1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What trap gun would you use for a 13 year old girl

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by poacherjoe, May 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

My daughter would like to learn trapshooting and I would like some advise as to what type of gun would be good for her. I have a field grade 1100 and a 391 beretta or a 3200 special trap.PJ

2. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I would pick one of the autoloaders that you have that fit her the best.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    1100 LT-20.

4. deadapair17

deadapair17 TS Member

Beretta 3901 Target RL

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

A 20 guage gas gun. One that fits. I'm with Brian on this one.

We had a youth stock for an 1100 that circulated around various guns in our group for several young ones. In most cases a normal stock went back on the gun a year or so later.

This will give you target breaking ability without the stigma of excessive recoil. Having the gun fit properly is a must to avoid stance problems.

HM

6. leadspreader

leadspreader TS Member

beretta 3901 rl target and 1 oz reloads

7. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Stay away from 20 ga--you can load a 12ga with 7/8 lite loads that won't pound her & most likely will cost less than 20 ga ammo---also a jr shooter is kind of a good shooter in our area-shoots a Beretta 686 with a PFS---if she really wants to shoot get her a good break gun & it will last her for- ever---gas guns are good for adults if they do the maintenance--malfunctions will get jr.s agravated,most likely you'll have a second job maintaining the gaS GUN---pHIL

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have several things to say. Getting my 5'2" baby hand wife shooting. I started off with a 870 exspress with youth synthetic stock. It was a tad light so I added weight in the stock hole. At the time I was shooting The STS managed recoil and Winchester feather lights to cut recoil. They are very soft. What I found out as she tried other Womens cut down stock is the grip to trigger length was to long for her and a constant complaint from her also(small hands short fingers) Her hand would be rideing up the reciever or have a very weak hold to reach the trigger. I then bought a Browning Gold SC ladies model wich had a shorter grip to trigger length, but a tad long on LOP. So after I knew she liked shooting, I bought a Wenig new american Ladies left hand semi inletted stock in standard walnut. Huge upgrade for her. First thing she noticed with out me telling her. The toe of the gun was not sticking her. It has a good amount of toeout. Also the pitch was a bit more which I account for the soar cheak going away. she now I also shot the lightest loads I could reload and still cycle the action. Today I could put anything in the chamber and she would not know any better. I DEFINATELY would have went with the beretta 3901 RL if I had known of it at the time of buying gun for my wife. $$$for$$$ great gun and best out of the box adjustability. shims adj comb. easy to upgrade. I let her shoot me XT with PFS. she shot well with that. For me most 20g seem to bite ya. shooting the same load in a 12g you will get even less felt recoil. ie a 7/8oz 1200 fps 20g out of a lighter ill fitting 20g will have more bite than a 7/8oz 12g winchester FeatherLite. gun fit is key. Find other shooters in her age and build and ask to try some guns.<a href="http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t196/jrm7800/?action=view&current=100_0040-2.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

9. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

I believe the first thing I'd do is go to gun shops with her, explain the problem, and ask their advice. Bring pen & paper to take notes. Then have her hold & handle a lot of different guns. You'll start getting an idea of what she likes the feel of, and what she can comfortably hold. This will give you some possible perameters to consider. Then I'd take her to the range, maybe ask a few people if she can hoist their gun, and get some more ideas. She's probably big enough to handle a Beretta 3901-RL Target. It's a beauty. I fully agree with Brian, the Rem 1100 LT-20/1100-Youth/11-87 Youth will probably feel just perfect to her, and would work beautifully for her. And they're cheap. Phil E

10. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

20gauge will beat her... cause the gun is so lite. A 12ga loaded with 7/8 oz shot. I started my daughter at 13 with a 12ga O/U lite loads..

11. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Wesley, I fully agree, that some tiny break-open 20-GA "youth" guns will batter a person. Some 20-GA pumps will, too, if too light. A 20-GA gas gun has virtually no recoil at all. It's a wonderful starter gun. I started with a break-action Win 37 single. It was light but I loved it from day-1. Phil E

12. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Phil,, so true.. and i agree.. depends on the person and the gun used. Good luck on finding her the right one.. Mine has 4 she shoots !!! LOL

Gotta get back to work!!

13. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

BT-99 micro with light loads and a good fit.

14. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

You already own the PERFECT gun for her - it requires one small modification.

The 3200 special trap is a GREAT gun.

The modification - buy a PFS for it.

One time purchase - you're done for the rest of her growing.

NO RECOIL.

Completely adjustable.

Perfect fit is an allen wrench away.

IF the gun is not too heavy then that is the route I would go - it's a no brainer. That gun fitted with a PFS will be far more comfortable than either of the semi's.

15. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

I cast my vote for the Browning BT MicroPlus, also. It has all the features and looks of a "grown-up" trap gun, but is an excellent choice for smaller shooters -- like petite-framed women and children.

I bought one for my son when he was 13, and had the stock made fully adjustable. He shot that gun extremely well, until we were able to locate a decent K32 for him.

I still have it, and will probably make it my grandchild's first trap gun, also.

16. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I'll throw my .02 in here now. I would look at a new BPS trap micro. These guns are very light weight and are inexpensive to boot. They have the same INV+ choke tubes as all the rest of the Browning line up. The have the selector at the base of the magazine tube that keeps the lifter at the top to ease loading.I would call this by far the best buy out there right now.

ec90t

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    There is so much misinformation here it just boggles the mind.<br>
    <br>
    If you want the lest amount of recoil possible in a light gun with a grip and forend small enough for someone of slight build to handle, then the 1100 LT-20 is it. This is also the way to go if you want to purchase light, off the shelf loads, instead of reloading.<br>
    <br>
    First, gas automatics have very low recoil, even with 20ga. The difference in recoil between an 870 20ga and an 1100 20ga (or even 12ga) is considerable.<br>
    <br>
    The Remington 1100 LT-20 will reliably cycle factory (Rem, Fed and Win) 20ga 2-1/2 dram 7/8 oz loads. These loads have very, very low recoil in this gun.<br>
    <br>
    Without alteration, you're not going to get a 12ga gas automatic to cycle loads that light. And even with "powder puff" reloads, you're still going to have an edge on any pump or fixed breech gun for recoil, until weight is so great that she can't handle the gun.<br>
    <br>
    The current 1187 20ga model will also cycle the light loads, but the recoil impulse is a wee bit sharper due to a very lightweight action sleeve. It's still lighter for recoil than fixed breech guns.<br>
    <br>
    My son has an 1100 LT-20 he's been using since he was 12 (he's 18 now). Obviously we had to put an adult stock on it. My daughter has an 1187 20ga. I also have an 1187 20ga. I used it for trap for quite a while when I had a pinched nerve in my left arm that resulted in loosing half my strength in that arm. It was difficult for me to hold up a 12ga trap gun. Note that my scores with the 20ga were exactly the same as with my 12ga.<br>
    <br>
    I seen youths, particularly girls, trying to shoot 20ga 870 Express guns (or worse, NEF break actions), and they were just getting beat up by the recoil. I'd offer to let them shoot my 1187, or my son's 1100 LT-20. They loved it, and pretty much told their fathers to trade in their 870 on an 1100.<br>
    <br>
    Even though these guns do require periodic cleaning (about every 400 to 600 shells, depending on the ammo quality and the powder used), it's for the above reasons that a local hunting and fishing group bought a pile of LT-20 youth guns for youth instruction. They wrok, they fit, they aren't too big, and the recoil is very low.<br>
    <br>
    Someone mentioned the Beretta 3901RL 20ga youth model. That's a good gun. I let my daughter try one, but she said the girth of the grip was too big for her, and she preferred the 1187 20ga.<br>

18. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice. I took her to the club with the gun that best fit her size 5'-7". The 3200 was the gun she felt most comfortable with! She shot 3 rounds and started out with 5 at the 16 yd line then she got about 10 the next round. So we put her on the 19 yd line and she smashed 17 targets!!With a little more coaching and fitting the gun to her Samantha Graham might just outdo her teacher Paulette Graham!!!!PJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.