in Chicago in 1966 as a Charles Daly (Miroku). It was there to get dealer response. I tried to order one and was told to wait until it was in the catalog. It finally came out as a Browning.

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

The first time I saw a BT-99, they retailed for $269.00. We called them a poor man's Perazzi. I think Perazzi's were selling for around $1200 at that time.

10. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

Ahhh....if they would have spent just a little more to engineer a good trigger.

11. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

"I saw it at the old NSGA show in Chicago in 1966 as a Charles Daly (Miroku)."

Do we know who designed the BT-99 ?

Does anyone remember seeing it before 1966 ?

12. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

This was offered by Weagle of Atlanta, Georgia, responding to my inquiry on the 24HourCampFire forum.

"The BT99 is made by Miroku and was imported by Charles Daly before Browning took over the import rights. I have what I think is a very early version made by Miroku and is labeled "B.C My Luck" Which I understand is very rough English translation of Miroku. Apparently the B.C My Luck guns were sold in Japan in the mid '50's and there were quite a few GI's that brought them back to the states.

Weagle"

13. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

" Apparently the B.C My Luck guns were sold in Japan in the mid '50's and there were quite a few GI's that brought them back to the states. "

That doesn't sound right at all. We bombed Japan into the stone age. In the 50's they were making trinkets.

14. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Agree that we bombed Japan heavily during World War II.

But we also immediately went to work with Japan thereafters to get their economy going again.

Japan was exporting by the mid-50's.

I have no specific knowledge concerning shotguns or BT-99's in particular.

15. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

The only thing I have found out is the BT99 is a collaboration between Browning and Miroku and the first BT99 appeared in 1968.

16. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Out of curiosity what does "BT" and "99" signify?

17. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

My guess BT would be "Browning Trap".

Here is a bit of BT History, the 1969 guns are marked St. Louis Missouri while the 1970 guns are marked Ogden Utah. The 1970 guns have a stock that is unique to them. The 1970 model was the first "High Shooter" BT.

18. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

My 1970 is marked "Morgan" Utah (and Montreal). It has a soft touch, so I don't know exactly what the original looked like. What was unique about them?

BT99.....the first 98 were rejects?

19. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Somewhat off topic, but I'll ask...

As the BT99 favors the Ithaca SBT and the BPS favors the Ithaca 37... any intercompany cooperation?!

regards,

Jay

20. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

Morgan Utah is correct.

Browning had complaints the early guns shot too flat, so they changed the stock for the 1970 model year. I can verify the '70 shoots higher than the '69. They went back to the original design in '71.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1966 bt 99 shotgun

bt 99 japan model what years where they built

what years where the browning bt-99 trap