1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What would happen?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SONO MAN, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SONO MAN

SONO MAN TS Member

I was wondering what would happen if the wad is not setting all the way down on the powder. In other words, if there is about half an inch or so between the powder and the wad. Thanks for your inputs. Peter

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Powder needs to be packed tightly in order for shell to go off properly.

-Gary

3. SONO MAN

SONO MAN TS Member

Is there a chance that the gun blow up ? Thanks, Peter

4. sixten38

sixten38 Member

Provided it was the proper measure of powder and the wad cup did not seal it would be an off sounding report on the shot if not just an out and out blooper. No the gun would not blow up unless the barrel was blocked for some reason, such as firing off such a load and not checking to see that the barrel was clear of the wad afterwards and loading another poorly reloaded shell and pulling the trigger, then you may have an issue.

5. SONO MAN

SONO MAN TS Member

Thanks sixten38. Peter

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Chances are quite high that the act of forming a decent crimp on your shell would cause the wad to settle right down on the powder. I vote for: in most cases, nothing untoward would happen if assembling shells without seating the wad "properly."....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    With BLACKPOWDER, such an airspace can result in a ringed chamber. For muzzleloaders the bullet and wad need to be seated completely against the powder. For blackpowder cartridges the same, or a dense filler material like cornmeal or stacked cardboard wads needs to be used.

SOME smokeless RIFLE powders have been known to have a secondary explosion effect when used in reduced loads in very large cases. This can also happen with some loadings when the powder lays in the case horizontally, leaving a large airspace over the top of the powder charge, allowing the primer to ignite all the powder at once, instead of progressively.

As for shotguns, I don't have the experience in reloading them to know, other than blackpowder, for which the same precautions apply. I've only followed smokeless shotgun reloading recipes to the letter.

8. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Peter,
    Quit fooling with all those different reloaders that you bought. Set one up and stick with it.

Ed Yanchok

9. SONO MAN

SONO MAN TS Member

Happy Easter Ed. I am trying to make life easier by using one wad for two loads 1 and 1 1/8.

10. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Dont think that will work.

11. SONO MAN

SONO MAN TS Member

Wesley, I think you are right. Peter

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The Remington TGT12 wad is designed for that purpose. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.