1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What would you have done?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gjmen, Jul 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gjmen

gjmen Member

I stopped at the local Dick's Sporting Goods today to purchase some STS light 8's. I took 1 flat (thats all they had) to the counter. The girl rang it up as 1 box @ $5.98 plus tax. I had to tell her she made a mistake and needed to charge me for 9 more boxes. What would you have done? After the 10 minutes of waiting for her to correct the mistake, I wish i didn't mention it. LOL. gjmen

2. C H S

C H S TS Member

Same thing!

Andy

3. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

How could the clerk be held for the mistake? How would they know? As far as the computer knows and the ribon it rung up one box. The reg will have the correct money it and not be short. The only shortage will be in the sporting good dept when they do inventory of stock. As bad a co as they are I would have walked out. They don't have what I want and when they do they are higher then other stores in the area. I paid the asking price and the price I was told to pay and walked.

4. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

So would the answers change for anyone depending on the store? Same answer for the local sporting goods store or for Wallyworld? Jake

5. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

I have been in this position several times over the years. I point out the mistake and the cashier either says "Oops, I'll fix it" or "I am never wrong, you must have made a mistake" When they take the latter response, I walk out with the 'bargain'. Hey, I tried. It all depends on the attitude. If the cashier gets all huffy about it, I'll take the product and leave. I tried. It happened to me this last weekend at a hotel. The guy behind he counter said that NOTHING was his fault. People who are always right get little or no sympathy from me. If they get crucified at the end of the day, it's not because I didn't make the attempt.
    JMHO.

Shawn

6. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Stealing comes in many different forms. Take your pick.

Don

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

I would not steal shells from a store or another shooters car at a trap shoot. I would not steal a target from a scorer who made a mistake marking my score sheet.

When a clerk mistakenly overcharges me for an item, I get the problem fixed. I do the same thing when I am undercharged.

Last night I drove through a quick food place and ordered 2 McChicken sandwiches and an order of French fries. As I drove off I checked the bag (I always do that) and discovered 4 sandwiches and 2 orders of fries. I went inside and explained the situation to the manager. He told me that he could not take the extra food back but he did give me a $20 gift certificate for my trouble. That was nice. Wish the place had better food now that I have a gift certificate.

Pat Ireland

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

The dicks near me been open for a year, still do not have their %&^# together at checking out. The clerk at the gun/ammo counter has to walk up to the front of the store with you. Then they must scan each individual box, then the 10% coupon. God for bid you have a 10 off coupon! but right now its the only place left to go with out paying through the nose. walmart will match their regular price not sale price also they never have what i want. mostly federal party packs and hunting loads. As far as walmart having a case of anything forget it.
    I still wouldnt feel good about walking out becouse some kid screwed up.

9. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

A poster here order 1 (one) bottle of grease from Brownell and got 1 (one) case of the stuff. Just to see what would happen he ordered another 1 (one). Again he got 1 (one) case. People here on TS.com even asked if he wanted to sell any of it. They did not smoke his back sides but yet you all wish to now stand on your soapbox and act so rightous. Walmat and Dicks are putting the small guy out of buisness but you all stil wish to stand up for them. Once they have the small guy out of the way they will make you pay there after. If any of you were in a gun show, yard sale, estate sale and you see a gun that is worth say $1500.00 + priced say for $500.00 I doubt any of you all would go up to that person who is having the sale and say anything to them. You all would grad the gun, pay for it and run like hell. The person rung the item up and you paid the price that you were told to pay. That is not stealing. Besides we are all told to watch the ring up because the stores will run sales but not adjust the computer to match the sale price. They will hope you don't notice that you paid reg price and not sale price. Dateline did a show just on stores that did not adjust their computers to sale prices and they would point it out to the manager and then come back a week later and the problem was not fixed. Its good to turn the table on them every once and awhile.

10. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I too would have done the same thing. I'm no thief. Temptations a tough proposition sometimes though. That poor girl may of lost her job had you not done what you did.

11. Wilma Harris

Wilma Harris TS Member

Those that would take the bargain. Would you be comfortable with your argument if directed to St. Peter at the Pearly Gates? I think he would refer you to the old "Thou shalt not steal" rule.

12. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

What a bunch of hypocrites. You all preach a good sermon here on TS.com but if any of you all had the chance to save money you all would take it. You all would walk out the door with a smile. Its an known fact that trapshooters are tight with their money and will do anything to save money.

13. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

If a clerk makes a mistake, I tell them and ask that it be corrected, either way. Taking advantage of a clerical error is stealing, pure and simple.

14. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

If you strive to do the right thing each and every time, you won’t have to second guess your own actions.

A funny and similar thing happened to me at Bass Pro (Dallas). The cashier scanned the case; no SKU in the system; asked me to open the case to scan a box; no problem. The box of 25 scanned fine and returned the correct price. We then proceeded to open and pull out every box from 8 identical flats since I could not convince the cashier or the supervisor that they were all the same! We set up a small processing line. The supervisor and I pulled the boxes out, the cashier scanned them, and my wife repacked them. We got a chuckle as we wheeled them to the truck. We didn’t blame or get upset at the employees since it was obvious that they didn’t know shells from fishing lures. Hopefully the cashier and supervisor, both being quite young, were using their earnings for college tuition.

15. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

same thing

regards from Iowa

Gene

16. C H S

C H S TS Member

I have always been impressed with how much effort thieves, cheats and smokers will put into thinking up excuses to justify what they do.

Andy

17. geneleroy

geneleroy TS Member

Anyone that left without paying for the other nine boxes is a THIEF! If you were overcharged by nine boxes(or one)you sure wouldn't have left the store without a correction! Anytime in life that a mistake like this is made that you are aware of and you don't correct it you are WRONG! Plain and simple! I have a son-in-law that always puts his case of pop on the bottom rack of the grocery cart, hoping the clerk will overlook it. If he's caught he just says 'sorry I forgot it' and if the clerk doesn't see it he steals it! My son-in-law is a THIEF!

18. anonemouse

anonemouse TS Member

I just had a similar situation last week. My trap field sells punch cards that are good for 10 rounds. I went in and purchased one in the morning and it was particularly busy. When I got out to the field, I discovered that 2 cards had stuck together and I had an extra that I'd not paid for.

I shot 4 rounds and returned to the office to give them the extra card.

In my mind, it is very clearly wrong to capitalize on someone else's mistake. Theft is theft no matter what you do in your mind to dress it differently.

19. scratcher

scratcher TS Member

GOD was watching and you made him smile............

20. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

You did the right thing and are the better person for it. To many people would have taken advantage of the situation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.