1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

what wax to bring out nice lustre of stock?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bigben, Jun 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigben

bigben Active Member

After at least 15 experiments, I've found that Johnson"s klean n shine is the best, easy to use, no wax build up, and cleans the entire stock including checkering, if inclimate weather is here, I'll do the entire gun, barrel and reciever and all, good water repellent and shine! The mrs. will find it great too, kitchen appliances, cabinets etc. anything incinerate em!

2. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

I would use different waxes for different finishes. Not all gun finishes are created equal.

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Bee's wax will make any wood look like its a masterpiece and protect it also ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Any good hard paste floor wax.

5. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Blizzard is right. Some of the new finishes will be incompatible with certain wax. Some finishes should be buffed with rubbing compound others oiled and some waxed be more specific in your question and I'll try to answer your question.
    Joe goldberg

6. Bridger

Bridger Member

I would think lemon oil would be great on a stock with an oil finish but what could it do for a polyurethane type finish. I have added lemon oil to a Browning 525 with a lousy factory oil finish and I think it will help quite a bit. I also have a Browning XS skeet with some very nice wood but a low luster satin poly finish. There's some good figure in this gunstock so maybe this one is a candidate for some stock wax or would rottenstone work better?

7. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Honda sells an aerosol spray cleaner/polish for motorcycles they claim is safe for all finishes. I've used it for years. No build up and it doesn't cause a problem with checkering. Spray it on, wipe it off with a soft rag. 15 seconds start to finish.

It's available at any Honda motorcycle dealer for around $10.00. A can will last a year.

8. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

Most modern stocks are coated in polyurethane. Wax adds no protection to it. Use your orbital buffer with some auto polish, not wax, if you want the high shine on the 'thane.

The other common finish is oil. Wax would work but will be a thin coat that might become sticky (or worse) next to your face in the heat of summer competition.

Wax on a hot gun barrel does not sound like a good idea. Sounds like a good place for dust and debris to collect and abrade the barrel finish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.