1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What was I thinking?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ithaca33, Jul 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ithaca33

ithaca33 Member

I finally started putting it all together. Started putting up decent scores (96,97). Then I decided it was a good idea to throw an adjustable comb on it (Tron did a fantastic job and was a dream to work with).

Now I have an adjustable comb and a Gracoil until with adjustable LOP and I can't stop myself from messing with the gun. Instead of being up there thinking about hitting the stupid birds Im thinking about how to adjust to gun after every miss.

Seriously considering selling it and buying a fixed stocked White Onyx Sporter or something that I cant mess with lol.

Anyone else done this to themselves?

Pat

2. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

You obviously need to buy a new gun, Pat. That always fixes things. Something with a Precision Fit stock, an adjustable trigger, a four way buttplate, an adjustable rib and an adjustable comb. So you can get things exactly right. Good time to start trying out new loads, too.

Best time to do this, of course, is a week before the Grand, but I did something similar at Michigan State shoot last year, minus the Precision Fit stock. I was screwed up for months.

Been there, done that. I'm probably the only one, too. I betcha.

3. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

You have now graduated to full Trap shooter status. Congratulations!

4. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Self Control ...Grasshopper....Self Control

(or RED loctite will cure ya)

5. schockstrap

schockstrap Active Member

I think this type of situation happens a lot with adjustable stocks. I put off the addition of an adjustable comb to my stock for several years because I like to tinker with things in general. I figured I would keep adjusting the damn thing and get myself all out of whack. I finally found myself having difficulty mounting my gun without canting it to the left and decided to do the deed. I promised myself that I would keep an observation journal in order to keep the process somewhat scientific -- make adjustment to line eye up with the gun, and then shoot a few hundred targets to see if it helped (or hurt) my scores. As it turns out, I've shot a couple thousand targets with only one adjustment (I added a 1/16 in spacer after the initial 500 targets because I perceived my hits as being low on handicap targets). I'm not sure if my observations were correct or not (especially after seeing Neil Winston's videos), but my one adjustment has had a small positive affect on my averages. I also feel that I cant the gun less.

I would suggest recording the effects of your changes in some manner so that you can be less emotional about it, and have at least some recorded basis for deciding to make a change.

--Dan

6. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

once your gun fits you, it fits you. tinkering can not get you anymore targets, some think it is so easy to just change something and "whammo" Super Trapshooter is born. It doesn't work that way. Having a gun fit you is only part of the equation then comes hard work, dedication and a desire to get better. Surround yourself with the best shooters you know, learn their good points and move on.

7. James.c

James.c Member

I did something similar. was shooting great scores up in the mid 90's in practice mostly but still hitting them. missed three weeks of shooting and started to shoot medeoker scores so i made an adjustment. three months and about 30 adjustments later i was shooting the worst i ever did. once you've hit some good scores with it, leave it. Period. lucky im getting better again though. good luck.

James.C

8. xtj

xtj Guest

Ben there done that only took me a year!!!!!!!!!!

JKG

9. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

After many years of shooting many guns,I shot my best scores with trapguns with no adjustments. A Browning Cynergy combo with many adj. screwed me up pretty bad recently. A cut comb is all I want any more. Set it leave it alone. Adjustable features are for selling guns,not breaking targets. Clyde

10. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Well... I guess I will add my 2 cents. I still like to stand my handicap yard line on post 3 and set the trap to shoot straight away targets. I keep moving my comb up until I starting shooting the tops of the birds with the chunks falling down. When that happens, I know that most of the pattern is high and able to help me. This is of course assuming that your site picture is touching the bottom of the bird and pulling/slapping the trigger.

I want my breaks centered. This is where the left/right adjustment comes in. Most of your breaks should be centered with no half targets falling to the ground. If you are leaving the lefts/ or the rights/ you adjust from side to side so your pattern gets to where you are in the center. I try get that done before the pattern gets too high as it is easier at that point.

The only basline you can ever have is a centered pattern that is centered for YOU!! This is done with the trap set on straight aways and following the procedure I have outlined.

Screwing with the comb in an effort to shoot better scores in a by guess by golly fashion is like a monkey FU#*ing a football. It will not accomplish anything except by dumb luck and it will normally take a long time.

That said... If it is something you enjoy and are having fun doing it? Just keep on moving stuff with no refrence.

I believe if you do it the way I have outlined you will have confidence that your gun is set up PERFECTLY for you! You will have confidence and nobody will be able to convince you to move anything as you will know that the gun is already set up perfect.

The other way that some guys will do it, is the same as outlined above, except they stop raising the comb when they get a sootballed target. This is fine as well. I just like a higher impact as all our targets should be shot while rising and since that is the case, I see little reason to have shot below my point of aim if I plan on seeing the target when I shoot.

Does it not stand to reason that if you touch the bottom of the bird and you SEE the target when the gun goes off, that you would want all your pellets above where you are looking? with a 50/50 impact you are shooting 9/16's OZ loads when you are shooting 1 1/8 ounce loads.

This is why I think it is funny that the same guys who would never shoot a 1 ounce load, will shoot a gun with a 50/50 or 60/40 impact. 1 ounce of shot that has a chance of breaking a target is a hell of a bumch better then an 1 1/8 ounce shell where only 9/16's of an ounce has a chance of breaking the bird.

If you are the type off shooter that wants to cover the bird or carry through the bird and shoot, all bets are off.

Good luck and good shooting. Jeff

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

BTDT, now I have three guns with fixed combs/ribs that all have an identical POI and fit me like three pairs of hand fitted gloves. Added Kick Eeze recoil pads by Todd Nelson get me the same LOP on all three guns.

Browning Special Sporting Edition High Rib 30" (Skeet, Sporting)

Browning XT 30" (ATA Trap, what else?)

Browning 525 Euro Sporter 28" (Bunker gun)

12. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

I don't like to lock a trap, it is too easy to start doing a timing thing and just blast the targets down. letting it oscillate will accomplish same thing without fear of having an unusual advantage. If you know where it is going to be you are already one up from the norm. Just my thoughts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.