1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What would you do? Potential Heart Attack

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by pyrdek, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Learn what to do

Click the link to see a short video about what to do if you have a potential heart attack victim go down near you. It also shows how to use the Automatic Heart Defibrillator.

2. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I have my own AED, really go to the AED superstore on line---get one best $$$ you can ever spend--take it with you when you're shooting, let people know you have one.

Most clubs are more than 5 minutes away from EMT's

Phil Berkowitz

3. RFGA2

RFGA2 Member

When I was President of my kid's high school Booster club in 2008, two of the local schools in Charlotte were playing lacrosse. One of the boys was hit in the chest and his heart stopped. a Medical doctor and nurse were in the stands and the highschool trainer had a Defib unit on the golf cart . The boy was turning blue, and they doc and nurse did CPR and the Defib unit got him going. He had no idea what happened but did go to the Prom the next weekend. Our highschool sports teams had 5 units and the booster club bought 5 more for use with all of our travel teams. In the next 4 years at least 6 folks were "saved"

My dad was shooting at the PA Sate Shoot in Elysburg in 1970 and had shot the first 100 singles. when they were getting ready to start the second 200, a squad member who no one on the squad knew, asked my dad if he could hold his gun for a second, then keeled over. His heart stopped and they got him going with CPR but it took a long time for the EMTS to get there. He did not make it. Had they had O2 and a DEfib who knows.

Now that I'm an older shooter, I'sm glad that the big shoots have EMTS just in case.

Bob Gibson
    Charlotte,NC

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Any organization that caters to an older group (60+ years) should have a defib on hand and someone trained to use it.

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Two weeks ago had a older gentleman drop on the line at a local club, during league. Supposedly there was a shooter that was a nurse in the clubhouse. She performed CPR, and actually kept him going until the paramedics arrived. Unfortunately, he passed away later at the hospital.

6. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

We have an AED at our Club. To the best of my knowledge, no one has had to use it yet but everyone knows where it is.

Tim

7. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Had that experience a few years ago, I was a scorekeeper and a friend of mine keeled over on the line right in front of me. THANK GOD our club has the open or out policy because when he went down his gun bounced all over the place.

Fortunately for him another club member had their personal AED right handy (club has 1 but theirs was closer), plus there was a DR. & 2 nurses close by they kept him alive until the EMTs arrived and transported him to the hospital. He lived several more years.

So if you or (anybody for that matter) feels faint or woozy sit down & rest then pack it up for the day. Ross Puls

8. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

thanks ross good advice Bill

9. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Year before last we had gotten our reloading order in and several palets of birds. My friend loaded all his order in his car(10 bags of shot as well as wads and powder. Then we started loading the high house with the pigeons. He had stuck six or eight up and then climbed the latter and I started passing more boxes up. After about twenty He said to hold up as he had to catch his breath. All of a sudden He fell over backwords on top of the boxes. Eye's wide open not focusing or breathing. I immediately dialed 911 and was thinking how am I gonna get him down to do CPR. Meanwhile I was speaking to 911 telling them where we were and what had happened. All of a sudden his arms and legs flailed around and his eyes started focusing and he was breathing again. Thirty seconds later he asked who I was speaking to and I told him the EMT's that were on their way. He says, "Tell them not to come." I said, WHAT. Tell them not to come. Well the short of the story is He had a defibliator unknown to me. Less than an hour later he was shooting a round. Scared the crap out of me though. I asked him if there was anything else I needed to know about. LOL He is one of my best friends still. Jackie B.

10. federal paper

federal paper TS Member

If the person has not went down {cardiac arrest}yet and is in the severe chest pain shortness of breathe left or right arm or jaw pain in men or in women pain radiating into back or upper gastrium or very naushes feeling administer 4 baby aspirin if not contraindicated for this person, they can usually let you know.Make sure to let EMT'S know that when they arrive.Then after or while this is going on try to get a quick medical history of person, and write down on paper so you can pass of to medical personnel. Allergies,medications,history, family members,phone numbers,family doctor etc. OH forgot above one very important thing to look for in suspected heart attack person will usually be sweating. Hope this spew may help somebody someday.

11. shadow

shadow Active Member

I have had a series of heart attacks over the years and like most heart patients carry nitroglycerine tablets in my pockett at all times.Open the guys mouth and place one under his tongue ater starting CPR. Asprin is fine too, but the nitro opens the blood vessels that are clogged and asprin will only thin the blood. A defib unit should be handy at any gathering of us old codgers !

12. SL900LOADER

SL900LOADER Member

Well we all have to go sometime, what a better place to go out...shooting a round of trap!

13. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Seeing all the comments of those who have already experienced someone having an attack, I wonder if it might be appropriate to have the ATA list recommended equipment (AED, O2 bottle, other?) required to be on hand at all state level and larger shoots and highly recommended for all ATA shoots below the state level.

I know one of the guys in our trap league died right on the grounds at Vandalia during one of the Grands several years back. Like has been pointed out many times, the current sport of trapshooting is definitely having a lot of older shooters being the main supporters of ATA shooting. We had better keep them, and that includes me, around as long as possible.

14. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Automated External Defibrillators

http://www.aedprofessionals.com/?gclid=CNqe6uHvkLQCFQqe4AodYBMA7Q

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.