1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF THE ATA ELIMINATED AVERAGES?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Apr 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    what would happen to the sport of trapshooting if the ATA decided to eliminate averages? any benefits, any concerns? over the years i have seen and heard numerous shooters say it was to windy to shoot an ATA event, so they decided not to shoot in fear it would lower their average. i once saw a wisconsin state team member travel from waukesha to janesville, to get out of his car and throw grass into the air, and go back to his car and leave due to the wind. here in wisconsin, we have around 20 shooters who are legitimate contenders for the state team. numerous more shooters feel they are in contention, but in all honesty,in my opinion we only have about 20. most shooters realize that you are only as good as your last score. most people don't remember what you score was from 1 week to another, nor do they really care. what do you think, what would be the affect if averages were eliminated, good or bad?
    steve balistreri

2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I think anybody that'd be so worried about his narcisistic need to maintain his average to make the all-state "team" that he'd drive all the way to a shoot and then leave without shooting because it was windy deserves a position on such a meaningless body as the All-State team.

John C. Saubak

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Said very Well Mr. Saubak . With out Averages and or Class (yardage) it,s called Practice . I can shoot practice cheaper then registerd .

4. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

If you want to get your targets in to make the team and It's requirements, you shoot the program wind or rain.

5. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

I was thinking the same thing Shannon, most state's target requirements for their state teams are high enough, you can't be too choosy about when you shoot.

What's wrong with protecting an average? My handicap average has always been over 90, and right now I'm not registering handicap targets because the miserable cold and wind is making singles targets tough enough, let alone targets from the 27.

~Michael

6. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Then there would be no ATA. I think however it's about compation, if you cannot stand the heat in the kitchen????

What I do or any one else for that matter is my-there business, not yours. So if I don't like wind so be it...

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The end of the world as we know it. HMB

8. colobiggun

colobiggun Active Member

I like the idea of teams not being based off averages, but rather wins. I think making your state team should be from wins within your state with a point value system similar to the All-American team (with revisions of course). I've seen people win with scores in the 60's and lose with perfect scores. The best shooter I knew used to tell me "You can't eat your average card", meaning he needed to win with whatever score it took to continue shooting. He went on to win the GAH title, and made several All-American teams, never once sitting out because of the weather. I have more respect for him than I do for any average I have ever read about.

9. senior smoke

fred-very interesting.
    steve

10. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Ok, where's Big Don.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

I know of one state (North Carolina) that uses wins at state clubs to determine the state team. It is a lot of work for one person (George P.).

Pat Ireland

12. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

Texas has five zones with a "zone shoot" at each. The state team is decided by the total of the four hundred championship targets shot at two of the five and the state shoot. 1200 target total. No averages involved. You pick the best two of the zone shoots you attend plus the state. Averages are just so much bluster! Jimmy Borum

13. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

My only concern is staying on the 27. That way I can shoot with BIG DON. Also personnal satisfaction. But it's impossible to avoid bad weather shooting in NW Ohio. As a matter of fact, we never have perfect conditions. If it's not raining, it's windy, or both.

14. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Nothing - but there would evolove another way of determining the big dogs.

15. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Well, if your requirement is 2500 singles, why not limit it to the top 25 scores you shot?

16. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Jimmey Robinson used to pick his All American Team members based on what they won not what they had for averages. That gave the shooters who shot in less than advantages weather and conditions thru-out North America a even standard with which to be chosen. Post-2

17. senior smoke

post-2 i forgot about that, your correct.
    steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.