1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

what would cause a soft primer strike in bottom ba

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lovethesport, Feb 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovethesport

lovethesport Member

what would cause a soft primer strike in bottom barrel of mx8

sometimes the shell ( reload using win209 primer) in the
    bottom barrel will not fire---upon opening there is a soft indent on the primer and much smaller than the usual---the same shell will fire in the top barrel-------what could be causing this---thank you

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

crud in the firing pin hole// soft bottom hammer spring.. worn firing pin... 2 piece pin comming apart.. None is hard to fit.. Just got to take it apart.. clean it.. and change bad or worn parts.. When I do this at the GRAND 99% are weak hammer springs.. or firing pin comming apart..

3. lovethesport

lovethesport Member

pbb---the springs, pins are all only 4 months old and less than 7500 rounds---

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

And.. the point is???? The age.. I'm sorry to say.. does not change what I said..

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

A few blown primers could trash up the firing pin hole.. cut the firing pins.. Hard primers can also help in the destruction of firing pins..

6. lovethesport

lovethesport Member

time to open her up

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Does the back of the firing pin look like thes?

[​IMG]

Whiz

8. trapaa

trapaa TS Member

Had this happen to a friend, primers were set too deep. Gun was fine.

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Whiz.. Perazzi must have had a bunch of pins like that.. I've seen to many of them.. At the end of the day..I might design my own.. soft jacket with a SCREW in hard core.. The small crimp Perazzi uses just doesn't seem to cut the mustard if the gun is dry fired.. If Lovesthesport would clean his firing pin holes.. get a bottom pin from Bruce Bowen and change his hammerspring..I'd bet this problem would be over.. Marcelli's new pins might be the answer too.. When I see them.. I'll report back.. His 2 piece pins I've had extremely long life out of so far.. but everything fails in time..

10. lovethesport

lovethesport Member

i will check out the firing pins tomorrow---also---if the primer was set in too deep---it should also not fire on the top barrel ?????

11. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Don't waste your time designing a threaded core, the root diameter of the thread pitch is a stress riser. The best pin Perazzi ever made were the original 2 piece before they decided to cut cost on the manufacturing process.

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

A light hit can be caused by a sluggish cocking rod. The cocking rod is just one piece that must move to it's home position after the hammer falls. If it doesn't move freely within it's dove tail grooved journal, it will slow the rest of the firing mechanism.

This condition will require removal, cleaning and oiling of the cocking rod and the journal. Other parts that may cause sluggishness are the cocking feet and the stirrups that connect them to the trigger springs. Weak or cracked trigger springs may also cause light hits.

If there are no light hits on the the top barrel, the problem is likely not a sluggish cocking rod.

13. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

Barry hit my misfire problem on the head, a broken cocking rod return spring can cause it also, parts from Whiz fixed mine, have not had a misfire since.

Rick

14. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Thanks Barry.. I knew about the cocking rod.. but normally I have no problems with them unless soneone is swapping triggers.. Dan showed me the tight ejector trip rod being bent to tight...and how to test it... Rarely is that a problem.. but certainly can be.. When a shooter says he has miss fires with only 1 trigger group..the trigger problems raise its head..

Still.. on a gun that's new and maintained.. My first quess will always be firing pins and springs.. and dirt..

Toolmaker.. The 2 piece pin Marcello makes has a much deeper crimp groove and does not seem to come apart .. I'm sure in time they all do.. I think Perazzi has reduced its crimping pressure or something..

Marcello is making another design firing pin too.. When I get a sample I'll report back to the board..

15. decimamas 54

decimamas 54 Active Member

Mike, just like Toolmaker said screwing the core in it is not the solution. I tried doing it in the past and no good.
    Either you change the design like I did or you do it like they use to do it in the past: I'm doing just that when I put the classic firing pin together.

16. TOOLMAKER 251

The difference between the original pin and the current one is, original starts out with 6mm body that has a blind hole drilled into it to house the hardened 2.5mm pin which was swaged into the 6mm body. The current design starts out as 6mm x 2.5mm tubing and a 2.5mm hardened pin is swaged to the tubing, because the hardened pin is not backed up by a blind hole the new design is as best described as a piece of shit. I am sure you have seen as I have, the step area on the pin that supports the return spring crumble and fall into the locking bolt area.

17. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Toolmaker.. I've seen that area break off for the main sleeve.. and slide back and forth on the rest of the pin causing ignition problems.. I've only seen about 5 or 6 firing pin parts in the locking bolt area.. Dan has seen quite a few more... My money is on Marcello when it comes to the firing pin problem..and 2 piece pins.. All Good.. Mike

18. TOOLMAKER 251

Mike, I spoke with Marcello a few years back about the firing pin design issues and he does sell a solution to the issues that Perazzi refuses to address. I also spoke to Giacomo around 3 years ago about the problems, but his phone call it Italy fell on death ears. Fortunately I have a lifetime supply of original pins for my Ithaca/Mx-8 and MX-2000

19. lovethesport

lovethesport Member

took the firing pins out--they were really covered in oil---the pins are chrome color and seem to be intact--there is no movement and there is hardly any wear and tear---right now the whole assembly is sitting in mineral spirits---i do have a set of firing bins that are black in color and a set of leaf springs----

20. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Are the firing pin springs intact?

A broken one can cause light hits. The springs hold the pin back so the hammer strikes them firmly.

If they're broken or weak, they don't hold the pin back far enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.