1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What was your first car you ever purchased?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    When I was in high school I saw a used 1960 gray ford at a gas station for $50.00. It came with a hand choke. It ate gas pretty good. My first new car was a 1973 Buick Century that I paid $3,186.00. I just started out working at the bank and I took out a car loan. I remember asking my parents how would I ever be able to afford this car with payments of $68.00 per month? Those were the days.
    Steve Balistreri

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

A 1956 Chevy Belir 4 door hardtop that soneone had put a corvette engine in it.Wish I still had that one. Bulge.

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Used 1958 Buick Special in 1961 for $1400. New was a 1964 Pontiac Lemans, V8, auto tranny, a/c, etc. Was around $2450 as I recall. Gas was less than $.25 a gallon then and Sunoco had 4 or 5 grades of leaded fuel from the same pump. You could fill up for less than $3.00 and the attendents did everything from pumping the gas, checking the oil, tire pressure and cleaning the windows. Today you pay at least 10x more and get zero service.

Eric

4. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

'65 Corvair Corsa turbo, 4 speed, rag-top, white on white, black interior. $1400 worth of my hard earned GI paychecks in '66.

Larry

5. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

1965 Chevy Chevelle Malibu super sport. Yellow ex, black in, 327 350 horsepower, 4 speed, positraction. I could lift the front tires off the ground, about 2 inches.

Wish that I still had that great car. Nice size trunk and plenty of power.

Philip Santos

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

1982 Toyota Corolla 2 door sport hatchback, 5 speed.

White with a blue interior.

Back when they had rear wheel drive.

That was a great car.

7. chipking

chipking TS Member

1959 Triumph TR-3A Maroon with Black and white interior. Used all my saved up yard mowing money to buy it and then had to replace all 4 tires from dry rot. My dad floated me a loan for the tires that I paid back by mowing yards and shoveling sidewalks and driveways. Man was I proud of my little beast.

---Chip King ---

8. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Black 57 Chevrolet in 1965. Sold it for $400 in 1970, worth a fortune now.

9. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Just out of High School and I needed a car . Saw a very nice clean 1949 Ford at a gas station for sale for $100 . It was owned by an old school teacher who only used it back and forth to school and to church on Sundays (laugh). On the way home it was making so much noise like the crank was going to let go so I went to a local gas station I hung out at and put it on the lift . Needed a fill-up in the trans, may have been bone dry and after that it was one of the smoothest running cars I ever had for 3 weeks !!! Then I got headed while stopped at a red light . Thats all she wrote for that car . Joined the Navy .

10. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

You guys were in the money---My 1st car was a 1934 ford coupe(V8) and would it go---Pd $200.00---Had one window out on pasenger side---Kept a piece of cardboard handy to keep out the rain---Wish I still had it---Had to give it up when I went into the Navy---George@SJB---

11. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

1963 Corvair. Paid my friend Tom Bellanca $150 for it. Ran like a champ for about a year. Joined the Air Force in 1969 and sold it for $200!

Bob

12. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT Coupe, bought brand new. Was so proud of that car! It was my first, and will probably be my last, new car (or GM product). Had to do a lot of maintance on that car. Got rid of it just over a year ago, with close to 170,000 miles on it. Current ride is a 2006 Honda CRV. Not sporty, fancy, or cool. But it gets good enough milage, goes okay in the snow (GP did better), and has room for the setter and his crate in the back. So far, so good on the repairs, but I have a feeling I'm going to have to replace some suspension before inspection next April. NW PA's wonderful highways and dirt roads are always tough on vehicles.

~Michael

13. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

1937 Plymouth, bought from a sportswriter who was always at the Spokane Gun Club reporting on the activities. Today his damn newspaper won't admit the gun club exists.

Drove the car loaded with five other UofW kids back and forth from Seattle to Spokane until a three foot Christmas snowfall buried it in my folks backyard. Next spring my dad had it towed to the junk yard.

14. willing

willing Member

Third interest in a 1922 Model T roadster when I was in college 1948.

First new was a 1956 Pontiac Cheiftan hardtop.

Bill

15. cliffshot

cliffshot TS Member

1949 chevrolet, well used, for $26.

16. OregonDon

OregonDon TS Member

I bought a 67 Plymouth from an old lady who only drove it once a year; at Indianapolis. Don

17. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

1957 chevy Bel Aire 4dr, 283 CID power gluide.

18. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

A 1950 Ford F1 pick up paint screen door green with a brush, we called it the Green Avenger, exhaust pipes were rusted off about a foot from the manifold

Had a riot in that old truck, paid $35 for it and used Dad's off road gas in it, sure was a cheap ride, but everyone always heard you coming

19. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

1951 Chevy Pickup for $600. I scrounged for parts in damn near every junkyard in Nebraska.

Better question: What would you give to have that first car back today????

I'd trade a Perazzi combo straight up for mine.

20. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Big Heap:
    That is one beautiful car! I think that a lot of you will agree with me when I say that most guys will never forget their first girlfriend and their first car.
    Steve Balistreri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.