1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What year did 3 hole change to 2?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by himark, Jul 31, 2013.

1. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I searched it and did not readily get an answer. When did this change? anybody have some insight to the climate around the change and what prompted it?

2. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

Winter must be coming early.

3. mx3p4

mx3p4 Member

It was about 1996. That was the last year we had an ATA president who had balls enough to tell it like it should be. After that the ATA became more concerned with attendance, straights (however they may be attained). I have attended the Grand at both facilitates and although the Vandalia was nice it was overcrowded and needed updating. There other offers and even better than Sparta but they did a nice job in Ill. Sparta reminds me of Vandalia in the early part of the century. Sparta will some day be like Vandalia(?).
    The 2 hole tarnishes the original goal of the grand slam and that should be recognized with asterisks. Please read some of Brad Dysingers comments on trapshooting.
    r

4. 548

548 Guest

I understand the hole reference from the old Western traps. But how does that translate to todays PAT traps? Are clubs actually "narrowing" the angles on the PAT traps or are they just set more narrow from the factory? My club must have missed the memo.

5. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

It never did.

jim brown

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Ding ding ding...

Jim Brown has it right!

7. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I think it was originally back in the 70's when the ATA changed from 3 hole to 2 hole targets. In my area of the country, numerous club owners were setting their targets at the two hole before the ATA changed as they wanted shooters to shoot higher scores so they would come back to their particular club to shoot.

Vic Reinders was totally against setting targets in the 2 hole and Waukesha gun club was the last club in the area to change from the 3 hole to the 2 hole. Once the ATA declared 2 hole targets than Vic gave the word to go to the 2 hole.

Then I remember possibly back in the 90's the ATA went back to the 3 hole for one target year. I then saw previous 27 yard shooters start taking reductions faster than if they had a bus transfer.

I could care less if they placed the machines in the 4 or 5 hole as long as everyone shoots the same targets. Personally, I think it would be fun seeing handicaps won with scores of 91 and 92 again.
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin

8. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I know of a place that threw 1½ hole targets! The owner had an extra hole drilled and tapped. Todays Pats come with a 4¼" bar between the angle switches, but it can be shortened.

Many clubs don't check their angles so the fields are off causing shooters to think angles are greater than #2 when in fact, yes, one angle is more severe but the other side is less than a #2 hole.

9. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Interesting.... I shot at a club once that was using pat traps and ALL the scores including mine were EXCEPTIONALLY high. I felt all the angles were soft and never ever really seen a hard angle. I wondered if a Pat trap could be made to throw softer angles and it appears you have answered my question. I wonder how many people shorten that bar????

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The original wording in the rules was "not less than a straightaway from posts 1 and 5". Does anyone remember when we also threw 50 yd. Doubles targets??

11. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I have shot registered for many years and never realized the difference in target settings until I got on TS.com. I don't recall any where where the targets were easy?

Clyde

12. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Clyde, you must not be old enough to remember like these real old timers can.

13. jim brown

The difference is in the mind of the beholder. Some clubs figured out that if they threw the shortest, narrowest, highest targets they could get away with their attendance would be better because everybody shot better there. The rules haven't changed much. Shorter doubles but nobody was throwing 50 yard doubles anyway. One foot lower in max height. Smart clubs still know that you will get more shooters if they shoot better at your club so they work on edge with the narrowest, shortest, highest target they can get away with. Unless the ATA wants to send a target setter to every registered shoot this won't change. I remember when I was a kid I had to walk to school, uphill both ways.

jim brown

14. Hauser

Hauser Member

Any target thrown less than a 44 degree included angle (straight away from posts 1 and 5) prior to 1996 did not comply with the rulebook at the time and was illegal.

Jerry Hauser

15. jim brown

It also said that no winchester trap should be set in less than the two hole. Everybody read that part and forgot the rest. I have shot a lot of two hole targets and even a few one hole targets both today's targets and in the "good old days". I also clearly remember that it snowed a lot more, was colder and dryer back then.

jim brown

16. Husy rider

Husy rider Member

I do not rember the year,I attended meeting it was the year Lucky became Pres.

17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

A Pat trap won't throw the same amount of "straights from 1 or 5 the old Win hand-sets do/did.

There's only 5 degrees difference each way from center, angle wise, in todays target settings versus the angles of old. Distance and heights have also changed with higher targets and less distance.

We officially adopted a cheating practice of setting lesser angles and distance alluded to above in the 95/96 target year. The cheating began in the very early 80s and spread like wildfire all across the country. Some set regulation targets while others followed the cheating path as the best thing for the sport ever. Was that idea the best for the growth of our sport?? I know it was the best for shooting better scores by those mastering the handicap game. What it did do in addition, was to completely change the perception others have of our sport. Not such a great decision in my mind.

HAP

18. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Clubs that throw "really" soft targets hurt the shooters that compete at larger venues throwing "legal" targets. It's like "WOW! Where did that hard right come from, never seen that at home!"

19. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Hunter 44, I will be 80 if I make it to my next birthday. Does that qualify me as an oldtimer? If targets are easier now, how come I shot my best scores 30-40 years ago?

1oldtimer,Clyde

20. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Clyde, the targets must have been a lot easier back then......I thought that we all just kept getting better with age......oh, wait, maybe that's wine.