1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What would cause a rub mark on my face

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TBFA, Dec 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TBFA

TBFA Member

I have a 303 that I love, but either i'm putting to much cheek pressure on the stock, or the stock doesn't fit right, because I seem to develop a rug burn type mark on my cheek after shooting it, more in the winter than summer. I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on the problem, is the stock to short, wrong pitch, drop, or cast, or better yet how can I fix the problem? Your input would be great !

2. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

Since you state it's worse in the winter, I would assume you have on more clothing or a jacket. I believe your 100% correct, it's a fit issue. My first guess would be pitch. Easy to try changing it with a few washers installed under the top screw to put some down pitch into it. If this works they make a pitch spacer that can be fitted pretty easy and installed by yourself.

I'm sure there are many more here with more experience then myself who will chime in ..

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

When I read the title of the thread I had to ask Is this a G rated question?

I am glad it was

4. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Something rubbing on your face.

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

It's possible your not pulling the stock firmly enough into your shoulder pocket also! That allows the comb to slide on your cheek??

Hap

6. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

I feel for you. I had a stock 391 that did the same thing to the point that I would be bleeding before I shot 25 rounds. Never had this problem with any other shotgun I had ever shot. I tried all kinds of fixes and nothing worked until I put on a high rib and jacked the comb way up. I will be watching this thread to see if you find an answer. Good luck, Rich, gyrine

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

gyrine,

You need to invest in some of this.

[​IMG]

8. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

It's a patch, not a cure. Rich

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Your skin is too sticky.

HM

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The gun does not like you. Trade it for a Remington 1100. HMB

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

gyrine,

Your gun can fit properly and the comb still stick to your skin. I use a small amount on my cheek because when i sweat my cheek tends to stick to the finish on the comb. The mark on your face looks more like a skin tear which indicates to me the comb tried to slide but stuck to your skin and took it for a ride many times over. A bruise on your face would indicate more of a fitment issue. Just try'n to be helpful. Looks nasty and kinda painful none the less...

12. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

You used to see a lot of that shave powder back in the 70s, before adj. combs.

However, gun fit is the most important.

Maybe your anatomy is changing to the point of an update gun fitting???

My son shot his 391 for about three years before having similar issues.

This year at the Grand, we found a new stock at the Fred Wenig Garage sale,(Barrels of stocks behind the Wenig bldg.) No problems since.

Regards.....Gerald

13. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

A soft comb will eliminate your problem as well. I have sharp cheekbones and not much padding in my cheeks. Consequently, I'll get a mark like that regardless of the gun if it doesn't have a soft comb (I've been opened up like that, bleeding down the side of the stock, after 2 rounds with a 28ga, and even a .410 SxS left a small wear mark on my cheek after a few rounds).

14. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

Since it is a winter time problem the stock length and pitch may not be correct. In the winter your skin dries out and becomes thin, try a moisturer on the skin that may help. Also 80 grit sasnd paper on the comb will have a bad effect as well. OK just kidding about the sand paper. I have always wanted to say that and I just could not resist. Have a great week and Merry Christmas.

Dennis DeVault

15. Stl Flyn

Rich,

It looks like it affected your shooting, as I imagine it would. Just kidding about the seriousness of your expression. Jon

16. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

You need the stock fit and refinished. Incorrect recoil Caused by angles in the production of your stock and possibly a bit of an uneven finish will contribute to this.

Joe If your in the north east PM me.

17. David P.

David P. TS Member

Call Shooter's Emporium and make an appointment to have a "Soft Touch" installed. The gun moves on recoil, but the comb stays stationary against the face. I would recommend the 4 way adjustable comb and the ultra-lite system if you do it. If you already have a "Gracoil" type, get rid of it, it will only increase the abrasion problem.
    David

18. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Sliding guns of any kind are not a good thing; unless you only shoot one shot at a time.

19. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Joe, I beg to differ with your above statement concerning sliding combs and the second shot on doubles! Leo H. and many many others use such combs and have no trouble at all!

Being a user of one of those myself, it must fit the shooter just as a fixed custom stock does!! If it doesn't fit, then your statement is true, the same as any ill fitted stock would be.

Hap

20. Stl Flyn

That is why I never understood the use of a mechanical recoil system, without integrating the comb with it. Seems it would at the least stretch the cheek skin. Jon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
adjustable comb seam rubs face on trap gun
adjustable shotgun comb rubs face

facial rub for shooting guns

sliding comb on shotgun
why does my adjustable comb rub my cheek