1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What type of hull do I have?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jd4020, Dec 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jd4020

jd4020 TS Member

I was given some new (old stock) Remington hulls that came from the factory already primed. The question I have is do these reload like STS hulls or do they use a different reloading recipe. Thanks, Clark
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

If I am not mistaken, I think you will load these like Gun Clubs.

Bryan

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Hopefully they aren't old enough that they use the old "97" primer. Good luck.

4. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Those are loaded like remington rxp's. Best use is just sell them to sonebody who ikes to load slugs or buckshot for rollcrimping. They will take a standard 209 primer but are way more trouble then they are worth. Getting the crimps started with a really good tool is more trouble then it's worth.

Put it this way.. If you think you can just run them through a Mec and come up with a crimp that looks like a factory crimp, it won't happen. It will work but it won't be pretty.

5. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

It's a Remington Peters 12 gauge.....I'd know it anywhere.

6. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

It looks to me like the old original high base wad style "All American" and not the current Gun Club-STS-Nitro style.

Hard to tell from your picture but is there a flash tube that goes down about a 1/4" to the top of the primer?

If so, it takes the short wad shown in the picture. The wad that has been used in RXP from the Mid 1970's to todays STS-Nitro WILL NOT FIT.....TOO LONG.

It used the 209-97* primer not the smaller 57*

Mark
    [​IMG]

7. jd4020

jd4020 TS Member

The hull does have a flash tube about a 1/4" to the top of the primer. Now I need to find some reloading data for it. Clark

8. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Quite a bit of information for the All-American in the 1st edition of the Lyman shotshell handbook

9. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

I thought I knew exactly where my 1974 Hercules Reloaders Guide was at.......but nooo.

I remember our standard trap load using Red Dot powder was 18 1/2 grains of powder with Winchester primers. Loaded tens of thousands of that recipe using that high base wad hull. Oh, using 1 1/8 oz. shot of course. We didn't even think about using less.

In my picture above, the lower 2 short wads we would use interchangeably.

Good load.....Got me to the 26 yard line before I graduated high school.

Mark

10. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Ross, I believe you'll find the Fed. GM plastic hull does not have a separate base-wad....it's one piece.

Buz

11. TC

TC TS Member

I have seen loose base wads in All American hulls!

12. Quick 1

Quick 1 Active Member

TC is right! Those old hulls were known for base wads coming lose. Use with caution.

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

You need a short wad, AA12R or R12H.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.