1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What wears fastest on semi-autos, o/u?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lel4866, Aug 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lel4866

lel4866 Member

I see on various threads here where some people claim good shotguns essentially last forever. On other threads, I see people saying they had various things fixed/replaced after a few years.

If I were to shoot often, say, 50,000 shells/year, what would be the first things that would need serious maintenance/replacement on either a good semi-auto or good o/u?

2. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

50,000 rounds a year? 1000 rounds a week, every week? You're asking a difficult question. Basically, at that rate, you'll wear anything out, including your shoulder. Auto's have more moving parts and probably aren't designed for that heavy use...a SX-1 is very durable. Some pumps are very durable. Browning U/O's are very durable. Personally, if you shoot anything like that amount of rounds, I'd buy a Ljutic for trap. Simple, extremely durable and robust. Essentially hand made. Top quality. Very nice used < $4000 +/-. Anything else will be worn out after 5 years...just my opinion, no basis in fact.

WNCRob

3. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

Interesting question, but hard to answer. Specific parts that wear out will vary gun to gun. Just bear in mind that the amount of shooting your suggesting (50000 shells, 2000 rounds of 25) would cost upwards of $18000 or so per year between shells and targets (at my club). If you can afford that, I say buy what you want, shoot it till it dies and fix it or buy another one.

4. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Springs and firing pins. Both easily replaced in either type of gun. Mark

5. schneep

schneep Member

The first thing to wear out would be your shoulder, get a good doctor, and while you are laid up, send me the money you would have spent.

6. lel4866

lel4866 Member

OK, OK...say 50,000 rounds over 5 years. The question remains the same...

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Yeah, like Ed says, if you can afford 18 large a year to shoot, then you can afford to either replace worn out autos, or buy two autos and send one out for repair, or install a Clyde Slide, Soft-Touch or PFS buttstock on a hinge gun. I like any of these solutions because that's a lot of recoil impact going into your shoulder.

8. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

The estancia I shoot at in Entre Rios Province uses 20 ga. Beretta 391s and 28 ga. Beretta 687s.

The 391s get re-sprung after about 20,000 rounds which can be as often as once a month. They will see small parts failure become more prominent when the gun gets to 150K rounds or so. At 250K rounds they start using donor parts from other 'worn out' guns.

The 687s go much longer...150K before little things start to crop up. At 250K-300K they are usually ready to be rebuilt.

I've put 7,400 rounds through my 28 ga. 687 EL Gold Sporting II in three days there. The ejectors never even got sticky. I didn't clean that gun for another 15,000 rounds after that.

9. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

This Perazzi is one of the loaner guns I used for two days couple years ago.

At the time, it had approximate 1.5 million rounds through it, the club master gunsmith rebuild it three times during that period. The gun was in perfect serviceable condition when I shot it.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.