1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

** What would a modern depression look like ? **

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by InsureGuy, Sep 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InsureGuy

InsureGuy Member

Evening Gents,

I am of the opinion that we are headed for a deep, deep depression. Fiscally all of the stop gap, hand wringing, financially economy stimulating measures will fail. You can lower the interest rate to zero, but without jobs, there will be no recovery. We have sent all of our jobs overseas and our politicians (republicans and democrats alike) are too mired in a political upheaval to save this country.

I don't care what your politics are, the question I have is what will this depression look like. I have in my mind that we will undergo (in major cities) food riots, entire towns looted and burned. The loss of civil service (police and fire) and similarly the potential loss of the electric grid as we know. Call it 1918 Et al. Does anyone else see it this way, and if so, what are you do to prepare for an eventuality like this.

Some may say that this is extremism, and they might be right. I am a realist. This is the reality that we face. I cannot possibly see the US borrowing itself out of this one. Your thoughts ?

Jason

2. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Not to worry, Jason, war is just around the corner. That'll revive the economy, kill off a bunch of young Americans, and give us all something REALLY big to worry about.

Thanks Barack, you useless POS!

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The economy is a train going full speed, and the bridge is out. Obama has his hand on the throttle and he's calling for more coal.

4. InsureGuy

InsureGuy Member

I think your missing my question, what would happen to each of us in a depression ?

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Depends if you'll have the means to pay your mortgage, and how much food and ammo you've squirreled.

6. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

Good question. While I'm not sure what people's reaction would be, I do believe that our country is headed for a fiscal trainwreck, unless by some miracle a genuine political leader emerges who will actually stop this deficit spending madness.

As I've said before, our huge federal deficits are as dangerous as any foreign army and have the potential to bring our country to its knees.

7. oz

oz Active Member

then the muslims take over with obama as their king. oz

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

The sky is falling, the sky is falling......

9. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

This is not something that just happened overnight. It's about 40 years in the making.

10. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I know a group of folks that have purchased 30 acres of land and a small tractor and possibly a mule to cultivate with. They are each building a small building to call home and intend to work together to produce their own food. I believe that without God's intervention that is where we are headed. I really don't know how to prepare but definitely have ammo and such squirreled away. Jackie B.

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Leisure activities will be the first to go. All your resources will be directed to survival.

Shooters will be more likely to come through it but you will have to put your conscience on the back burner as things become more difficult.

All the people you laughed at for preparing will not look so funny.

HM

12. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Insureguy,

Your conclusions may be correct. It all depends on the extent of the depression. If it is global, as it now appears it might be, your conclusions might be mild. It certainly won't be fun amd it won't be short.

Cities will suffer the most. The shortage of fuel will be the biggest problem because it will limit the growing and distribution of food and other essentials. And, in spite of the push for "green energy, windmills and solar panels will not help in the slightest.

The world has too many people and too many of them live at or near subsitance levels. What will happen to them? They will either starve or start to move to more "prosperous" areas in order to survive. Would we kill thousands of people at our borders in order to keep them out? Would we have a choice?

These are nightmare scenarios BUT has the modern world ever faced anything like we face now? Entire countries are bankrupt and depending on other countries to bail them out. Every time one is bailed out, another is found to be in similar trouble; and then another and still another! There seems to be no end in sight. The worst thing is that people do not see the cliff we are heading for. They want more bread and circuses; more government largesse. I don't want to sound like Cassandra but.........

13. RDT

RDT TS Member

We are like a pine forest infested with pine beetle. There is no real cure for what we have. The depression has been going on for awhile and will continue for longer period of time. The rich who understand the situation will make lot of $$. And the poor will be no different than a walking mummy. Sadly for the middle class, they will work so hard and will become the new poor. Politician showed up with plans giving hopes to people. Hopes are very powerful but it goes both ways. Making promise that they cannot keep will only make matters worse. American has lost many battles and now we are hoping to win the war, will we? We are spending like there is no tomorrow, it would be a good thing if we are buying US made products. Unfortunately, US made products for every day consumer were lost because of the blood suckers system we created. As things progress the leeches, ticks will start to fall out from a dead dog. Politician stops plugging holes on a rotten barrel. Then we can start rebuilt and hope that our kids will learn things we never learn.

Cash is king!...But a wise king never stay in one place.

14. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I just heard a public service announcement from Washington that was talking about the "young people who were left behind WHEN THE RECESSION ENDED IN 2009!" Where have I been since the recession "ended"? My contacts are with the world of academia at a big ten school, professional finance people, International missions, local poor relief organizations, and Industrial manufacturing, in Texas, Tennesse and Indiana. I assure you, no one in my contact pool seems to think the recession ended. Most feel it is getting worse. What am I missing?
    "repeat a lie often enough and it becomes truth"

15. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Sorry People,but I believe you are all wrong. The very greatest need in this entire country is for the politition to get himself re-elected. That goes all the way from the little local city counselman to Mr. B.O. himself. And this inc the ones in Europe & Asia. So they will do whatever it takes to make that happen. Can they stop the slide we are in now? They have so far. Things have a very long way to stagnate before they crash as some above have suggested. Do you really suppose China will allow a default? Their country would end up worse than ours would. People are working,there is money out there,maybe not as free as before but it is there. How many times have you heard about the cash amounts businesses have but will not spend. Hey,the stock market dropped by 50%. Couple of years later it was near record levels. And Good People,it ain't just ol' B. O.& the idiot Dems,it's the crazy Repubs doin' the exact same. Would McCain been any better? Maybe a bit,but not as much as some groups like to believe. Tom Lobonc

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

A frightening subject that we would rather ignore. I would expect violence on a scale we have never seen. It would start with chaos in the cities and then spread to the rural areas as millons upon millons of people branch out in search for food. (which wouldn't exist)

Being prepared is even harder to get your mind around. Having a good supply of food and weapons would just make you a prime target.

I have had a pretty good life thus far - sure hope that doesn't change like I think it might.

17. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

If the distribution chain (Fuel, power, water, and food) is disrupted it will get ugly. Imagine a big city. How many people would even have a clue about how to survive?

I'll be guarding my deer herd with an AR. A wood burning stove and a hand pump well or cistern would be good. It takes power to run a pump, and fuel to make power.

18. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

A truck strike can cause this. Just In Time shipping allows stores to have less than a three day supply of product. The average family has three days of food in their home, with little water.

19. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

My wife asked; Why don't you get rid of all those squirrels in the yard? I replied, that they were our emergency food supply.

20. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

It amazes me at every store that I go into lately that has bottled water, there are people with carts full of cases in the check-out lines. I know this area has some bad well water, but it would seem more practical to buy an iron filter, than to spend a $100 a week on water. Are they preparing for armageddon?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.