Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What would you have done?

2K views 53 replies 30 participants last post by  GN7777777 
#1 ·
I stopped at the local Dick's Sporting Goods today to purchase some STS light 8's. I took 1 flat (thats all they had) to the counter. The girl rang it up as 1 box @ $5.98 plus tax. I had to tell her she made a mistake and needed to charge me for 9 more boxes. What would you have done? After the 10 minutes of waiting for her to correct the mistake, I wish i didn't mention it. LOL. gjmen

#3 ·
How could the clerk be held for the mistake? How would they know? As far as the computer knows and the ribon it rung up one box. The reg will have the correct money it and not be short. The only shortage will be in the sporting good dept when they do inventory of stock. As bad a co as they are I would have walked out. They don't have what I want and when they do they are higher then other stores in the area. I paid the asking price and the price I was told to pay and walked.

#5 ·
I have been in this position several times over the years. I point out the mistake and the cashier either says "Oops, I'll fix it" or "I am never wrong, you must have made a mistake" When they take the latter response, I walk out with the 'bargain'. Hey, I tried. It all depends on the attitude. If the cashier gets all huffy about it, I'll take the product and leave. I tried. It happened to me this last weekend at a hotel. The guy behind he counter said that NOTHING was his fault. People who are always right get little or no sympathy from me. If they get crucified at the end of the day, it's not because I didn't make the attempt.
JMHO.

Shawn

#7 ·
I would not steal shells from a store or another shooters car at a trap shoot. I would not steal a target from a scorer who made a mistake marking my score sheet.

When a clerk mistakenly overcharges me for an item, I get the problem fixed. I do the same thing when I am undercharged.

Last night I drove through a quick food place and ordered 2 McChicken sandwiches and an order of French fries. As I drove off I checked the bag (I always do that) and discovered 4 sandwiches and 2 orders of fries. I went inside and explained the situation to the manager. He told me that he could not take the extra food back but he did give me a $20 gift certificate for my trouble. That was nice. Wish the place had better food now that I have a gift certificate.

Pat Ireland

#8 ·
The dicks near me been open for a year, still do not have their %&^# together at checking out. The clerk at the gun/ammo counter has to walk up to the front of the store with you. Then they must scan each individual box, then the 10% coupon. God for bid you have a 10 off coupon! but right now its the only place left to go with out paying through the nose. walmart will match their regular price not sale price also they never have what i want. mostly federal party packs and hunting loads. As far as walmart having a case of anything forget it.
I still wouldnt feel good about walking out becouse some kid screwed up.

#9 ·
A poster here order 1 (one) bottle of grease from Brownell and got 1 (one) case of the stuff. Just to see what would happen he ordered another 1 (one). Again he got 1 (one) case. People here on TS.com even asked if he wanted to sell any of it. They did not smoke his back sides but yet you all wish to now stand on your soapbox and act so rightous. Walmat and Dicks are putting the small guy out of buisness but you all stil wish to stand up for them. Once they have the small guy out of the way they will make you pay there after. If any of you were in a gun show, yard sale, estate sale and you see a gun that is worth say $1500.00 + priced say for $500.00 I doubt any of you all would go up to that person who is having the sale and say anything to them. You all would grad the gun, pay for it and run like hell. The person rung the item up and you paid the price that you were told to pay. That is not stealing. Besides we are all told to watch the ring up because the stores will run sales but not adjust the computer to match the sale price. They will hope you don't notice that you paid reg price and not sale price. Dateline did a show just on stores that did not adjust their computers to sale prices and they would point it out to the manager and then come back a week later and the problem was not fixed. Its good to turn the table on them every once and awhile.

#12 ·
What a bunch of hypocrites. You all preach a good sermon here on TS.com but if any of you all had the chance to save money you all would take it. You all would walk out the door with a smile. Its an known fact that trapshooters are tight with their money and will do anything to save money.

#14 ·
If you strive to do the right thing each and every time, you won’t have to second guess your own actions.

A funny and similar thing happened to me at Bass Pro (Dallas). The cashier scanned the case; no SKU in the system; asked me to open the case to scan a box; no problem. The box of 25 scanned fine and returned the correct price. We then proceeded to open and pull out every box from 8 identical flats since I could not convince the cashier or the supervisor that they were all the same! We set up a small processing line. The supervisor and I pulled the boxes out, the cashier scanned them, and my wife repacked them. We got a chuckle as we wheeled them to the truck. We didn’t blame or get upset at the employees since it was obvious that they didn’t know shells from fishing lures. Hopefully the cashier and supervisor, both being quite young, were using their earnings for college tuition.

