1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

what would you buy for a fun varmit rifle

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by striper, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

striper Member

Well, after selling my mint 50 year old custom rifles that I never got a scratch on, I figure its time to buy a fun knock around varmit rifle. I love to reload. I have owned in the course of time Rem 222, 244,and my fav was the 22-250. I want to start hunting pigs in So Ga and will eventually end up in Tx. Would a AR 15 type be out of the question if I like to reload. Also looked at Howa Axiom in 22-250. I am open to suggestions. I miss not having a rifle to play with even thou I did not shoot it that often. I also think with whats going on in the USA it would be smart to own something other than my shotguns. Opinions please.

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I love the AR15 platform. The ability to customize the rifle exactly to your needs as well as the very diverse selection of calibers for the platform make in an excellent rifle for varmint hunting.

3. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I bought a savage 12BVSS in 22-250 just for varmints but I have shot alot of pigs with it.60 gr. hollow points.Savage is one of the best for accuracy but this gun is HEAVY.PJ

4. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

A fun varmit? Fred

5. concrete

concrete TS Member

Buy any thing in .223 caliber and usally you can buy bulk ammo for it. Fun to shoot with little recoil. We live here in sage rat country and they work well.

6. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

Build or buy yourself a 6mmbr cut for lapua brass. Savage makes a factory rifle for it. 100 Lapua brass may wear the barrel out. Scary accurate. Easy and economical to reload.

7. bt 99

bt 99 TS Member

The AR are fun to shoot. I had a original, but traded it off.

Problem with reloading for them is---the bullets must be cangulated and crimped very carefully. The strong action tends to shove the bullet back in the case when self loading. When bullet leaves the clip the bullet can and does hit the action upon loading, some times the bullet slides back in the case and when firing will blow the case in half, with only ejecting 1/2 the case. The next bullet going in will become stuck in the part of the case that is galded to the inside of the barrel. Had this happen twice before i load no more bullets for this. Also when loading military brass stay way under a max load as the inside of the case is smaller as military brass is thicker than standard brass.. Good luck. Steve

8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Any one of the good AR15/A4's in 223 or 204. Rock River with a target barrel, match trigger, 3/4" at 100 yards. Nasty pig gun with a good scope. The 204 is my prefernece but .223 ammo is much more available.

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I culled my center fires down to 2 rifles. A Remington 600 in 6MM that I had rebarreled with a 24-1/2 inch Douglas Premium grade air gaged tube. Works great for varmints to deer size game. The other is a Sako 300 WinMag for heavy duty work. Both these rifles are extremely accurate even at long ranges, why they are still with me and I'll never sell them!

The Ruger .204 sounds like a fun rifle too but too late for me to enjoy working up one of those.

Hap

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Many choices, and you need to get your usage down to define the gun.

The latest new rifle toamaze me was the triangle barreled Remington VTR.

In 223 there is no recoil because of the built in muzzle brake, and the accuracy with good handloads equals any of the hfeavy barrel guns.

And it's available in 308 and 22-250.

AR platform guns are another whole story, but if I was looking for a good value accurate low recoil gun the VTR bolt gun would be the one.

As if I need another one 5 varmint guns already). Sheesh.

HM

11. M-16

M-16 TS Member

I love the AR platform but Pa doesn't allow us to hunt with it leagally. So if it's leagal their more than accurate for dogs and hogs. If buying one I'd get it all set up origanally inside of buying a stock one and upfitting tends to end up pricer.

12. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I always liked the .243. The 22-250 is sweet but you have a bigger selection of bullet weights in the .243 so you can bust the bigger varmits too.

13. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Striper, I couldn't help but wonder where you lived? I am in S. Georgia in a little town named Blackshear. Waycross is the closest large town. We have a good bit of hogs in my hunting club. I've been wanting to set up for a full moon night hunt. I purchased me a 22 Hornet in a H&R bull barrel single shot with a russian night scope. We have tons of hogs at a near by place named Ft Stewart and I got my hunting course completed so I could hunt on military reservations.(It has thousands and thousands of acres to hunt) Holler at me sometime. 912 449 1010. Jackie B.

14. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Kel Tec SU-16-C. 5.56. Fun to shoot, inexpensive, fold up stock, lifetime warranty, made in the USA, weighs 5 lbs., picatinny rail, uses AR mags, accurate enough for plinkin' and woodchucks, Wayne

15. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

My 2 cents would be to recommend any Remington 700 in .223 caliber. Ammo is more or less plentiful, available in many weights, and easy to shoot. The Remington 700 is a great rifle platform to start with, especially in the varmint barrel versions. All varieties of scope mounts will work and are available.

I would also invest in a top-notch scope; Leupold, Zeiss, etc.

bluedsteel

16. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I carry a Ruger 77 stainless synthetic stocked .22-250 in my knock around the ranch pickup (coyote medicine), Leupold fixed 6X scope------rustproof & darn near indistructable.

John C. Saubak

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Fun guns?

I have a Remington R15 fixed stock 18" carbine in .223 with a 3-9x scope on it. It's primary purpose is for coyote hunting, but I also use it for gray diggers, just to practice. Remington also makes a 22" rifle version, and a heavier 24" stainless barrel version. They were making the R15 in 204 Ruger, but some of these are discontinued, so what's at the distributors or dealers are all there is for some models. This is a fun gun, perfectly suited for all weather coyote hunting. I did have a older flattop varmint AR with a heavy stainless barrel, but I gave the upper to my son. He's using it for varmints and coyotes. (And I've reloaded 223/5/56 for years and have never had the problems Steve is having.)

At the other end of the spectrum, I also very much enjoy my Browning 1885 Single Shot High Walls, in .223 and .22-250, both with Leupold 6.5-20x scopes. I've killed more critters with my 1885 in .223 than all my other guns combined. The .223 is better suited for target rich environments, as the 22-250 heats barrels up faster. But for gray diggers, rock chucks and coyotes, the 22-250 is the shizzle. I'd probably shoot these more, but I don't like to use them when there is a chance of rain, which means they're pretty much limited to summer.

Also consider a good 22lR and 17 HMR rimfire. My 22LR is a modified 10-22T. My 17 HMR is a scoped Winchester 9417 lever action.

18. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

I'm on board with Shooting Jack. Buy an H&R single shot in your choice of caliber. Knock around you bet. You won't worry about scratching one of these. Deadly accurate and, for little money( 1/2 of original price ) send it back to the factory to have a second barrel fitted in your choice of caliber. Brand new for less than $300.00. Can't hardly go wrong. My 2 cents...Larry Lockhart

19. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

204 Ruger in a Howa is my choice

20. JimC

JimC Member

You didn't define distance, but for longer shots I shoot an old Rem 700 in 222, and close, an 1885 low wall in 22 hornet.

For pure enjoyment, I'll take the 1885 22 hornet. Very low noise and no recoil. I relate this to shooting which is casual and never tiring.
    Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.