1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What would boost membership the most?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Aug 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

To get a permanent card

New Members first card is a Temporary Card.

He needs to shoot 500 targets each of 16s, Hdcp, Doubles,

He is then sent a Permament Card

He can then shoot any category 16s, Hdcp, Dbls w/o Penalty

He must mainatain 500 of each each year to shoot w/o penalty.

This helps the Young Family man, that takes 5 weekends a year to keep qualified. Plus they will shoot other shoots.

The All American Teams requirement will stay the way they are, but with the Exception they must shoot their states zone shoots.

All State Teams will be required to shoot their States Zone Shoots to qualify.

The Average Joe The Plumber will be able to participate w/his or her PERMANANT CARD

2. Dr.Longshot

To get a permanent card

New Members first card is a Temporary Card.

He needs to shoot 500 targets each of 16s, Hdcp, Doubles,

He is then sent a Permament Card

He can then shoot any category 16s, Hdcp, Dbls w/o Penalty

He must mainatain 500 of each each year to shoot w/o penalty.

This helps the Young Family man, that takes 5 weekends a year to keep qualified. Plus they will shoot other shoots w/o penalty and can play options
    if they have the 500 targets in that event registered.

The 500 targets must be on the ATA shooter information sheet when their Membership Card Is Scanned, Not just rtecorded on his permanent card.

The All American Teams requirement will stay the way they are, but with the Exception they must shoot their states zone shoots.

All State Teams will be required to shoot their States Zone Shoots to qualify.

The Average Joe The Plumber will be able to participate w/his or her PERMANANT CARD

All ATA REGISTERED SHOOTS LEWIS CLASSES MUST PAY 50/30/20 TO EACH CLASS NOT HIGH GUN.

There are to be no HIGH GUN PAYOFFS.

25S TO BE 60/40 example 25-24

50S TO BE 50/30/20 SCORES TO BE PAID WILL BE example 50-49-48

All purses to be paid by scores shot not high gun.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

3. missed some

missed some TS Member

so when does your club open and where is it located? and how much are the fees

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The members are the ATA not the other way around ... The ATA does not own a club, its a record keeping organization and makers of the rules for all shooters to abide by ... I was told by Neil Winston that the ATA has an office located in Sparta, not sure if thats true or not but I won't be making the trip to confirm it one way or the other so anything is possible or not ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

WPT - - 1320 Melmar Drive, Sparta, IL 62286-1167, right where Melmar runs into Masonic, right there in downtonwn Sparta, if you're driving.

6. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

Target requirement of 500 singles current/previous year is a good thing. Plenty of targets to establish starting classification for sngl. doub. hdcp. Sandbagging will always be with us. Why do they need so many targets? More added money for big shoots? No one is going anyway.

7. JTEA

JTEA Member

Boosting membership, and keeping membership who have already shot ATA. Are we not gaining enough new members, or are we losing too many who already shoot? After all, who brings in the most new young shooters, other shooters - at least in the past.

This also begs another question: if a shooter has shot say, ten years, and has never broken 100, perhaps a couple 99's, has a couple "good scores" in HCP but no big wins, etc. why the 1500 minimum requirements for the larger shoots except to make money in fees for the ATA. 500 / year seems reasonable and I think, with this economy, a pretty fair adaptation. I was actually below my required for my state shoot and, frankly, I decided a one day visit was enough. I worked three months straight in the Fall until the winter hit, picked up in the Spring again and, all of a sudden, there's the State shoot. Have plenty of years when I had more than enough, but work comes first.

Keep the discussion going.

JT

8. happytrapper

happytrapper TS Member

Dr. longtongue Why should I have to shoot 500 singles & 500 double targets to be a perment menber of the ATA. I like shooting Hdcp. targets the best so Thats where i spend my Money. Why are you trying to change everything ? Is it because you are not good enough to complete with the rest of us now. Do you try to tell the local gun clubs where you shoot at how to run them?

9. 1881home

1881home TS Member

Perhaps getting the ATA back to a record keeping organization and a rules making body might do a lot to keep our present shooters. In turn, they may then introduce new shooters. I've also noticed a real smugg attitude at a lot of gun clubs. This doesn't encourage new people to get involved. At 72 years, Ive been around a lot of gun clubs and I can say sometimes we're our own worst enemy.

10. zinger

zinger Member

Honesty and transparency?

11. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Honesty and transparency.

Jon Reitz

12. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Honesty and Transparency are nice attributes, but... the only thing that will actually increase membership is active "selling" of ATA memberships by other members to "qualified" prospective members.

Its a numbers games - out of every 100 trapshooters, only a percentage will ever register targets and of those who register targets, only a percentage will register more than a few thousand on a regular basis.

Members who register targets need to encourage their non-ATA friends to join and register some targets - mentoring new ATA members...

