1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

?? What year Brownings were salt wood ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rodbuster, Aug 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

During what time frame were the Browning Superposeds made with the salt wood? I have read that long tang guns were not affected, but high grade guns were afected, etc. Would any of you gentlemen know the true story? I am interested in purchasing a 32" Broadway Trap, but I am not sure which years are the most desireable.

Thank you in advance, Rodbuster.

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

3. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Starting '66 till '72.

Almost all collectors believed there're no salt wood on long tang guns.

4. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Check out the website www.artsgunshop.com/. Art Issacson was a Browning gunsmith for over 30 years and worked extensively on saltwood Brownings while employed by Browning. He is now one of the top Browning Superposed, A5,
    etc. restorers in the country in his own shop. He has a good article on the saltwood guns on his website. He lists the saltwood years as around 1966 to 1971.

DoubleAuto

5. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I bought a Browning Citori Plus maybe 15-20 years ago and read about that process on here. I took mine apart and it was sure enough coated with a light coat of what APPEARED to be rust. I scrubbed the insides with Hoppes #9 with a tooth brush and it came cleam and has been fine . The rust(?) didn't do any damage.

While on the subject of rust in Brownings I have heard for years about the Japanese barrels being subject to rusting. I have left my guns go a week or so before cleaning and it has never been a problem and I have several Brownings. I have noticed a copper colored residue on my Plus where the brass touches but it's like dust and comes out with a light touch even a week later.

6. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Dave P,

Rust on Citori wasn't caused by salt wood. Salt wood problem only exist on Belgium Superposed when some genius thought of using salt to expedite the wood curing process.

7. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Steve, saltwood existed on Browning T bolt 22 rifles also.

8. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I stand corrected. Thanks for the information.

9. philk

philk Member

Rodbuster, you really need to read Arts article on this subject. If you want to get a quick idea on a gun pull the butt plate screws out and check them.

By the way I just got back an A5, 1964 Light 12 RKLT, that Art refinished the metal and the wood on and it is absolutley fantastic. It was a pretty nice gun to begin with just some light wear around the edges but a nasty scrape on the stock. Nobody is as fussy as me on this stuff and I really wasn`t expecting that great of job on a refinish but what came back was as close to absolute perfection as you could ask. Wood and metal finish is simply flawless. Color me a customer for life.

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

When I was young, I also saw several NIB Belgian center-fire bolt rifles, some high grade, with salt wood damage.

11. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

Thank you gentlemen for the replies. I have read Arts article and watched his videos on his wesite. I do not recall him saying that long tang guns are salt free. It did look like two of the superposeds that he was working on were both Pigeon grades though. He showed evidence of salt damage on other grades also. It seems like it is hard to see evidence of salt wood damage when viewing pics of guns for sale. I have read that it is possible for a gun to have a salt forearm, but not have a salt buttstock, or vice versa.

12. butcher

butcher Member

Does Browning make it good for the damage to the gun?

13. ink ball

ink ball Member

Excerpt from the "Blue Book of Gun Values", by S. P Fjestad:

"During late 1966, Browning's salt wood problems began to emerge, and continued until 1972. Most experts have never seen a long tang salt gun, and therefore believe that almost 100% of the salt guns had short tangs."

14. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Referencing pages 245-7 The Browning Superposed...

In part... the process was sold to Browning in 1965 from Morton Salt... affecting 90% of all Browning Firearms 1967-9... continued until 1972 in much smaller numbers... in 1972 they eventually burned the remaining blanks... as a general rule higher grades more likely to be affected than grade 1s... butts more than forearms... recommended to check all firearms from 1966-72... originally discovered on the T-Bolt rifles, eventually found on all including Mausers and Hi-Power pistols... warranted to original owners with registered warranty cards - secondary owners directed to other repair sources.

Told to Schwing from interviews with Harm Williams and John Val Browning - 1993.

regards to all,

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
browning salt gun
browning salt gun years
browning salt wood

browning salt wood years

browning salt years
browning saltwood years
browning superposed salt wood