1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

what type of reloader?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by beretta bry, Jul 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beretta bry

beretta bry TS Member

I'm thinking about buying a new reloader. What would you get? I'm thinking a Mec 9000H, or a Dillon, no Spolar, there too pricey for me. What do you think?

Bryan Hull

2. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

The 9000H is a good press, but if I were to get a new press, I would look into the RCBS the grand.

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have tried most of them, but none match the 9000G for me. I load the manual press faster than the hydraulic model. I also get more uniform powder drops.

If you have health issues, arthritis or such, the hydraulic model will be better for you. If you have normal strength and range of motion, you might like the manual model better. There is also no chance of a leaky or defective hose or pump spraying you reloading room with oil.

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I purchased a used 650, working out great. If I where to buy new I would look into mec9000, if you got the cash for hydrolic even better. Check all within your price range. I load when raining becouse im not shooting. - set up and clean up I run 10 boxes 1hr 15min. I do not rush. Im sure if I stepped up and tried to go faster I could do a case in under a hour. I run 25 then box them up. I do not have the shell caddy/stacker. If I come across one for sale at gun show or shoot i may buy one.

5. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

I too prefer the 9000G. Lost count of how many rounds I've loaded through it. No worries.

hubcap

6. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I like my 9000g and Auto Mate. (Not the Mec version.) Works great. Jake

7. bwvan

bwvan TS Member

For economy, you can't beat the MEC Grabber, even though you have to turn it yourself. It's a great trouble-free machine that turns out good looking shells. My MEC 650 and Hornady 366 work fine, too. But the Grabber is the quickest and very reliable.

8. poorshooter

poorshooter TS Member

Bryan,

There is another option you would be wise to consider. The Grand from RCBS is far and away the best loader I ever used, and I've been stuffing new insides into old outsides for almost 35 years. This loader is really easy to use, it turns out perfect loads with greater frequency and less mess than any other loader I've ever used. According to my scale, variation between powder drops is practically non-existant. The Grand isn't the fastest loader on the market, but because the shot and powder drops are only activiated when the hull is present you'll spend much less time cleaning up spilled shot and powder, and less time disassembling messed up shells than with other loaders. The RCBS loader utilizes either PW or Hornady shot and powder bushing. More often than not, when this loader fails to make a perfect load, the operator was the issue, not the machine. My son and I each bought Grand loaders at the Grand American several years ago. We both feel it is the best machine on the market, and at one time or another I've used just about everythng made (except a Spolar). No matter what machine you have in mind, it would be a mistake not to take a look RCBS's machine. It's a good piece of equipment at a reasonable price, from a company with a proven track record, an unbeatable warranty, and outstanding customer service.

9. poorshooter

poorshooter TS Member

Bryan,

There is another option you would be wise to consider. The Grand from RCBS is far and away the best loader I ever used, and I've been stuffing new insides into old outsides for almost 35 years. This loader is really easy to use, it turns out perfect loads with greater frequency and less mess than any other loader I've ever used. According to my scale, variation between powder drops is practically non-existant. The Grand isn't the fastest loader on the market, but because the shot and powder drops are only activiated when the hull is present you'll spend much less time cleaning up spilled shot and powder, and less time disassembling messed up shells than with other loaders. The RCBS loader utilizes either PW or Hornady shot and powder bushing. More often than not, when this loader fails to make a perfect load, the operator was the issue, not the machine. My son and I each bought Grand loaders at the Grand American several years ago. We both feel it is the best machine on the market, and at one time or another I've used just about everythng made (except a Spolar). No matter what machine you have in mind, it would be a mistake not to take a look RCBS's machine. It's a good piece of equipment at a reasonable price, from a company with a proven track record, an unbeatable warranty, and outstanding customer service.

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Find someone who has the loader(s) you are considering and talk to them and see if they will let you try them out. I like the MEC 9000 with the Automate, but have worked with most of the top loaders made today and in years past. I still use my MEC loaders the most, although I might "find" a Dillon in the future. I have their metallic loaders and their quality and support is great. The RCBS, PW, Hornady, and Spolars all have their following and rightly so. It's more about economics and personal preference.

11. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

I would go with the MEC 9000H. I have used one for 15 years with very few
    problems. If you have a problem, just pick up the phone.
    As far as RCBS, MANY moons ago, I bought their green machine for metallic ammo.
    The machine was expensive & a lemon from day one. RCBS DID NOTHING to take care
    of us who plunked down the green stuff. They just discontinued the machine & that was that.
    JJJ

12. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Bryan,
    Reloading is a wonderful extension of a shooters involvement in the sport. I just upgraded from a MEC Grabber to a RCBS Grand. The Grabber is an excellent reloader and a good place for a newbie reloader to start out. I've made every mistake imaginable on the press and it was a wonderful training ground to eventually turning out perfect loads, tens of thousands of them.

The Grabber is a little slower than the 9000 primarily due to the manual indexing, still, I averaged a reload about every 12 seconds.

With the RCBS I am averaging a reload about every 6 seconds and they are perfect. I like the fact that the press will NOT drop powder or shot unless a shell is in place and the adjustments to change bushings, wad pressure, crimp etc are very easy and the thing is built to last two lifetimes. check it out.

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

We have a wide range of price and production rate when we look at reloading presses. I now use a PW Hydraulic. I have used a MEC 600 Jr. and the Lee Loader. All worked well. The inexpensive machines are a little slow and the fast ones are expensive.

I wish a company would make a bad reloading machine so we could blast it on this site, but so far nobody has done that.

Pat Ireland

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

I forgot to add in my above post that we can not only load good shells on any press, we can also make mistakes while using any press.

Pat Ireland

15. Dale Z

Dale Z TS Member

I purchased a used Hornady 366 off of Ebay. With the money left in my pocket I was able to buy more lead and powder. Over 8000 loaded so far with no problems other than slight adjustments to obtain factory looking reloads.

Dale

16. washandwear

washandwear Member

9000G/Automate

17. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have a Spolar with hydraulic, a MEC9000E, 366 Hornady and MEC 650. It's like having a Cadillac, a Buick, a Chevy and a motorbike. All will take you where you're going; it's a question of whether you want greater comfort and style. The last two are strictly manual but will nonetheless produce very serviceable ammo. If you shoot a lot but would not like to spring for the Spolar with hydraulic, then take a look at the MEC9000E (i.e. with auto-mate). I have no experience with the other brands. The 366 Hornady is progressive and MED 650 a single stage affair. I rarely use both because my shoulder has been bothering me. Incidentally, reloading results in marginal savings on ammo, except for the smaller gauges (28 and 410) because of the steady rise in component costs. But if you like a great hobby and the ability to tweak your brew but always within known published loads, then by all means. Enjoy.

18. bwvan

bwvan TS Member

A MEC 650 is not a single stage loader.

19. edthearcher

edthearcher Member

being new to this game of trap shooting after a 35 year lay off, I got back into it like I mean full speed ahead. went up to mec I only live an hour away, now that place is a trap or skeet shooters dream. Ill let you in on a secret they have seconds there you can get for 1/2 the price. give a guy by the name of rick gilbert a call in the service dept. before you run out and but ED

20. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

MEC 9000 on top of an Auto-Mate. Best bang for the buck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.