1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

what would be your best AA load

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by birddog1964, May 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Hey guys I found some of my fathers federal champion wads in a # 12c1 and would like to know the best load for my son. Using a AA hull.

thanks
    lee

2. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Depends on whether you want to shoot 1 oz. or 1 1/8 oz. loads.

1 oz. load in AA hull: 17.4 Clays/ Spolar 1 oz. wad/ AA primer/ #8's
    1 1/8 load in AA hull: 20.0 International/ Spolar 1 1/8 oz. wad/ AA primer/ #7.5's
    Both are well within or under book tolerances and pattern very well at around 1,200 ft./sec. Comfortable to shoot.

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Lee, those 12C1 wads are a discontinued wad for Federal paper hulls. You would be better off to sell them or trade them for some wads designed for a tapered hull (AA,Remington).What size shot charge, primer, powder,are other things to consider. Wayne

4. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Wayne,
    thanks for the info, that helped

thanks
    lee

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I'd ditch the 12C1 wad, since that was designed for Federal Hulls and not the tapered style of STS or Win AA. The Winchester WAA12 for 1 1/8 oz and the WAA12SL for 1oz, or a decent clone of those wads will do fine. Denser powders seem to work better sometimes in these hulls. The Wichester WST has been great for many loads. A bulkier powder sometimes gives people crimp issues. I usually don't suffer from any troubles when using bulky powders, but I've heard from a lot of reloaders that have. Usually a few simple crimp adjustments will do the trick, but it's a rough process on occasion. By the way, the 12C1 is not made anymore and there is a "cult" following for it. I'd bet you could trade or sell them off and obtain something more suitable.

6. Clay Addict

Clay Addict Member

Agree with trading the 12C1 wad. If your son is a young new shooter I would suggest a 7/8 ounce or 1 ounce load that is around 1150 feet per second. You can access lots of data on the Hodgdon Powder web site www.Hodgdon.com.

On the Hodgdon web site select "smokeless", "data", "reloading data center", "agree", "shotshell loads", and then fill in the data asked. It will give you several options including powder, wads, and primers. Follow the data and select a load that you think you can produce.

I would suggest that you always use data or a manual to select a load.

Good luck and have fun shooting with your son.
    CA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.