1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What was the biggest deer you ever shot?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Nov 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

With Thanksgiving a few days away, here in Wisconsin numerous hunters are deer hunting. I was at a resturant recently with a friend and he told me that he once shot a 13 point deer, non typical. I am not a deer hunter but he told me the circumstances on how he shot this deer. It was pretty interesting to say the least.

One thing he mentioned, is when he had this deer in his sights, he could actually feel his heart pounding. Can any of you tell us the biggest deer you ever shot, and what the particulars were of where and how you shot the deer.

I wish I would have gone deer hunting as a younger man, as it sure seems like a good time. I recently saw a chart with pictures of record deer with huge racks. My friends 13 pointer looked small compared to deer in the pictures.

Another friend told me that he has deer hunted over 50 years and never got a 13 pointer, as he said that is a deer to be proud of.
    Steve Balistreri

2. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

My biggest was a ten pointer that weighed 200 pounds field dressed. Not any kind of record or anything, but respectable for the Ozarks area where they feed on acorns. I stopped deer hunting over 20 years ago. I took my last two with a handgun/open sights, but I had sold my own land and hunting public federal forest I encountered too many crazies who knew nothing of gun safety! (Bark shot off over my head, a guy walking up to me with the muzzle of his loaded rifle pointed right at me, etc.) I would now rather kill clays! Jack

3. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

This question reminded me a friend's fishing story, I've been listen to the same story in the last 25 years, the size of the fish gets bigger every year.

4. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Chautauqua County, Kansas. December 8, 2004. Long time friend and customer's family farm where I have harvested my two largest in 59 years of hunting whitetails around the country. 160 + class 12 pointer. Happened so fast that all I remember was having a small hole in the brush to shoot through as he appeared and was about to dissapear in a heartbeat...walking like on a mission and never stopped...perfect neck shot at 130 yards...he didn't even kick.

milt
    mette56_2008_080781.jpg

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Biggest deer I ever shot was a doe, so obviously antler points aren't applicable. We got back a bit over 80 lbs of meat, so that puts her perhaps in the 180 lb range. She was a large doe.

Some friends invited me to go hunting down the valley. We were actually east of Sutherlin, Oregon, hunting a draw next to power lines. This was the first hunting trip I made since my near fatal pneumonia a couple of years before, and I was having a very difficult time walking. Got up to the top and sat for a while. My friend was glassing across the draw and saw a large doe followed by two small bucks. The bucks were both spikes, which were not legal to shoot. But I had a doe tag in addition to my buck tag. My other friend said that it was a pretty long shot. He lasered it at 364 yards. I knew what my rifle and I were capable of, so it didn't bother me. I was using my Browning 1885 High Wall in 25-06, with a Leupold 6.5-20x scope. It was set up for coyote hunting, and I did not have to hold off fur on a coyote out to 300 yards. The barrel was 30" long, wringing out every bit that a 25-06 cartridge could give.

Put my hand on top of an old fence post and used it as a rest. Lined up and waited for my breathing to settle down. (Just standing up got me winded.) Took the shot. Could distinctly hear the THWOCK of the bullet. She did not go down, but acted "sick" and slowly walked over into a big thicket of scotch broom. My friend glassing her said the bullet impact looked like it a solid hit in the ribs.

Since we were not far from cultivated farm land, we decided to let her bleed out rather than spook her into running and losing her on private property.

After waiting a half hour, my partners said for me to stay put, and they would go in after her. They wanted me in position to shoot her if she went up the ridge the the left, her likely escape path.

After about 20 minutes, I heard a BANG. One of them stepped out of the thicket and motioned me over. It took me about 40 minutes to get there. The bullet entered almost exactly where I wanted it to hit. Elevation was perfect, but it was slightly to the right. She was facing me at an angle. The bullet entered just behind her left leg, went clean through her body, and exited her left haunch. It was like a long 1/4" drill rod had been run though her. She laid down and almost bled out before they found her.

The problem was the bullet. I was using Remington 100 grain Core-Lokt, because my gun won't stabilize anything heavier. These bullets have been fine for coyotes, but at that range they failed to expand. Might as well have shot her with a full metal jacket, because the outcome was the same. The bullet even went though the liver and it merely looked like it was poked with an ice pick. Nothing was blood shot.