Maybe the ATA should develop a "builder" award for Clubs or Individuals who recruit new members who actual register targets...

The ATA needs to allocate some of its revenue to marketing trapshooting. First, as a form of family recreation and second, as competition... right now the ATA only preaches to the choir...

regards,

Jay

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

We are the only ones who can increase membership and we have to do it at our local clubs. At the least, we should be friendly to new shooters. Perhaps even give a little shooting advice and not require them to get their shooting tips from shooters who do not shoot very well. At the best, we should recruit and invite new shooters to our club and help them get started.

Pat Ireland

14. Dr.Longshot

Pat I agree with that but to make it easier and a less burden, lets go back to the original target requirements for a PERMANENT CARD. 500 each of singles, handicaps and doubles.

This only takes the married man w/children 5 weekends or Better yet Saturdays or Sundays to get in the required amount of targets.

They will come to registered shoots.

Leave the ALL AMERICAN TEAM TARGET REQUIREMENTS WHERE THEY ARE.

When they develop their skills they will enter events as they gain confidence.

It is a money and Family thing these days, I remember when I first started in 1968 how hard it was on me and my family. I took them to the shoots. Then went to grandma and grandpa's house.

I remember talking to my dad when we were in his garage and he had sawed off the top of my trophies and had them around the top of his garage say " IT IS NICE TO HAVE A SPORT YOU CAN MAKE MONEY IN " you have a talent that the rest of the kids don't.

My father was an Electronics Engineer at Curtis Wright and w/ North American- North American Rockwell- AND HE DESIGNED THE CONTROL TOWER ELECTRONICS APPLICATIONS for their Tower which was a seperate tower from Port Columbus for the Military planes they built.

He did not have a COLLEGE DEGREE IN ELECTRONICS, but he was an electronics engineer and had the title chief electronics engineer at Curtis Wright.

And in the Navy he was given the rank of ENSIGN during the war.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

15. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

The problem with growing the ATA membership base is churn rate of the newer members. If the ATA is to grow, they need to find a way to reduce the number of members that quit after a year or two.

Now that the ATA numbers are assigned by year of initial memebership it should be easy to determine who has stopped shooting within a couple years of joining. Poll those individuals and determine what caused them to discontinue shooting ATA targets.

Maybe this has already been done and the ATA has chosen not to make any changes.

16. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Tom's suggestion is a good one. If the ATA had a better handle on how their format might be broken, they might be able to fix it.

Another way the ATA could increase membership might be to get their problems solved so all the anti-ATA talk on discussion boards like this one and at local clubs can fade out. There is a gentleman at the club where I usually shoot on Sunday mornings who was strongly considering joining the ATA but changed his mind after hearing shooters talk about it at the club. Word-of-mouth is the most effective means of advertising and it works both ways.

Ed

17. missemucho

missemucho Member

While I don't agree with Gary on the permanent/temporary card idea, I do think he has a point about decreasing the number of birds needed to participate in popular shoots. I once drove 400 miles round trip to shoot a hundred handicap so I wouldn't have to shoot penalty at the Fall Handicap. Note that I said I did that ONCE! After that I decided it wasn't worth it; when I don't have the minimum I choose not to attend. I know that's my choice, but the average short yardage shooter who is faced with the 25 yard line when he can barely stay in the 80's normally is going to choose not to waste his time, money and shells when he can't be competitive. And shooting for "targets only" is the trap equivalent to kissing your sister!

And anyone who is worried about sandbaggers is naive if they think a dedicated s.b. can't figure out how to work his scores even if he has to shoot a thousand birds to get there!

We can cater to the hard core shooters, but I'm afraid it's at the expense of the long term growth of the sport. Time to decide which is more important.
    John

18. mmonique

mmonique TS Member

Myself and my two boys went to the Eastern Zone. We shot Singles and HCP on the warmup day. We only shot singles during the tournament as we would have had to shoot penalty in HCP. We each had about 600 HCP targets on our card. Had the target requirements been lower we would have shot HCP on Friday. We are new to registered shooting (07) and are learning the game. I guess you could say we are the average joe...limited budget...family commitments...but we love the game and participate as much as we can (money and time).

19. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

In the places that I live, two things; jobs and cheaper shot...... Many of the guys that I once shot with have given up shooting registered and are now shooting much less and just games or Big-50's, due to the uncertainty of employment and the price of lead shot.

Happy, or not, with the ATA in always $$$$$ that has the final say.

Kip

20. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Not everyone is a small business owner who makes his own schedule, retired millionaire or schoolteacher with summers off. More and more people are victims of the new global economy and weekend work is becoming the norm.

The ATA should get with the realities of today and reduce target minimums significantly. The exodus to Sporting Clays is encouraged because courses are open during the week and target minimums nonexistent. Todays' Sporting Clays shooters can get their shooting fix during the week and still visit Grandma after work on Sunday!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.