1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by K80Dude, Aug 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

I sold a Glock 21SF a month ago to a guy in CA. He was not able to have the high cap mags so I discounted the price of the gun and sold the mags to someone local. I sent the gun to his FFL 28 days ago. He had asked for some additional info from me over a week ago so I sent that out to him. He claimed his FFL has been a pain to deal with so I did everything he asked and very quickly (same day). I receive an email tonight that he can't own the gun because since he purchased it CA did not put the new Glock 21SF on the approved list. So he told me he wants to send the gun back to me via my FFL and get his money back. That means I am stuck with a gun to sell with no mags, out my shipping cost to him, out the $25 to my FFL, have to sell the gun at a lower price since it has no mags and then incur another shipping charge.

Would you tell him the deal is done and he needs to sell it himself or would you give him his money back and resale it?

PS I am in a different state and the gun is legal here.

Thanks,

Dave

2. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I think he owes you shipping both ways and any other fees

the magazines you sold- so you received compensation

this guy was probably just a tire kicker - and window shopper from day one- they abound on here

regards from Iowa

Gene

PS the advice above about having him come to another state is not legal- he cant purchase a handgun outside his own state from an FFL dealer

4. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

I would say that at the very least, he would owe for shipping both ways and any cost to your FFL holder. All of which should come out of his refund if you give him one. It is his responsibility to make sure that he can own that gun in his state. I think that gunbroker even says that right on their site. Personally, I would call it a done deal. I would imagine that you did not give him a 28 day inspection period?

His FFL is not being a pain, he is just doing what he is supposed to be doing.

As a side note, the FFL holder on his end would have to sell it because the guy that bought it can't own it there. IF his FFL holder is a decent guy and the buyer explained it, he should let him take a pic or two of it and put it on gunbroker.

Also, if it is not legal for the buyer to own it, is it legal for the FFL to have it?

John

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

His gun now....his problem now!!

Curt - Delaware

6. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

Well all good points. yes I know the Nevada thing is not an option nor would I recommend that to someone.

I sent him an email last night being as nice as I could telling him it would be best for him to sell it and have his FFL ship it to the new buyer. He has pics of the gun since I sent them to him prior to him buying it. The big reasons I feel its up to him to deal with now is its been a month, it was legal when he bought it but isnt now (CA screwed him, not my problem) and it doesn't have mags. I reduced the price to him and sold the mags however I gave him a $24 credit and sold the mags for $24. If I where to go buy new mags it would cost me around $50-$60, its a new model and mags are really hard to find so I would get screwed on that end as well. Plus I really don't want to invest more time dealing with all this and of course its right before I leave for the Grand.

I am sure he would be more happy if I was to do all the work and he was out nothing but his time which isn't much and I made him whole but I feel its up to him to get his money back since its been a month.

7. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

It has been past the 3 day look over which is standard for any gun deal. It is not your fault that the state he lives in or the FFL dealer he is working with are a pair of AH's. He bought the gun and now he should be the owner of it. If the state changed the law on him thats his problem. Keep the money and email him back being as nice as you can but stand your ground with a NO.

8. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

I was at a gunshow this past weekend and a guy who I have seen around most of the shows came by and was looking at one of my guns that was on a rack. He had a nice older Marlin 30-30. The one with engraving on the top of the reciever. He wanted to trade a gun that I was not interested in. Anyway he looked at my gun and put the gun back on the rack. Turned to talk to me and then BANG. The gun hit the table and then the floor. All I did was stand up look at him and he looked at me and said "I bought a gun, didn't I"? I looked at him and said YES YOU DID. $$$$$ is the price. He paid me cash on the spot. Somewhat the same thing on your gun. He has had it for 30 + days and how do you know if he has shoot it, dropped it, switched parts or anything else. Its his gun and let it go at that. If he does not like it sorry thats his problem. After 3 days he is the proud owner of a Glock.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

I would not be critical of what others might do but I would return his money and get the gun back. He could have difficulty selling the gun on line because legally he does not own the gun and he cannot take possession of the gun.

Pat Ireland

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I agree with Pat-

regards from Iowa

Gene

11. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Pardon me for disagreeing with Pat & Gene, but the buyer should have had all his ducks in a row prior to securing the deal with the seller. The buyer created a problem and now wants the seller to be part of it. It's a poor business plan by the buyer and he should accept it and seek relief elsewhere, not from the seller!

Curt

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I would take the gun back less what you are out in shipping and FFL costs. You shouldn't have a problem getting a couple of mags to make the gun marketable so let that one go. My motivation for taking the gun back would be to avoid any possible ties to an illegal gun sale in California. Best of luck and I'm sorry you have to deal with this.

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Curt- I do agree that the purchaser is at fault. But, the question of how to best resolve this matter does not hang on who is to blame for the problem.

Pat Ireland

14. flylta

flylta TS Member

If it were me I would take the gun back but discount his refund all of your costs involved and the cost of NEW mags for it less the $24 you received for them plus a fee of 25 or 50 for your time and trouble.

See if he is will to go for it, you may make a little extra off it.

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

He can't get the gun from the FFL since it's not on the approved list. Call him and explain your terms for a refund. As long as you lose no money, you can sell it elsewhere. Seems like the right thing to do to me. Hap

16. IM390

IM390 Member

What would happen if he didn't like the gun for any other reason? The buyer is responsible for the return cost, just like you are responisble for a honest description of sale in the first place.

He pays all fees for the return.

17. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Sorry Pat, but after having spent a career in Law Enforcement/Prosecution, I have become tired of people creating a problem due to lack of proper planning (6 "P" Principle) and then wanting someone else involved or to bail their sorry asses out.

Had the buyer started his regress much sooner, then I may have some empathy...but 30 days later? Nah...

Regards,

Curt

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

Curt- I do understand your position but there is another point that you might consider. Your 30 years in serving us in law enforcement means that you have dealt with a very large number of truly degraded people. You have worked with the worst, and probably have learned to view others with some suspicion. I have not had your experiences. My work has involved dealing with business men who frequently make rather large deals over the telephone and their spoken word is much better than a written contract. I complete a few thousand dollars of work each week for people making requests over the telephone. I do not have any contract forms for my work.

Because you and I have had different life experiences, we may have different views of some situations. These different viewpoints do not mean good/bad or right/wrong, they are simply different.

Pat Ireland

19. cmptrwz1

cmptrwz1 TS Member

First the buyer is supposed to know what the laws are in his state before he buys a firearm off the internet. If you check gunbroker.com it tells you that the buyer is supposed to know and check to make sure that the firearm he is buying is legal in his state and in California they haven't been able to buy any firearms that take high capacity mag for a good long time now it's not something that didn't just start so he should have known from the get go that the gun was illegal in his state and also the ffl would have told him that to because he also could not sell him the gun in the first place and that's why he bought it from you hoping he could just transfer it and not get caught but did. It's on the buyer and I would leave it at that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.