1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Darryle, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darryle

Darryle Slacker TS Supporters

I purchased a stock set from a fellow member that has a less than stellar repair on both pad screw holes that was not divulged in the listing. I am not talking a 1/4" or 3/8" dowel repair, I am talking a dowel a full 7/8" in diameter and 1" deep repair. The seller claimed he knew nothing about it and his "wood guy" never said anything either. When I ask for my money back, this was his first response: "I am sorry--you are not happy--try it on your gun" and then "--Put it on your gun and shoot the heck out of it--".

I am torqued over the deal, it is obvious he has no plans to refund my money and I don't believe I would get my money even if I did return it.

The way this is being handled has me fit to be tied.

I will admit, at first I wasn't upset, I honestly believed he didn't have a clue, but this last exchange has me ticked, because now I think he did know.

Here is the stock in question:

[​IMG]

2. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

it really won't hurt anything to shoot it, it will not show with the recoil pad on.

tony

3. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

7/8 dowel, sounds like it had a mercury reducer in it at one time or lead weight of some kind.

How does the outside look??

4. avery53

avery53 Member

It might not hurt it, but I would be pi$$ed too.

Maybe a mention that you will post his name on here????

5. Darryle

I should also mention that I bought the set for the daughter's Gold Sporting, when it gets cut for her LOP, there will be little to no repair to put a pad on with.

The outside looks great, just PO'd I will be putting more time and money in it to make it usable for her gun. I really don't want to cut the factory wood on her gun because it is really nice, and if she decides to give this up, I can return it to factory for me.

6. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

So the seller had never taken the pad off the stock? How did he get it off the gun it was on before sold it to you? I'd politely tell him it was not what I believed I was purchasing and demand a full refund. If he refuses, then his name would be in bright lights here and everywhere.

rm

7. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

how much are you cutting off? If 1" or more, dowel will be gone. Inasmuch as it hurts neither function or appearance, live with it, no big deal!

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    It's quite possible he did not know the condition if he never took the pad off.

However, I could not in good conscience refuse to take it back and refund the money, or adjust the price accordingly.

And that's the disturbing part, not making it right.

What should you do? Let us know who it was. Because he won't stand behind what he sells.

It's fortunate that cutting it may get rid of all or most of the repair. But that's not the point. What if you weren't going to shorten the stock?

The sales on this site depend on the honesty and integrity of those selling and buying. Those who lack either should be outed for the good of all.

9. Darryle

Here is his latest response:

I have sold a lot of gun stuff on this site--I have never had any one as nitpickey as you---it is true that our values must be quite different--I am satisfied that I represented the true condition of the stock in the first thread--Maybe you should not buy on the web anymore--You are also right, I would never return your money on such a pitiful excuse as the recoil pad screw has a repair--but I did not no there had been a repair to the screw hole-- if I had known I still don't think it is worth putting in a sale add--so be it--

10. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I don't see a problem with it. It most likely had a adjustable pad on it with a recoil reducer in the stock. Common with shotguns in trap. Yes I will agree that he should have let you know about it and had a pic for you. That would have been the honest thing to do. If the outside of the wood is good then be happy. Once you cut the stock for you girl and put a pad on it you will not see it.

Also thank you for not cutting the factory wood. I hate it when people do that. I have always bought a replacement piece of wood and cut it. I would then put that factory wood away in the closet with the S# of the gun with it.

11. Dougbbbb

Dougbbbb TS Supporters TS Supporters

Hello

After that response I would defiantly let us all know who he is.

Doug

12. Darryle

The hollowed out portion goes well deeper than the 1" and yes unfortunately it will take at least an 1" off to fit her, she is only 5'2" and 86lbs.

You can see by his last response, I am the one who is the problem.

I know that I have not traded here much, but I have on shotgun world and a host of other sites with never a complaint on how I represent my item or how I handled the transaction.

What pains me is he acts just like it is no big deal, the repair probably isn't, but the fact it wasn't mentioned, as he acknowledged above, and he isn't willing to work with me is what has me seeing red.

Even if he offered to return my money, I have no faith I would ever see it, once he gets the stock set back. He just strikes me as that type of individual.

Thanks Darryle

13. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Out him please; his response to you is out of line and the rest of us need to know who he is.

14. Straight50

Straight50 Member

The fact it has been repaired???? should have been mentioned. If the repair was neat and professional I would probably overlook it, but it isn't, its a shitty job of trying to fix it. I think you are right to be upset, but its obviously yours now. So cut it off and repair it correctly. Oh, and I agree with the others. Name him. I for one don't want to do business with him.

15. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

a "tempest in a tea pot"

16. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Yah-ah.

Joe's got it right.

17. Darryle

I could care less if you think it is insignificant, fact remains that I asked for a refund because of a repair not disclosed and was told no.

I am quite sure you two would just suck it up and eat the loss and never blink an eye.

18. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

The only way to sell is to give full disclosure and an honest description. In this case ne may not have known ( doubtful) That makes no difference. His response and actions are very suspect and his handle should be exposed to protect the rest of us. If I bought that stock I would be pissed & thats to put it mildly

19. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Any seller with a reputation they wish to keep would stand behind their item no matter how insignificant the issue might seem to others. Personally my reputation is worth far more than any stock. The right answer from the seller should have been, "what can I do to make this right". 9 times out of 10 its an easy resolve when handled properly. The buyer here may indeed be a bit picky but as a buyer he has every right to know exactly what he is buying. This seller does not sound like someone I wish to do business with.

20. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Did you feel you got a good deal before you noticed the defect? It does look like the stock had a recoil devise installed. Good idea to cut a different piece of wood besides the original, as there usually are plenty of cut stocks available. That way when she grows, or when you sell, if it comes to that, you can install the original stock.

Inquiry minds want to know who it was. Sometimes people buy stocks to turn, and may not take the pad off. I agree the seller should have handled it a different way. If possible I would cut the stock, and alter it so that it is functional, or fixed the way I would fix it. Depending on what you paid for it, you should at least have an acknowledgement from the seller, and a solution other then the full refund, if it is still workable. As has happened before on here, once cooler heads prevail, solutions usually are found.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.