1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What Will Happen To Your Guns When You Die?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Auctioneer, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I knew a guy who every new year would go in the safe and pick up a book and up date the gun values of what he has. He would have a asking price and a no lower taking price. He also had a list of people who would help the wife or kids sell the guns. The wife was told where the book was and what its for. He informed her the reason of the book. He told her to follow the prices as he has written them.

Does anyone here do the same or have something else set up to protect what they have when they leave this world? I have seen collections get sold for little to nothing because the wife and or kids knew nothing about them.

2. blarney

blarney TS Member

If I can't take them with me ...I ain't going! but, have a reputable gun store do an insurance appraisal on the guns and document it. That should get you in good shape.

3. Auctioneer

Blarney, I have seen a couple of those gun shop appraisals. Thye were nothing but a joke. A Colt Phython that was 98% was appraised for $500.00 and the other guns appraisal were just as bad. You had better get someone else. Not saying all the gun shops are like that but you have to be careful of who they are and who knows about the fact the man of the house is now gone.

4. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

My wife's next husband will have a real head start on his new sport of trapshooting. I think that she already has a date lined up to attend my funeral with

Ed Yanchok

5. shadow

shadow Active Member

I have left instructions that, with one exception, my guns be sold at an auction at the gun club and the money raised used by the club as they see fit.

That is the place where I had some of the best times of my life and met some of the best people in the world. They have given me sooooo much over the years. Why not give some back ?

6. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

What a great reminder! This is something I need/should to do. My family knows if I were to keel tonight I want to be burried or burnt up with my old 870 Wingmaster w/ 30" fixed full barrel and my old 1100 with fixed 28" modified and my model 99 .243 Win. If there truly is life after death I want to go to a place where I can shoot squirrels, deer, doves and pheasants all day everyday.

I would hope my family gets a fair price for my stuff and go and enjoy themselves.

7. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I like the Home Club Auction. Never thought of that but there should be money for the family out of their loss since most of the time you left them flat.

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I don't care one bit what happens to my stuff. Life will go on without me. I have a will. If it's followed, it's followed. If it's not, it's not and there isn't a thing I can do about it.

MK

9. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

My guns will remain in my family. There are old Winchester and Stevens rifles that have been in my family for 4 and 5 generations. I hope they stay around (and are used and enjoyed) in my family for 5 more generations.

10. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

In the last ten years I have bought alot of guns my son likes . (he is a hunter) About a month ago I took him to my loading room Opened the safes and showed him the guns to sell . Mostly trap guns he has no use for told him the values and a place to sell them . The rest are his .

In September I had a heart attack I thought it was time . The job is done I only have the one son and he will shoot all the stuff I leave him.

11. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

After witness a few friend's & friend's friend's widow got taken by "helping" friends selling their life long collections, I realize it's not to my family's benefit to leave such a big collection if no one would be appreciated.

My kid is still too young to tell if my guns will be valuable to her, so I down sized my collection from 8 safes to 2. The first two safe's worth were enough to buy her a Steinway Grand. I get to hear the beautiful music everyday. Rest of the money from other guns made a down payment for a condo nearby. The appreciation were 5 times better then my guns.

I still have two safes full of the guns I can shoot, I kept a list of it's estimated value with current Blue Book on the side, if my daughter wants to sell them, she will take them to auction houses and try her luck. Before that, my friends can always make me offers of what they're interested, everything can be sold at anytime, they are just toys.

It's silly to believe "Who die with most toys win". Who ever said that don't know the meaning of life and practical values.

12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I have willed those of sentimental value to family members and the values (which I constantly update)of those I want sold to put my nieces and nephews through college

13. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Nobody in my family is interested in the guns so I have been selling them off slowly so nobody will have the burden when I'm gone.

Most of my guns have appreciated over the last 50-60 years that I have been a gun owner but overall other investments have done better.

I have no special affection for guns as collectibles.

14. Erik W

Erik W Member

Am I included?? Probably not. If I see that obit, I will attend service and tell wife to burn that holo BS and sell me the stuff. You need to break down & spend a few $ and get a real deal will &/or trust done. ... Your friend, Erik

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Who cares-dead is dead. Let the kids, the wife and maybe even the ex divy up the booty. I won't be around to monitor the war!!

16. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

2 sons who both like guns, hunting and shooting. They'll divide them up and I expect enjoy owning them as I have.

17. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

By putting them in your will, your just disclosing them to a probate judge......WHAT GUNS...

18. Erik W

Erik W Member

Thank you. Just makes my work easier.

19. Erik W

Erik W Member

Obit should also indicate when next trash pick-up day is after services. That's when the stained & stinky Lazyboy, clothing, wads, hulls, empty cases, etc. hit the curb.

20. Auctioneer

For what I have learned if your estate goes over a $ mark the IRS will come in and take 50% of things. It is best to keep such things from the Gov.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.