1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

What wad for which hull?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Mar 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I reload all four gauges and use Winchester AA hulls primarily. My problem has been that on 20, 28 and 410 gauge I have had problems with some of them buckling, especially with 20 and 28 gauges. There is a distinct difference in the length of hulls. I also should add that I primarily use Claybuster wads. How do you tell which HS hull is which and what wad goes with them? Some hulls has lines under the AA and some have a box(I believe these are the old ones) and some don't have a line or box. Anyone know which ones are which and what wad they need? Jackie B.
  2. Bob_K

Bob_K Active Member

Line them up and measure them. That is the only reliable way to tell short ones from long ones.

Winchester provided some info when the HS hulls were first introduced:
    (QUOTE) Reloading the New AA® High Strength Hull

Winchester has designed the new 12-guage AA high strength hull to reload with the same reloading data as the old AA hull. However, on some reloading machines, even though the components and reloading data are the same, there may need to be a minor adjustment made to the reloading machine to optimaze load fit and appearance.

Some adjustments that can be made:

Shooters need to lower the starter crimp or pie crimp (Fig 1). Proper adjustment should eliminate the slight buckle some shooter see if this adjustment is not made.

The shell in Fig 2 shows an example of the crimp after adjusting the starter crimp stage. Shooters should not be able to put a pencil eraser down into the shell after the proper adjustment.

Another adjustment that can be made is to the wad ram (Fig 3). Most reloading machines are setup for 25 to 30 lbs. of pressure. An increase of wad pressure (up to 45 lbs.) will help seat the wad, and will help the final crimping on the shell.

On some reloading machines with a tapered crimp die, be sure that the final crimping stage on the reloading machine is clean and has no residue build up.

Please contact your reloading machine manufacturer if you need additional assistance making the proper adjustments to your reloader.

Shooter have found that after making a slight adjustment to the reloading machines good quality crimps and long reloading life are consistenly obtained with the new AA high strength hull. The old style AA hull can also be reloaded with the new adjustments. (END QUOTE)

You can always reduce the amount of shot to get the short ones to crimp without buckling.
  3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

4. OldGoat

OldGoat Active Member

I used to shoot registered skeet - a lot! Only used Winchester AA hulls...then they changed the hull design from compression formed to the new/improved two piece HS. Then the problems started - big time!! Immediately went to Remington and problems went away. Scores improved because the concerns with the shells were solved by Remington. Only use Remington STS and Nitros for trap - including reloading. Regards, Ed
  5. MDMike

MDMike TS Member

I have used the 12 ga. AAHS with success after a couple of minor adjustments of my 9000. 20 ga. AAHS, I haven't had a great deal of success, but I need to do some more tweaking of my grabber before I can really chime in on those. The 12 ga ones seem to be OK though. But again, I'm sitting on probably 70,000+ of the AACF's and purchasing more at times. If all else fails, back to the CF's.
  6. quartering

quartering Active Member

start here
  7. Leo

Leo Active Member

I have also left the Winchester hulls behind. Remington hulls are all that is found in my bins now.
  8. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

I load AA's and STS's without any change in adjustment but I load OEM wads without any problems.

Dave
  9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

So are you saying that the issue has just developed or that there has always been an issue for you with these hulls?

Have you switched powders or inner contents? You realize that just because tested recipes are printed doesn't mean they necessarily fit the case..
  10. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

the 28ga aahs with the line are longer and more consistant than some of the earlier aahs 28ga without the line. There are also some later made longer ones before they added the line. DO NOT switch to sts/nitro 28ga. They are skivved too thin and you are lucky to get 3 reloads before they start splitting at the folds.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.