1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What was your most memorable shoot off?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, May 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    With all the great shooters on this site, I thought it would be interesting to find out what was your most memorable shoot off, win or lose?

Mine was back in the 70's, as I tied with four other shooters that were on the Wisconsin state trap team. I did not win, but for a short time that day, I felt that I had a chance to win against the very best shooters in my area.

Please tell us about your most memorable shoot off?
    Steve Balistreri

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Monday, Mason, Mich. Michigan Singles Championship shootoff. Gerry missed the first bird out. I said thank you under my breath.

3. Len in Phoenix

Len in Phoenix TS Member

Handicap shootoff against Ray Stafford at the Autumn Grand. I pulled a big puff of dust off the 24th bird, but no pieces. At least I got to go to the show......

Len in PHoenix

4. JRW

JRW Member

It would have to be my first caps shoot off at Mason MI. It was the early 90's 5 of us and when it was over I turned around and my young son was coming to shake my hand. Jerry

5. Coyote 270

Coyote 270 Member

Fairbanks, early 80's, shot my first 100 straight in singles. Started to celebrate when someone walked up and said that I was in a Shoot-off. I go "Dam, with who"? The guy looks at me and says, "Your Father". we had a shoot-off from the 27 yard line with 1oz loads, AMF style and after 17 targets My Dad put me out. Greatest Shooting Day of my life.

6. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

2009 shot my first 200 straight then won the shoot off for champ at Cardinal Center Buckeye Classic.
    Rooferbob

7. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Shootoff for the Seitz giveaway at Vandalia home grounds a few years back. As I recall, it took around 35 shots from the 27 before I won it.

8. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Handicap shoot off with David Bonillas. Of course I choked because the mere fact of shooting off with a Hall of Fame Bonillas.

Bryan

9. BuddyTrapChamp

BuddyTrapChamp Member

Shooting of at the PITA Grand Pacific Class A Singles Championship

10. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

My most memorable was against Dennis Boschee, who had won the Canadian singles championship the previous year with a 200 straight....it was for long yardage handicap in Calgary. He beat me, and I shook his hand and said I was looking forward to our next shoot off. A heart attack took him not long afterward at Mossleigh (AB) Trap Club, doin' what he loved. I'll be at Mossleigh on Saturday and always think of Dennis when I'm there....

Ron Burr

Lethbridge, AB

11. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I got to shoot off for a spot on the California southern zone team in 2008. It was a 4 way tie and I made it 4 rounds with eventual winner Steve Williamson. The first two rounds were with targets set at regular speed. They cranked up the speed on the third round and for the forth they turned the speed WAY down. The trap was just pooping the targets out and I finally missed. It was great fun and I learned a thing or two. I still made the AA slot on the team but Steve took the AAA spot:)

12. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

good question. They are all special for different reasons:

The shoot off following my first 100 straight- Faskell's
    My first shoot off - yardage group award at Eau Claire
    16 RU shoot off at WI STATE Shoot
    Several others for various awards

But the most memorable was a 16yd shoot off with 8 other 100 straights at Eau Claire on a rare calm day up there. After two rounds it was just Jerry Demulling and me. I missed in the 6th round, Jerry ran them.

13. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Montana State shoot in 2007. The Friday Handicap. Shot a 98 from the 27 that day, and was tied. I went out to shoot the shootoff and took the same shells that I had shot the 98 with. About half way thru I came upon a reload that had a spent primer in it. Great! Now what. The shells that I had for backup were of course different. I decided to make it my last shot. It really didn't make a difference but I still ran them for Champ. I only wish I could have done that on Sunday when it really counted. I pity that guy that bought me in the "special event".

Rick in MT

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

2009 US Open Handicap Championship for Runner-up. I was in the shoot-off with four younger shooters and really felt intimidated. I proceeded to smoke all 25 targets and each of the boys dropped one. I had never shot 25 straight in handicap before that shoot-off. I proudly shook their hands, thanked them for a good shoot-off and walked to the bathroom so I could breath again. I think I had been holding my breath the whole shoot-off. LOL

I have won other events including a Handicap Championship event but that one shoot-off stands out to me as my highlight. I'm not a great shot anyway so I cherish my few moments of glory. I love this game.

15. CROY1990

CROY1990 Active Member

My first shoot off was for a major Handicap at my first State shoot. There were several tied for 2nd place with 98's and one was none other than Frank Little. I got thru the first 2 rounds until just 2 of us left and I missed as the other guy went straight. The next night I was in a shoot off for Singles title with 6 others guy's. Made it thru the first round straight with one other past champion. I was so nervous that I missed 2 targets and lost.

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Another trapshooter and I played round robin for quite a while in a turkey shoot. I had a really good day and just couldn't miss. He finally dropped a bird and I went home with a nice ham, which tasted all that much better.

17. gordy h

gordy h Member

Dixie Grand Handicap, Terry Jordon 23 George Pappas 22 Leo Harrison111 22
    Gordon Horigan(Butch H) 25

18. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

Winning my Zone Handicap shoot-off against 5 shooters. [ I was in the middle of 16 weeks of colon cancer chemotherapy.]

19. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

1995 state championship shoot off, five way tie, only took 75 straight to win under the lights.

20. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

Mine was at the Wyoming state shoot 3 years ago. In the singles championship I tied with Mike Head, we each had 199's. Needless to say I was pretty nervous going into the shoot off. When we changed post's I looked back and there was about 100 people watching, then the nerves really kicked in. I missed the 25th bird and Mike got his and won the event. About an hour later Phil Kiner walked up and shook my hand and congratulated me and that really made my day. Earlier this year Mike Head lost his life in a tragic accident. Mike was a true sportsman and a great ambassador to this great sport of trap shooting,He will be missed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.