Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What wad is used in Estates 1 1/8?

921 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  grunt 
#1 ·
Federal two piece and a proprietary powder that is not available to reloaders, as the last information I had stated.

#5 ·
Piddie, I queried the folks at Federal about the powder and they said it was, as mentioned above, it was basically their own special brew made by Alliant. I contacted alliant and of course they couldn't give me the specifics about the powder other than suggesting that it is very close to Red Dot.

#6 ·
Estates do use an OEM version of Red Dot. The Red Dot powder sold to us is the very best. If a batch of Red Dot produced by Alliant cones out a little too fast or slow, it is sold to the shell manufacturers and they add or subtract a little powder to get what they want from that batch.

OEM powders have characteristics common to Promo powder. Each batch may vary a little.

Pat Ireland

#7 ·
This is the same wad that is used in the Federal Top Guns. I recently dismantled one of the 1 1/8 oz 1200 fps shells and it had this same wad with 17.0 grains of a flake type powder.

What is the purpose of the 2 piece wad? It does not appear to collapse to reduce shot deformation. Also the shot cup petals are very stiff. Is there any correlation between stiff petals and tight patterns?

The Top Guns and Estates APPEAR to be the same shell. They pattern great, hit targets hard, but smell awful.

REDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.