1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What was the Civil War movie that I just watched?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by recurvyarcher, Apr 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Very true to life, and followed all of the accounts that I've read, including the collection of letters from the soldiers that I have read as well. I would like to know the title of this movie so that I could buy it on DVD. It was on Channel 54 on cable where I live. Did anyone else see it?

(I didn't recognize any of the actors)

2. recurvyarcher

I found it...it was Ted Turner's Gettysburg. I didn't even recognize Martin Sheen.

3. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

That's a great movie.

4. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

Recurvy,
    Turner did two movies based on a series of books written by Jeff and Michael Sharee(sp). The father and son wrote a triology called: "Gods and Generals", Killer Angels" and the Last Full Measure". Killer Angels was used for "Gettysburg" and Turner also made "Gods and General" which focuses mainly on Stonewall Jackson. Was supposed to make the last one but he stated he lost too much money on the first two and scratched the last one. Robert Duval plays a great Lee in Gods and Generals.

Van

5. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Additional information. Both movies have been re-released in a DVD and Blu-Ray Commeritive Package for the 150th Anniversary of the Civil War. I understand that there is sustantial extras with each. Ted Turner is 1 of the guys sitting around the camp fire listening to singing in God and Generals. Very factual except they don't explain the reason for Jeb Stuarts late arrival (and disappointment to Lee) at Gettysburg. Does anyone know the reason?

blade819

6. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

Blade,
    Turner also gets killed in "Gettysburg", he played an officer and is killed crossing the fence. As for Stuart, he was out riding around, capturing wagon trains with supplies which he thought was he orders. His late arrival is somewhat overplayed as Lee had almost 5,000 cav troops at Gettysburg before Stuart arrived but he trusted Stuart for his intell..

Van

7. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Since you all are talking about Gettysburg,Pa. I am going to suggest a vacation to the town. It is in South Central Pa. in Adams County. That part of Pa.is probably the most beautiful part of our State. When you visit the battlefield you really get the feel of the movie. If you don't get goose bumps in "Devils Den", you're cold. If you take the time to walk Pickett's march you almost feel you are in the battle. It is so easy to get lost in time on the "field". I was at the high water mark and leaned on a stone marker and the chills ran through me. I went around the other side to read it and it was dedicated to General Armistead who as most of you know led the march to the "Copse of trees"

Wife and I have made many a trip to the town for short vacations (we live in Pittsburgh) and always enjoy a return trip. If you are taking pictures, and make sure you do, you may find more in the picture you took than you originally saw when you took the picture. We have a few pictures that have "weird" things in them that we were not expecting. My wife certainly is no history buff but on the way back from our first trip she had a slew of questions like "Who won the North or the South"?

I highly recommend a trip to Gettysburg especially if you are retired, and stay at one of the many fine Bed and Breakfasts there, the heck with the hotels. Bulge.

8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

The History Channel periodically runs a series on the Civil war. They get into all the details and personalities of the generals, politics, and battles. Good stuff if your war history buff.

I'm always amazed how they marched thousands of troops hundreds of miles without todays communications and the logistics involved for food, water, ammunition, and other supplys.

The conviction required to march head on into some of those battles is mind boggling.

9. recurvyarcher

Actually, they were more polite. General Lee was known to be extremely polite to everyone, including any enemy combatants that were captured, and expected his troops to be so as well. I have read letters where his men pillaged, and when he came to the town and found out, he ordered the townfolk to be reimbursed for their losses and apologized to them himself. A couple of Northern women wrote letters to the effect, and also stated how handsome he was as well.

10. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rick, as Archy stated they were more polite. Particularly in the South. Some other qualities they displayed then were respect for one another, and they were much more courteous of each other. I think life may have had more value then, at least that of the whites. Bulge.

11. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Rick,

Did you just slander my southern public GED education?

Dems is fightin words--not really....

GrandMa Sarah: "This Mr. Wales is a cold-blooded killer. He's from Missouri, where they're all known to be killers of innocent men, women and children."

Regards,

Guy B.

12. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Generations past were a lot smarter then compared to where we are now!

They did things by hand that we can't do with our machines and technology!

We can do it faster but not better!

Our Founders knew what they wanted and how to get it(sacrifice) for the benefit for others.

