1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JDNY65, Apr 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JDNY65

JDNY65 Member

I recently started shooting trap again after taking about 20 yrs off. (Busy rasing my children)
    Two years ago I starting shooting once or twice a month with my son at a local gun club. My old Browning Superposed is long since gone so I've been shooting my 870 with a 30" trap barrel that I bought back in the early 80's. I do ok with it but definetly prefer an O/U to a pump.
    I just joined a league for the spring/summer it's time to for a new gun.
    That said, I don't have a lot of cash to spend with kids in college etc.
    I am looking at a couple used 32" Browning XT's that are in the $1,600 - $1,800 range but I just came across a 1968 Winchester 101 trap in nearly flawless condition for $950. It's hard to believe the gun is 43 yrs old.
    I'd love to get both and put the Winchester in the safe but I've already spent more than my budget on guns this year trying to replace a few pistols/ revolvers that I regretfully sold years ago.
    What should I do???
    The XT's I'm looking at have adjustable comb's and butts, the 101 is all original with a monte carlo stock but it seems to fit pretty well.
    What would you do?

Thanks
    Joe

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Set aside a little each paycheck for the gun you want and keep shooting the 870 in the meantime.

3. brumfield_joe

brumfield_joe TS Member

I say shoot them both and then decide which one you like better.....

4. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

If you decide on the Win. 101 check the rib every few inches apart buy trying to lift it from the barrel. 101's are notorious for ribs coming loose.

5. JDNY65

JDNY65 Member

Joe,
    Unfortunately I can't shoot the Winchester without buying it first. I saw it today at a gun store accross the state line so I need to have it shipped to my local dealer.
    I shot one of the XT's and will shoot the other one on Sunday.

Thanks
    Joe

6. JDNY65

JDNY65 Member

Toolmaker,

Thanks for the tip. Anything else I should be aware of with 101's?

7. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

What would "I" do. Shoot the 870 until I could buy the XT. I wouldn't look at the 101. It may have some nostalgic value but that's about it. What if something goes wrong with it? While I am sure that parts can be found, it not a game I want to play. I have little use for old guns...I am a shooter not a collector of obsolete guns. Thats just me though.

Mark

p.s. Plan to shoot doubles? If not ...cant ever go wrong with a BT99 and you already have your doubles gun anyway (the 870). BT99....most bang for the buck out there and one heck of a nice shooter.

8. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Joe, the only other thing that comes to mind is 101's have a rather narrow pistol grip and if you have large hands the grip might feel awkward. I personally think the XT's are better guns then the older 101. I bought a 101 Diamond grade unsingle when they first came out and the grip was a issue for me.

9. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Nothing better than beating the crap out of some guy with a $15,000 gun using a 40 or 50 year old Winchester.

SW

10. The Stive

The Stive Member

Go for the XT. John

11. JDNY65

JDNY65 Member

Mark,

Thanks for your insight.
    I've got the money saved and can buy the XT now.
    There's even a retailer out there selling new XT's for $2K. Seems like a good price in todays market.

The 101 reminds me a lot of my old superposed. Wish I never let it go.
    I guess it's more nostalgia than anything else that draws me to it.

We shoot doubles once in a while but just for fun. I'd rather stick with one gun.

The BT-99 is a very good gun. I've never owned one but shot a buddies 99 several times and it's a great shooter.

Joe

12. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Get the XT...a modern gun, already backbored and soft shooting (I have 2); 101s are nice, but have been known to kick (the one I had was horrendous) and ask yourself...where will you get parts if it breaks? Lots of good service on Brownings from Arts or Midwest south of St. Louis. Best Regards, Ed

13. NMULTRARUNNER55

NMULTRARUNNER55 Member

Just FYI. Not sure what State you live in but you can probably buy a shotgun in another State. A resident of one State cannot legally buy a handgun in another State.

Steve Nunley
    Albq., NM

14. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Joe: I also would have to recommend the XT. I have shot the older Winchester 101's. (Many years ago). They kicked the crap out of me. I feel the XT would be a much better choice. Also, the XT has choke tubes. I doubt if the older 101 has them, unless they were installed. Good Luck. Ed

15. Bill Stern

Bill Stern Member

I had a 101 from around that time - it kicked like a mule! Hold out for the XT. It's a very popular gun around here (south Florida) and the guys who own them love them.

16. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

THe Win 101's were really noted for 2 things.......

1. Ribs coming loose
    2. Heavy recoil

If those things are what you want, buy the 101, if it's not what you want, don't buy the 101.

17. missemucho

missemucho Member

With any luck in a few years you'll still be kicking butt with a 40 year old gun; no doubt the XT will last that long. And if the ones you're looking at have adjustable butts and combs you're good to go for any shotgun sport. Tough to beat an XT for value.
    John

18. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Get the 101. Having multiple (like 8 or nine), which I shot the $#!+ out of, I have never had a problem with them, and they fit the average person nicely. Recoil is a result of gun fit, and can be reduced by using lighter loads. I love them. I use 1 oz 8's 2-3/4 dram

19. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Have some one randomly hand you a 101 or BT99 to shoot. I wager you'll not be able to tell the difference in recoil between the two.

The recoil issue with 101s is a load of crap!

20. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

If you want to shoot a bunch of trap get the XT. It may cost twice as much as the 101 but its worth it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.