1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Wyoharris, May 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wyoharris

Wyoharris TS Member

I am a 4-H leader for Converse county Shooting sports. We are only about 3 years into a trap program. Most of our kids are involved in several events like air rifles, pistols, .22's...Our theory is, anytime you have a kid burning powder and pulling a trigger, its a good thing! Seems nuts to me, as long as they are fulfilling the practice requirements, anything else they want to do is fine!

2. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

Sounds like He's got a fine program on how to teach kids to take up fishing instead. Jon

3. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I think that the coach wants the trophy more than the kids do.....

4. rmngtngrl

rmngtngrl TS Member

The SCTP was started to introduce young shooters to the sport of shooting. Now it has taken on this huge life of it's own with coaches putting mandates on when kids can shoot?? Why? The whole point of the SCTP was to have more kid participation at ATA shoots (or Sporting Clay Events Or SKeet Events)I am a coach and I encourage all my participants to shoot..ATA..whatever they want to... I think that the more they shoot the better they become...this is not supposed about winning or losing this is supposed to be about kids having fun or it was meant to..(and before you ask YES I coach a team of kids who are top in the state also)...BUT....first and foremost...they are kids ...having fun...being introduced to a sport that continues well beyond their school age life...let them shoot..this thing has become worse than Little league and I think that the more positive experiences they have now the more likely they are to continue with the shooting in the future....I think that when a coaches ego gets in the way it is time to look at why... as to the statement that the kids are being rude and not following the rules...again this program was meant to INTRODUCE KIDS TO SHOOTING, NOT restrict them into shooting only SCTP!!!! I,being a coach would let them shoot!!!!..Being a parent..(which my son is also a team member) I would let him shoot!!!

KYM HUGHES

5. MXSHOOTER

MXSHOOTER TS Member

Would this happen to be in Rapid City

6. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I personally believe that any shooting is good and doesn't hurt. However, having said that, who do have that is willing to step up to replace the current coach when he resigns? Bill Malcolm

7. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

What does SCTP stand for? Jeff

8. rmngtngrl

rmngtngrl TS Member

Scholastic Clay Target Program.... that is what SCTP stands for...

I really can't see that the folk back at NSSF and the SCTp headquarters are going to like this..like wildcat says..this goes against the whole letter of the SCTP...

Not only that but isn't it a bit arrogant to assume that his team is going to go to Sparta... We have not even had the state shoot here yet...

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Shooting the other disciplines hurting Trap? Nonsense. Nothing like some skeet, wobble, sporting birds to make shooters recognize the need for smooth swings from the waist, appropriate leads on angles, and seeing just what happens when you do things right. As long as the competitors are taking part in the trap shooting that is their focus, what they do with their free time should be pretty much permitted and especially if it involves shouldering, pointing, swinging leading, timing, triggers, and follow through.....Bob Dodd

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I'd boycott that coach and hope other parents would follow suit.<br>
    <br>
    I mean, it ain't like those kids are posting copyrighted material or anything.

11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Kym said it best above - SCTP was developed to introduce young people to the shooting sports. SCTP was so named as the kids you're focusing on are in school and the categories are based upon age bracket/grades.

Bill Christy was the orignal head of SCTP and I never heard him or anyone else at NSSF insinuate that SCTP was even developed for ATA - it was set up to augment other intro-type programming Step-Outside and others, but to promote some competition among similar aged kids.

With its partnering with ATA, it has since evolved into some higher profile shooting at the Grand and state level shoots, but at its essence, its a quasi-competitive shooting program to develop new shooters, through school recruitment.

Jay Spitz

12. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

ffwildcat, I hope you get what you are looking for, keep us posted please. I'd be interested in hearing the end result. Thanks, Bill Malcolm

13. primed

primed Well-Known Member

In my opinion this coach is a control freak. I have coached 4-H shooters for many years and have never dreamt of telling a kid what he or she could or could not do outside of our program. Basically it is none of my business. If my kid was involved with this type of coach, I would put a great deal of distance between kid and coach and I would do it right away. Just my opinion.

Bob

14. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

When I was a teenager, my baseball coach used to pick me up for practice at the golf course. I was the starting catcher and batted 4th for every game. It didn't bother my coach that I was participating in a totally different sport during the baseball season , so why the heck should this guy care if one of his trapshooters is shooting another form of clays?

In my opinion, this is just utter nonsense.

Brett D.

15. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

While the coach's decision makes absolutely no sense to me, if the kids were informed that the penalty was suspension at the beginning of the program, then it was their choice to violate it. They had the option of not working with that coach. What these suspended kids need to do is find another coach and come back and kick this guys team's ass because of all the extra practice they have been getting shooting the other disciplines.

Jeff

16. lumper

lumper TS Member

If the children are using ammo set aside for the trap program than I can see the coach having a problem.

If the children are not coming to his practice sessions and instead shooting some other sport I can see the coach having a problem.

As long as the kids are shooting on there own and still participating in the coaches program the coach should back the heck off and let the kids enjoy shooting. I wonder if anyone has explained to the coach that with his Nazi tactics of discipline to the program that possibly in the long run it will turn more away from the shooting sports than it is designed to draw in.

Has anyone in the area thought of just telling the coach that it is time for a new coach if this continues? It is an SCTP team and not his personal team of little robotic followers.

17. 870

870 Well-Known Member

It's sad, the coach is way overboard. The reality is that when challenged, he will most likely quit. That's just my guess.

18. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I think that is dumb and ignorant.

This is a common thing people say but I'd like to see some proof.

Seems to me that any shooting one can do will be good and I don't know why anyone would discourage a kid from shooting.

The SCTP is supposed to be fun. I doubt if a life of riches is on the line, even if this team wins "Nationals." Lighten up Coach.

19. lumper

lumper TS Member

Ya know just another thought on this ...

Maybe the coach has realized that he aint no good at shooting anything else and that trap is all that he is capable of shooting and because of this has some form on inferiority complex and does not want the kids to outperform him and be an overall better shooter than he is. Maybe the coach has mental problems and needs our sincere best wishes and help to get him to overcome his own inequalities in life and ... well ... I feel sorry for the coach and if needed I can help him find some mental help.

20. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

DUMP the fool. He certainly is not a coach ??????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.