1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WHAT WOULD HAPPEN??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blkcloud, Dec 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I have read every action has a reaction.. what would happen if you bolted a high powered gun.. shot gun or elephant gun to a un moveable object and fired it.. would the stock shatter? would the gun explode? or would the enegry transfer into the load and make the fps go up?

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

...sixteen people would immediately post and say your test means nothing, because it was overcast and you didn't repeat the test when the sun came out.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

You been smoking weed again???

Matt

4. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Did you ever hear of pressure test guns used by all major cartridge Mfg's?

5. quartering

quartering Active Member

nothing happens. recoil, or newtons third law, is relative. set your action in a 2000 pound block of granite and have at it. good luck with it

6. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I have heard of the pressure test guns but know nothing about them.. or how they measure pressure..

7. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I think the gun would shatter. I liken it to, if you could imagine that you were in an ice shanty that was shoved off of a cliff. If you step out of the door at the instant it hits the ground, the shanty would be destroyed, but you would be unscathed.

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Tron, ever turn the lights out and try to jump in bed before it gets dark? Or come home late at night and not turn on the light and jump into bed,, only to find the bed was moved?? Has about the same effect as stepping out the shanty door at the bottom of the cliff. :)

Hap

9. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Did you ever hear of a F-16 falling apart when the pilot pushes the button on the M61 vulcan canon? 6 barrel gatling gun, 20 mm round, 6,000 rounds per minute, fixed mounted.

10. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

You have never watched the great Leo Harrison shoot?

11. twotimer

twotimer Member

Tron, I live in Fl. What's an ice shanty? And how did it get on the cliff? Mike

12. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

LOL LOL LOL ,I like the Leo Harrison deal.I can relate to that,im his size!!!!!,whats recoil???????

Sandy,Holehouse

13. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

At the very least I would expect damage to the stock, and that would likely be the extent. Numerous reports of firearm damage have been reported using the Caldwell lead sled, and I would imagine that would have more "give" than the immovable object your talking about. There should be no damage to the action or barrel, as there is no increase in cartridge pressure.

google "lead sled stock damage"

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    <i>"I have read every action has a reaction.. what would happen if you bolted a high powered gun.. shot gun or elephant gun to a un moveable object and fired it.. would the stock shatter? would the gun explode? or would the enegry transfer into the load and make the fps go up?"</i>

Would the stock shatter? Only if it was poor quality.

Would the gun explode? No.

Would the FPS go up? No.

In fact, Krupp made a cannon that had a mount that forbade recoil. The cannon had a ball around the barrel that fit in a socket. The socket was mounted in a heavy, non-moving mount, that was fit into solid rock. There was no recoil, because the mount and rock absorbed the energy.

The Germans also experimented with a similar setup for a turretless tank destroyer. Our military also experimented with a non-recoiling mount for the Sherman tank. In both cases the recoil absorbed by the vehicle was severe. The German anti-tank Panzer did better, but the Sherman wound up damaging the turret ring (what the turret rotates on). Recovery to the next shot was also lengthened in both cases. Of course, because of the suspension, these were not "immovable objects", as the suspension absorbed a lot of the recoil.

15. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I guy brought in a .460 Weatherby to the gun shop I was working at to complain and show us that the attaching screws for his Conetrol scope bases had sheared clean off when he fired it the first time.....we were always suspicious he'd put it up against a tree or something to fire it...never did find out the real deal...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.