Those in power now want it all for themselves at the expense of others!

Our Founders loved to serve.

Those in service(public)today, expect all others to give and give and give to them! That explains the un-balanced budget!!!!

13. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

Having read numerous letters from the War Between the States, one can easily grasp the difference in the ones written to a mother or wife with ones written to say a brother or male friend. The ones written to the females are written in the period correctness, etc while the ones written to their male friend are no different from ones written during my war years, full of cussing and yes even the "F" word. In depth about the ladies or camp followers, etc... Very very interesting reading. There is a great little book out called; "The Stories They Wouldn't Tell", quite interesting about a taboo subject of the time.

As far as Lee goes, yes, who was quite the steriotype "Southern" gentleman and banned lotting, etc and those who did so, faced the wrath of Marse Robert. One must remember that the majority of leaders, ie generals where friend in the U.S. Army before the war began, maintained that friendship during the war and of course after the war. A different breed of people both on and off the battlefield..

Van

14. skeezix

skeezix Member

Michael Shaara (died 1988) wrote 'The Killer Angels' which is the book the Movie 'Gettysburg' is based on. Jeff Shaara is Michaels son and he has continued in the vein of writing historical novels. He has written about the revolutionary war (2 books I believe), the 1847 war with Mexico (very good book - 'Gone for Soldiers'), WWI, and a triology on WWII (that I have not yet read). All the books I've read are pretty good and very interesting.

John

15. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Albeit a bit more melodramatic ..i really like "Glory" too

16. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Devi, if you get a chance next time you are in DC contact Bill Thomas, if you like the history of the war and what went on behind the scenes. You can also type in Bill Thomas writer on the internet to get his background. He has several books out which I intend to buy. He is in the process of writing another book and was serving as a tour guide to gain info and fortunately for me, He was my guide for the recent week tour I took of Wash DC. He is the most knowledgeable man I've ever had the pleasure of spending time with. He writes for the Washington Post among other sheets. Jackie B.

17. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

The movie so inspired me that I purchased a Mort Kunstler print of Col. Joshua Chamberlain & the 20th Maine---true American heroes.

Phil Berkowitz

18. charlie01

charlie01 TS Member

My wife and I went to Gettysburg a few years and spent about 3 days there. That was not enough time to spend in a very historical place like Gettysburg. So much to see! We plan on going back and spend at least a week there. Spent two full days just traveling the battle grounds. I believe it is 25 square miles, full of monuments everywhere. Also one or two 5 story platforms to look out over parts of the battle field. You can take tours by horse back, open top bus, or you can rent a federal employee to ride in your car and explain all parts of the battle. Don't forget to take a tour of the National cemetary where alot of the federal troops are buried and where Abraham Licoln gave the Gettysburg address. Also I had read or was told that Jeb Stuart was in battle against George Custard and that was the reason he did not arrive when Lee needed him. A wonderful place to visit!

19. skeezix

skeezix Member

Pretty good article on Wiki about Custer and Stuart here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Gettysburg,_Third_Day_cavalry_battles

It reads that Stuart and Custer were fighting at what is now know as east Cavalry field some 3 miles east of Gettysburg. There was a second cavalry action at south cavalry field just south of Big Round Top on the third day of Gettysburg. Stuart was trying to get the cavalry in postition to support if Pickets charge worked. Big Round Top is the hill adjacent to Little Round Top (where Chamberlain was on the second day.)

It doesn't mention any contact between Custer and Stuart before the Battle.

John

20. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

John,
    You are correct, there was no contact between Custer and Stuart till the 3rd day. Stuart was ordered to get behind the Federal lines and support Longstreet's attackk on the Federal center. As we all know, both attacks failed. The east field along with Culp's Hill are the least visited areas on the battlefield.

For those who have not visited this hallowed ground, I highly recommend that you do. As someone earlier posted, guides are available and I suggest the park guides that you hire at the visitor center. These individuals are fantastic! I have some knowledge of the battle but when my brother and his family visited several years, I hired one of the park guides. They will drive your car and if you had ancestors who fought there will take you right there and describe in detail their portion of the fight. We hired our for 4 hours and he spent nearly 8 with us..

If you go there and really want a trip, walk the battlefield at night!!! I have and believe me, you will be in for a surprise!

Van

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.