1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What will we do????????????????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jeff P, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Well, Mike...

I guess I'm not going to be as harsh as Insight was. But I have to say that if you run the reloading calculator on this site you will see you can still reload for just at $5 a box with shot at $55 a bag.

Unless I made some HUGE errors - I don't think I did - and I live in Alaska and that factors in my shipping costs. It also factors in that I buy primers 20k at a time, wads by the case, etc. I shoot Cheddites or whatever's cheap. Claybuster wads. Promo powder. All bulk buys.

Anyway, I USED to reload for about $3.15 a box. Ok, now it's $5. On a 300 bird day...my shells cost me an extra $22.20. If you shoot 20 registered shoots a year (damn near two a month)...hey, it's an extra $500.

Hardly the end of the flippin world, wouldn't you say? Most folks I know pee that kind of money away on a daily or weekly basis. And a lot of trapshooters are pouring that $50 lead down the barrel of a $15,000 trapgun.

I wish the sky would hurry up and hit the ground, already. I'm tired of it falling all the time...

jeff

2. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Ditto what big Mike said! I think!

3. trident

trident Member

Jeff, How's it going up there? Getting pretty cool I'd imagine. Still pretty decent weather here in El Paso, been going to quite a few shoots here and in New Mexico in my off time from the Academy. Nice to shoot in t-shirt and shorts :) Tell everyone up there hi for me and see ya in May. Andy

4. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

BUT...doesen't it cost more to reload 410 shells? (hulls are 3 times more?)

5. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Just think of all the business for the tube makers. Everyone will be gettin their trap guns tubed for 410. Might start a fad that catches on.

6. Nyttro

Nyttro TS Member

I told ya 6 months ago, lead prices will top $60.00 a bag. It's on it's way now. At Sportsman's Warehouse lead shot is $50.00 a bag, and will be $60.00 by next Spring.

Shoot cheap factories? If there is such a thing anymore. I'll hate to leave this sport, but NO way will I spend that kind of money for shot. Guess the Democrats are getting their way. Getting out of my monetary affordability, I will have some guns for sale next year if this continuous RIP off takes place.

Nyttro

7. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

Mike,

You started a thread to garner some practical, constructive suggestions.

...as you can see, you're obviously in the wrong place!

8. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

MY LORD...now the price of shot is the Democrats fault?

9. trident

trident Member

rmy, I shoot at El Paso Skeet and Trap and at Ft. Bliss Rod and Gun occasionally. Andy Blore

10. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Joe Kuhn's comments here on TS.com are on my Must Read list. The work that he and his club have done with steel trap loads is to be admired and may be the future. I have a model 42 with a monte carlo stock that I picked up on E-Bay. Its fun, only has a 25" barrel though. How about a 3/4 oz. league and still use our 12 ga. equipment before going to the .410??

11. trident

trident Member

rmy, only shot at Bliss a couple times but intend to start going to the club trapshoot, every second Sun. of the month I believe? Will be here 'till May attending USASMA. Andy

12. AAA 27 AAA

AAA 27 AAA TS Member

If you are truly passionate about the game, you will find a way to support your trapshooting expenses. I have a hard time understanding someone who totes a $20,000 trap gun and complains about $35 for a bag of shot. I have a hard time understanding someone who drives up to the shoot in a $400,000 camper that gets 5 mile to the gallon on fuel, and complains about $65 for a flat of shells.

I know someone who lives from week to week and he is doing the best he can. He is so passionate about the sport that I get strength from his passion. He shoots about 7,000 registered targets a year by not toting $20,000 guns and driving expensive vehicles. He has his priorities in line as far as I'm concerned.

13. nomderf

nomderf TS Member

We are not quitting - just shooting at bigger shoots!

Thank God for my Terry Jordan wall chart!

38-01615

14. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I'd rather remember the scores I shot in the past than finish up my shooting "career" scoring 9s and 10s (if even that high) just to save money. There's a lot to do out there besides trap,

15. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Trapps is on the right track.

Mike, you'd better stock up on those factory shells...we have a temporary price dislocation right now - UNTIL the higher priced shot comes through the system and hits the loaded shell market.

16. lumper

lumper TS Member

When you consider the cost of hulls and such into your initial investment to reload how long will it take you to recoup that cost and begin generating a savings on shells.

You must also factor in and consider the cost of tubes/barrels or the cost of a new boomer or in the case of a .410 a new popper as well.

Factoring all that in how long would it take to make .410, 20ga or 28ga more cost effective to shoot?

17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I feel most shooter's will choose their shooting schedule as did Nomderf said above. That said, if this is a continuing thing cost wise, that will only hurt the small clubs dramatically!!

Who says we have to shoot 2000 targets in a few days at 100 to 200 per event to determine who's the hot shot? Cut that amount in half with 50 bird events and cut over all costs at the same time? Half the expense on shells, entry fees, time and motel expense away from home? Just thinking out loud here. Hap

18. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

This reminds me of when I used to smoke cigarettes. (I quit in 1975) If I remember correctly cigarettes had just jumped in price from $.50 a pack to $.55 a pack. My god the people that smoked were outraged. Quitting was the answer!! Well guess what? Many of these people are still puffing away and they are $5 a pack now!! A friend of mine and his wife smoke 1 carton every other day! Think of that cost. I remember gas at $.25 a gallon, now it takes $50-$60 to fill the tank. I know many of us get discouraged and then starting thinking of the worst case scenario. I still maintain that lead is a commodity and what goes up will eventually come down. (Maybe not as far as we'd like) I will admit shooting is getting expensive. But so are many other things. Take your wife out for dinner and have a couple of cocktails at a decent restaurant. See how much you have left out of a $100 bill. Yes, we may have to scale back our shooting to satisfy our budgets. There is not much we can do about that, unless money is no object. When the "dust clears" we may not see $20 shot anymore, but $30 shot is entirely possible. And if you reload using the right components, (with $30 shot), $4 a box for shells is still a realistic possibility. JMHO. Ed

19. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Thanks, Ed....

What a wonderful REALISTIC attitude you have. The sky, in your world, is clearly still WAY above ground level and probably a nice shade of blue too.

20. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

There is another "out" on this perceived problem. Lets all invest our money in lead futures and we then will not care about the cost of shells!! Right?? Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.