1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What would cause this?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Luckyman, Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

What could cause temporary paralysis in the hind legs of a dog??? cramping up related to dehydration? Pulled muscle? Pinched nerves?

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

When this happened to my old Rusty, it was the onset of kidney failure. Thats also why your story hit home for me. I don't know if that is what is going on with your dog and truly hope it isn't. Have you talked with your vet about this? If not, you probably should. (I didn't want to hear it either but I needed to know).

I'll have my Gus send a dog prayer for you two.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

My golden Retriever just had a stroke. She did not move for 2 days. I put a meat ball in her mouth and got her to chew it. Next day I gave her some casserole. NO eliminative function for 2 days.

She started walking again but her right rear did not work right, and she walked like she was drunk. Her head was twisted like she had no control of her neck muscles.

It has taken a week of coddling but she seems to be back to about 80 percent. Still bumps in to stuff when walking but at least she is mobile.

And she wags her tail again.

At 14, I am just happy to have her for a little while longer.

I would surmise if it's just the hind legs there is some disturbance causing it.
    Check and see if she responds to touching/gentle poking in the area.

Hope she turns out ok.

HM

4. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

The dog is 100%! No signs of anything????

5. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Like after exercising too much? Our Aussie has a pulled tendon and still wants to work hard, always pulls on the leash, walks wherever we go, but is lame the next day.

We try to take it easy but she won't

regards

6. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I just had a ruptured disc in my dogs back repaired. Couldn't move her rear legs at all. took her to the vet went from there to a clinic she had the surgery and was running around the next day.

7. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

You may also what to have the dog checked for Lymes disease. We had a lab that came up gimpy within a couple of hours. I thought she had hurt herself..seriosly. I called the vet the next morning and took her in. He had me walk her down the hall and right away he knew it was Lymes. She did eventually test positive.

The vet says that Lymes symptoms will appear all of a sudden, and most always makes the dog appear to be arthritic in the hips.

Doug

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Head/neck twisting in dogs can sometimes be caused by an ear infection (causes balance problems like vertigo). Some vets don't recognoze this problem, especially in older dogs. Our vet told us to put down our dog but my wife was smart enough to track down our old vet, who had moved to anothe town, and get a second opinion. A few days on medicine and our dog was back to normal.

-Gary

9. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

I would also, at least at the back of my mind, consider vitamin E deficiency. Probably unlikely, but hind end paralysis is one of the symptoms. And some vitamin E is cheap, can't hurt and shouldn't interfere with anything else.

Tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.