#17 ·
Anyone that left without paying for the other nine boxes is a THIEF! If you were overcharged by nine boxes(or one)you sure wouldn't have left the store without a correction! Anytime in life that a mistake like this is made that you are aware of and you don't correct it you are WRONG! Plain and simple! I have a son-in-law that always puts his case of pop on the bottom rack of the grocery cart, hoping the clerk will overlook it. If he's caught he just says 'sorry I forgot it' and if the clerk doesn't see it he steals it! My son-in-law is a THIEF!

#18 ·
I just had a similar situation last week. My trap field sells punch cards that are good for 10 rounds. I went in and purchased one in the morning and it was particularly busy. When I got out to the field, I discovered that 2 cards had stuck together and I had an extra that I'd not paid for.

I shot 4 rounds and returned to the office to give them the extra card.

In my mind, it is very clearly wrong to capitalize on someone else's mistake. Theft is theft no matter what you do in your mind to dress it differently.

#21 ·
I have had this sort of thing happen to me, and I aways think that the Trap Gods will make me pay big time if I cheat/steal. Something like, Walking out to the line to shoot in the GAH and all I can think about is I stole the shells I'm using!

OR, there would have be an honest trap shooter standing behind me in line, and when I started to walk out they would tell the clerk and the store manager would then be standing next to the door and stop me!

Better yet, your bragging to your buddies at the shoot about your good fortune and your 10 yr. old son/daughter is within ear shot! How do you explain that to them? It's ok to steal if you don't get caught?

Be happy in the fact that you made a good choice in life!

Duke

#22 ·
To all you righteous, "holier-than thou" people here, lemme ask ya something. What would you do if ya had to use a pay phone, and when ya hung up the reciever, your change came back? Or ya found a quarter in the coin return when ya got there. What are ya gonna do with the money???? It ain't yours, u cant keep it, or ya will make friends with the devil. Think about it before ya acuse someone else of being a thief.

#23 ·
I'm not on either side in this fight but here is what had happen to me.

I was in Mt Gander in Fredricksburg, Va. I went to buy a good duck hunting outfit. I look at all they had and found an outfit that was a 3 in one coat. It was on a rack that that had about 6 others on it for $59.00. I liked what I saw and took one to the register with a matching bibbs. The bibbs rung up with the right price and the coat rung up at $179.00. I told the young girl that the price was wrong and that it should be $59.00. She said that she can only go by what the register tells her. I said thats fine but I also know that you are in the middle. Who do I talk to about it? She made a call and said that the manager is in the department where I got the coat. I went over and talked to him. He was sitting on one of the tables with a somewhat of a bad look on his face. I explained things to him and he said that the coat was put on the wrong rack. I said fine but there were 5 to 6 others on the rack with the $59.00 on the rack. If there was only one on the rack I would be in the wrong but there were 5 to 6. He stood fast and did not want to do anything about it. I then looked at him and said OK you do what you feel you have to and I will do the same. But before I leave this town I will be going by the BBB and tell them how you all are doing bait and switch on the customers here and I will not be finished with just that. As I was turning to walk out of the store he said in an angry voice OK YOU CAN HAVE IT AT THAT PRICE. HOPE YOUR HAPPY. He never got off the table and stook in front of me and look me in the eye, with that attitued I knew what was going on. He was hoping that people when checking out with other things would not noticed the price difference and or would just pay the extra cost.

I have friends who have families and with that buy a good amount of groceries. They have learned to look at the food prices and keep track of them and then match them with the print out sheet the register. One friend said they have found a difference as high as $20.00 and change. Low as $1.00 to $3.00. I to saw the Dateline report on stores and bar codes. Some stores would have a sale and post the sale price but not adjust the register for the sale price. If the customer did notice then they would give back the money, if they did not then they made more money for the store. That is stealing from the customer but no one does anything about it.

#26 ·
Identical thing happened to me at Wal-Mart two years ago: Charged the one-box price ($4.14) for a flat of STS. I didn't catch it until I got home and thought "I scored!!" (Bought a BUNCH of stuff that day...)
Well, for about four days I felt so guilty about it that I went back to WM, to the customer service counter, and told them what happened.
To be honest, I half expected (hoped?) that they'd say there was nothing they could do about it, but they happily took the rest of the money and I almost as happily paid.

Karma....you did the right thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.