1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

what would be a good automotive clear coat in a

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Arch Stanton, Aug 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton TS Member

what would be a good automotive clear coat in a spray can to use on a buttstock I would like to do it in multiple coats.

Thanks Joe

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

House of Color has some really great products in automotive paints and finishes that would probably work on the stock ... They sure look good on my classic car ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. jrton80

jrton80 Member

I believe you will have a hard time finding a quality automotive clear coat in a spray can. If you had an air compressor and a touch up spray gun, then you would have some real choices. I used a product on a gun stack from PPG called NCT clear. Came out hard as steel. It was a catalized Epoxy so make sure you have a respirator with new charcol cartidges in it. For the purposes of a Gun Stock, most any clearcoat should work and then you could use 2000 grit sandpaper to smooth it out and buff to a high gloss (if that was your preference).

Jeff

4. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Goose is right. Take the stock to a local body shop and see if they will spray it with clear coat,it will have a hardner in it that should stand up well under use. Youll have to do all the prep and cover up the checkering. Easy for them to do as they are clear coating a vehicle.

5. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

When I do the clear-coat, the first couple of coats are thinned a little bit to help it into the grain more.

The real secret is the wet-sanding between coats and not applying it to heavy with each pass.

When wetsanding, use a block. This will help if you get a small sag or run. The final product should appear perfectly flat.

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

When wet sanding use Abralon in 4000 grit after the 2000 grit but instead of wetsand paper, you will get a much better end result and the shine will look endless ... I have living proof of it in my garage ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.