1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WHAT WAS THE LAWSUIT AGAINST REMINGTON ABOUT?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Feb 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    what was the lawsuit against remington about years ago? I was asked this question by a fairly new shooter and i said i really didn't know the circumstances.
    steve balistreri

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Supposedly a shotgun barrel made from a defective grade of steel. Remington wound up handing out a lot of vouchers good for some money off on your next shotgun purchase.

3. Harold

Harold TS Member

"The Remington Shotgun Barrel Class Action
    In 1995, Remington et al entered into a settlement of class action claims brought by owners of certain Remington 12-gauge shotguns including: Remington 12-gauge Model 870, 1200, 11-87, 3200, and Sportsman 58, 12-A or 12-P shotguns. The action named all of these models manufactured between 1960 and June 1995. This was substantially all shotguns made by Remington during those years.
    35 This shotgun liability suit was filed against the Remington Arms Company, Inc., E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Company, and Sporting Goods Properties, Inc., the du Pont subsidiary formerly known as Remington. The complaint alleged that the type of steel formerly used for the barrels of these shotguns (American Iron and Steel Institute C-1140 modified steel) constituted a manufacturing defect that could and had resulted in the explosion of the barrel in use.
    In 1997, the Court approved payments to more than 477,000 class members, who
    owned more than 750,000 eligible shotguns. It was paid out of a 31.5 million dollar fund established to meet current and future claims."

I remember seeing the notice of this settlement. I owned, and still own, an 870 that would have been eligible. I did not file a claim because the payout per shotgun would have been fairly trivial and I did not wish to participate in a nuisance lawsuit against a gun manufacturer.

4. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

All they got was a coupon to use on a future remington gun purchase, so it probably didnt cost them a whole lot except for the attorneys fee's, but that was probably a fortune.

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The result was that Remington started making barrels that were so thick and heavy that they were useless. I think later on the got back to lighter barrels they called the light Contour barrels, first for the 11-87 and then the 1100.

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I was a party to that suit owning two of the appropriate Rem 3200s. Here's how it went down. The class action suit (well explained above) was posted in nearly all hunting/sportsmen magazines. When I read it I was furious at the assertion and further angry at shooters that were signing up like boys at ice cream giveaways. After pondering the situation, however, I came to the conclusion that the suit likely would be settled with an agreed amount of money being handed over to the attorneys and what they didn't take would be spread out with the many owners of the affected guns regardless of who did or didn't sign up. Curiosity caused me to go ahead and file my claim for the two guns I owned thinking I'd simply sign my check(s) over the Remington with my thanks for their good products.

Well, my prediction did come to pass and after the attorneys split millions of dollars for their "work on my behalf" there was a pool of cash to be split for the gun owners. I got one check for two affected guns and it totaled under $50 alleged to compensate me for "the loss of value." I endorsed the check, composed a letter to Remington, and sent it to them making sure they understood my attempt for sportsmen to return the money to them. I got a letter back, with a Remington cap enclosed, indicating a portion of the settlement prevented them from accepting any refunds from gun owners. With my permission, they forwarded the check, plus others received similarly, to some hunting preserve or organization in, I believe, Virginia. I know of no one that received only vouchers for future purchases and wonder if that was some other sort of settlement, even for the same suit.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

7. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I remember some of the IDIOTS at the gun clubs signing up on that class action suit and acting like they deserved something. I can't remember ever being that pissed at my fellow shooters as a whole.....it was very very disapointing and brought out the true colors of so many "Sportsman" among us.

A page in our history that I would just like to forget about.

Tron

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

JoeTron voices my exact feeling originally. However it was clear that the suit would proceed, Remington would settle, the attorneys would split 40% or more of the settlement among the 8 or 10 barristers and the remainder would be split with millions of "sportsmen." Thus the attempt to receive a check and forward it to Remington; an idea I spread around clubs from Sacramento to Salem at the time. I know from the letter from Remington that I was not the only one to try to return the money...Bob Dodd

9. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I agree with you, to try to return the money to remington. i have owned numerous remington's and like their products. years ago, i was asked to join the law suit and i declined. thanks for the info. i can now tell this new shooter what really happened. he heard shooters had a lawsuit against remington and wondered why fellow shooters would do this? now i can tell him what really happened.
    thanks,
    steve balistreri

10. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Kinda like the Iowa vs Microsoft suit where Iowa contended that MS charged too much for their windows operating systems. Iowa attorneys got something like 75 million for their hard work and ms owners got about 20 bucks per operating system they purchased. I think that all the Iowa lawyers did was copy the Minnesota lawsuit. It makes me proud to be an Iowan. NOT!

11. 1atatime

1atatime TS Member

I sent my check to the NRA. Only problem is that I'm still getting hit for additional contributions about 3-4 times per year.

12. ink ball

ink ball Member

I too wanted to return my check to Remington, but found out that I couldn't. I decided instead to buy some Remington products with the money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
garza class action vs remington
remington 11-87 settlement
remington 870 class action sttlement

remington 870 lawsuit

remington 870 shotgun barrel burst class action suit
remington arms 870 class action

remington barrel lawsuits

remington class action lawsuit