1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What type guns/rib are used in international trap?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by turbonick, Dec 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turbonick

turbonick Member

May 23, 2007
    I'm looking into buying an international trap gun. It seems Perazzi and Beretta dominate in the Olympics but I'm wondering which models do well. Also I'm wondering if anyone used the super high ribs from the Olympic trap doubles for the single Olympic trap. Like the MX2005? Would the high rib give an advantage? Would the MX10 adjustable rib give an advantage over the flat rib guns? I'm guessing the lighter 1.4 KG barrels are the common weight? As you can see I'm in the dark when it comes to international trap. Any help would be great.
  2. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Feb 27, 2006
    You see a lot of MX8's and MX2000's with low ribs in use by a majority of domestic shooters. I know a fellow who just purchased a used MX10 with the adjustable rib and he shoots it well for bunker. You see only a few shooters using the high rib MX2008.

I think the objective is to find a gun you can move smoothly while chasing fast moving targets which also has a relativly flat POI - somewhere around 60/40.

Rib height is mostly an affectation.

Barrel weights will vary from light 1.4kg to most in the low to mid 1.5kg and a few heavier in the 1.6kg range.

Being in the dark about bunker can be cured by going out and shooting a bunch of rounds of bunker with your existing gun but you need to know the POI = floating the target in bunker is a recipe for disaster. Learn to hit the straightaways with your existing gun and then graduate to the angled targets. You can also ask at the bunker if you can try another shooter's gun - they may allow you to try it although correct fit is critical in this game so you may not get much from the experience.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

international trap flat ribs