1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What was your rate of pay on entering the service?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Jun 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    My wife has me cleaning out my reloading room again and I came across my Army discharge papers along with a paper showing my rate of pay when I entered the service which was $139.00 per month.

For younger people, I am sure this sounds unbelievable, but I still had enough money to send my mother $25.00 per month for my collect phone calls home.

When I had leave to come home, my father would have me pack the car filled with cartons of Camels at the cost of $2.08 a carton. He would freeze them????

I took basic training at Fort Lewis Washington and AIT at Fort Sill Oklahoma.

Do any of you recall how much money you were paid when entering the service? How much was a carton of cigs? Where did you take Basic training and AIT?

Steve Balistreri

2. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

I cannot remember the gross, but I almost threw up when I got my first check for under $50.00 for two weeks and they had most of that spent with things I had to buy. I had been working as a composit roofer, large high factory buildings at $80.00 per day less union day fees.Then they sent me to VN for about three hundred a month take home and some food and a place to sleep. Hell, I even save some money while I was over there.

3. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I went active in the mid seventies and received E3 pay from the start because I was in the AEF (Advanced Electronics Field) that required a 6yr obligation due to the length of the training involved. I'll never forget E3 base pay was $433.20/mo. (E1s got a whole $374 bucks a month).

I didn't join till I was 22 and had a wife and child to support. I remember how mad I was when my first few checks were almost nothing because I had to pay for my uniforms. That one snuck up on me!

Today a brand new E1 gets a whopping $1,379 and an E3, $1,757 (roughly 400% more than my day). I'd hate to try and make ends meet with a wife and child on 1,700 bucks. It was tough for us back then and probably tougher now...

Sticking with it paid off however as I still use my military skills and benefits to enjoy the success and luxury of today. Everything I have is owed to Uncle Sam.

Guy Babin

4. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

I'm with the Marine. USN in June of 1960 at $78.00.
    Boot Camp in San Diego, CA. At discharge I was a GMG2 (E-5)
    with over 4 years. I think that was around $205.00. 1966.
    I thought I was rich!!!

Mike Cunningham Groveland, CA

5. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I think it was about $128 when I went in in 72, then we got a big jump when they cancelled the draft, I was in the Air Force, they didn't draft anybody, but the pay bump was nice

When I was in Thailand we were bombing N Viet Nam, I was getting flight pay hazardous duty pay and TDY pay I think I was clearing $833 because it was tax free

Over there you could get a carton of filter cigs for about $2, Camels were $.75, and they had Winchester mini cigars for $.25

I blew all my money drinking and chasing women, well quite a bit of it, but did get cameras, stereo, jewelry, and bought a bunch of 24K gold chains and bracelets for $32 per ounce, but my exwife stole them and I was screwed, in the divorce she was ordered to return them if they could be located, yeah right

Sure wish I still had them I bought a bunch of gold over there

6. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

It was $72.00 once a month.

We were living on high cotton............. NOT!!!!!

But we soon learned how to make it last the whole month.

Well, maybe not soon, but eventually we could have some left at the end of the month.

Hauxfan!

7. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

I think $90 in 1968.

8. chipking

chipking TS Member

Not sure but around $138 a month strikes a cord. The one thing I remember most was my first tour in Viet Nam I had a $100 a month allotment taken out for my wife. Until my Combat Pay started I was receiving $14 every 2 weeks (in script). With the pay it went up to $39 every 2 weeks (still in script). IIRC I still managed to find plenty of trouble and booze to get into and had a little change left over.

--- Chip King ---

9. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I could make it on $139.00 per month because I was single at the time. Did not drink or smoke. I thought my pay was bad at $139.00 per month, and some of you got $78.00.

I felt sorry for the guys who were married and some had children. Have no idea how they made it?

Being from Milwaukee, my friends in my platoon could not believe that I did not drink. We had what they called 3.2 beer. I think we had Miller, and Hamms. To be honest, I tasted it one time and could not tell the difference from regular beer.

While out in the field I would trade my 4 cigs in a pack for rations of spaghetti. I could never trade or get rid of the fruit cake that they gave us. The cans had dates of 20-30 years earlier and the fruit cake was still moist??

I did try smoking, and a guy had me try a Old Gold? I thought that was the worse tasting thing ever. Most of the guys in my platoon smoked Kools or Newports I think. One guy was always being razzed because he smoked a so called womans cig called Tarrington?

I was a company clerk in headquarters which had it's benefits. I passed a test and they put me in charge of supply and I picked my friends to help me out. Best job in the army being in supply. The guys started calling me Ernie Bilko as there was a lot of wheeling and dealing going on. Had some great times.
    Steve

10. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

$78 a month. Feb 1965, Fort Leonardwood, Mo. ugly weather.

11. 196thlib

196thlib TS Member

1969 78.00 per month $2.00 a carton free in SP packs in the bush while in Nam
    Ft Lewis for basic and AIT.

12. partygirl

partygirl TS Member

1968 Pvt 1 got paid $99.00 a mo. Full combat pay in Vietnam in 1969 for an E5 was $562.00. That was with jump pay, separate rations. I still have all my Vietnam pay vouchers.

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

$78 per month if I remember correctly. Beer at the Slop Chute was only 15 cents a can ( colt malt Liquor) so it went a long way.. Semper Fi

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Marine Corps 1964 boot camp $78.00. Vietnam Combat pay $65.00. Later raised to $100.00.

15. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

$78.00 per month and then $81.00 when I made Pfc....then I received $55.00 extra for Jump Pay...

Curt

16. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Enlisted USMC August '57. Graduated boot camp as a PFC.
    Can't remenber the exact amount but I believe it was under
    $100.00 a month.

17. G550

G550 TS Member

May 68. Craig AFB. Selma Alabama.

Base $343 Separate rations $47.88 Flight pay $100. Add $100 hazardous duty pay and a $500 tax deduction in 69.

Roger Hayward

18. Gunn

Gunn TS Member

When I went in it was 266.00 a month. When I got out I was getting E5 at 560.00, jump 110.00, haz 87.00, plus I was considered TDY, so I got BAQ and SepRATS for total 158.00, and 90.00 for TDY to total a whopping 1005.00. Cigs were 2.00 a carton at Class 6. I really had nothing to spend it on, I think I kept 35.00 and the rest was sent to a Credit Union at FT Ord. When I got out it paid my tuition and bought me a used Triumph TR3A. Tim

19. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

May '66 Lackland AFB- $78/month Airman Basic(E-1). March '70 Forbes AFB $400/month Sergeant(E-4) at discharge. Oct.'69 to Feb '70 add $18 a day TDY pay.Carton of Camels was $1.70 at the Embassy in Rio. Fifth of Jack was like 2 bucks.

Larry

20. TjayE

TjayE Member

Enlisted in 1956. Boot camp E-1 pay was somewhere around $70 per month. Graduating from boot camp as an E-2, the pay was $85 per month. Promoted to E3 with the pay of $99 per month. Also received flight pay which was an additional $65 per month. Flight pay was like hazard duty pay. E5 would receive more flight pay than an E3, etc.. Cigarettes were $1.80 per carton at the PX and $0.80 per carton at the Sea Stores aboard ship. I did manage to save some money and send it home while serving. Served from 1956 though 1958. Tom E.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.