They dressed the deer out in about 15 minutes, then they both packed it out. It was all I could do at this point just to go down the hill. I was done in and had to rest about every 100 yards or so. They offered to take my small pack and rifle, but I declined. Just didn't seem right to me.

I have not used this rifle for deer hunting since. Probably should try some of the new bullets that have come out since, but most of my deer hunting these days has been in heavy foliage, where ranges favor slugs or a 45-70.

I will always remember this hunt because of how my friends came together to help me when I was in very bad condition. In fact, it was difficult for me to hunt over the next decade, and I tried for a long time to get my son lined up with a buck. Finally did, on the last day of hunting season when he was 17.

6. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Are You Kidding????

blade819

7. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

These are some great stories. I have a question, if you shoot a deer and it runs and lays down and dies, and another hunter stumbles apon your deer, who's deer is it?
    Steve

8. quartering

quartering Active Member

dressing and butchering a deer is more work than it's worth to me. that's why i just shoot birds now. good luck with it

9. pfofml

pfofml Member

In 1981 I got a nice whitetail buck while hunting with bow and arrow. Large sized 10 pointer which scored high in Minnesota records. The animal hung at 175 lbs minus its head, hide, and lower limbs. The game warden estimated its age at 14 years. Its teeth were well worn, gray muzzle, and had a rusty arrow blade imbedded in its shoulder. I hunted that deer for 4 years before drawing my bow on that critter. Even a blind hog will find a truffle.

Peter Falk

10. quartering

quartering Active Member

columbo? who pushed natalie off the boat?

11. pfofml

pfofml Member

Quartering,

No one pushed off the boat, she just jumped in the water. She was tring to prove that all wood floats. Some theses are better left untested.

Peter

12. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

This year 10 piont big deer lots of meat , glad for that .Campbell Co. Ky.
    jeffprigge_2008_030321.jpg

13. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Smoke the last to shoot gets the prize!

Biggest are we talking antlers or weight? White tail Mule or other?

14. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

Our second weekend of gun season in KY has netted several deer in the 200 to 250 lbs field dress class, Taxidermy work is plentyfull now, thanks Ronnie

15. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

here's a huge one about 23/Kg around 50 lbs
    gunfitter_2008_0303_1103.jpg

can anyone guess?
    Joe

16. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Well i was gonna share a story about one of my bigger deer but instead i'll post some pics and a story of my oldest son's shot gun kill this afternoon.

After i killed a small buck this morning with my .44mag T/C Contender, i de-boned it because of the warm weather we are having. I then got my shower with the couch in mind as my back was killing me after all that. In fact i never even wanted to go this morning as i woke up hurt'n. My son begged me to go so not wanting to disappoint him, i went along. About 10am this morning i killed mine and the boy only saw 3 doe the whole morning. He was a little ticked that he had begged me to go and i killed a buck when he only saw the doe(he is wanting a buck).

Fast forward to this afternoon. The boy headed out early determined to show dad up. He wanted to take his girlfriend with him to the stand. While i was opposed(as moms and dads do) i let him have his wish. I had just layed the little one down for his nap and settled onto the couch myself when my cell phone rings. "Dad, i just shot one". So i said great job son, i'll be right there. To myself i let out a big sigh as i knew i wasn't gonna see the couch anytime soon. So i grabbed the little one and off we went to get big brothers deer. He made a great shot and the buck never ran but 25yds. We did the customary high-5 and proceded to drag the buck out of the creek(they always die somewhere you will have to work your ass off to get them out). Anyway, i did finally make it home. We got his de-boned and i showered for the second time. I'm now eyeballing that couch once again.

Needless to say, i am a very proud papa...............

My two sons with his deer....................

grntitan_2009_2503266.jpg

My son and his good luck girlfriend......................

grntitan_2009_2503271.jpg

17. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

285 pounds field dressed- rack was so thick but only an 8 pointer

Regards from Iowa

Gene

18. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Muntjac from Great Britain.

19. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Being from MT I have lots of 5x5's and they were all heavy. Once the shell leaves the gun, the work begins. Talking to my son-in-law a few weeks ago and he almost got me to go after another big one. Almost.

Rick in MT

20. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

1992, 12 points, over 200 lbs, biggest one registered in dunbar that year. (check out the cap)

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.