1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What trap gun would you buy?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by al3526, Sep 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. al3526

al3526 TS Member

what trap gun would you buy if you were looking to spend 5-8 grand? new or used? Al

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Iam going to assume all three disciplines of our sport. I would definetly by used as your loss should be slim should you decide its not right for you.

In your price range there are alot of offerings on the used market that can be had. Many will not take near the dollar amount and serve you well. My advice to you would be test drives some different brands and models of members of your gun clubs you frequent. Most shooters will allow this if you appear to be a responsible person. Then you can make the correct judgement for you.

These are suggestions to help, an MX8 or MX3 Special have served many a shooter well. Beretta combos of various models are good canidates. Actually to many to list and remember you could always buy a 391 and have several grand left over for bullets.

4. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

There are a lot of good trap guns in that price range. If I had that kind of money to spend I would go with a Kolar T/S.

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

Used K-80

A good deal can be had on used Kolars as they do not seem to hold up on resale value but they are good guns.

Don Verna

6. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

Get a well kept used Ljutic and used Browning XT or Special Trap (if you can find one). You will have money left over for a new reloader. Glenn

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Perazzi ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

mx8 combo!
    steve

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Caesar Guerini Combo can be had for $6500 or less and it is the highest shooting trapgun right out of the box, they advertise 115% mine makes 120%.
    And their factory release is excellent. It comes w/adj, comb-adj/rib on both Bbls O/U and Un single and it also comes as a top single combo.

I have been told this is the fastest selling trap gun on the Market.

Used ones are few and far between, being snapped up fast when there is one.

You won't be disappointed in this trapgun.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. sean justice

sean justice TS Member

EITHER A USED MX-2000 UNSINGLE, IVE SEEN VERY NICE CLEAN USED GUNS FOR 5000.$, THEN FIND A GOOD OU BARREL, DOESNT HAVE TO BE AN ADJ. RIB BARREL, FIND A GOOD USED OU BBL AND ADD A DELRIN RIB TO MATCH SIGHT PICTURE WITH THE UNSINGLE, FOR 5 GRAND THE PERAZZI IS GREAT VALUE, IF YOU SPEND ALITTLE MORE U CAN GET THE RS MODEL WITH TALLER RIB.

11. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

For me it depends if you want to shoot doubles or not. If you just want to shoot singles and handicap you have a lot more options. If you want to shoot doubles look for an older Kreighoff K80 or K32, Remington 3200 or Kolar. You may not be able to get a combo for that price but you could get a trap O/U. A nice used Perazzi is always a good choice. You could get a Beretta DT10 but I would rather have the K80, Kolar or Perazzi but that is just an my opinion.

If your not shooting doubles I would go Ljutic used, there are some great deals on Ljutics. The Kolar TS, Krieghoff KX5 or Remington 90T. Perazzi has some nice single barrel models as well. If you buy the KX5 I would suggest a PFS. I shot a KX5 for many years and loved the gun but felt like it kicked a lot. A PFS on it would have been an awesome trap gun!

Bottom line there are a lot of good choices but you need to shoot them since they all feel a bit different. Decide which two you would be happy with and then start shopping for the best deal. Nice thing with a K80, Kolar and Perazzi is you can buy it with one barrel and always add another barrel in the future if you need it or can afford it.

Good Luck!

David

12. warren

warren Member

Whatever you buy I suggest you buy it brand new so you can break it in yourself, make your own adjustments so it is all your gun. I bought an XT that way made my own adjustments and I love it, wouldn't trade it for a ranch in Texas.

warren

13. Joen

Joen Member

there are some good deals on new 682 gold E combo's for less than 4 grand, then I would go to Wening get a stock fit to you and send the barrels to Tom Wilkson's and that gun will last a long time fit means a lot in a game of perfection. just my thought

14. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Ithaca 7e Knick or a Winchester 21.

Not what most would get, but you asked what I would buy!

Alternatively, however many of his guns Stu would let me have.

Lou

15. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Ljutic for 16's and 'Caps. You can find a early one that will outlast your Grandkid for >$3,000. that leaves a lot of your budget for a Doubles gun and/or shells.

I ran into a shooter at the Buffalo Creek Shoot this weekend that bought an LTX for $2,500 from a gun store consignment. That may be super unusual, but deals are out there.

BTW, the advice above is the same advice I took about a year ago. It was good advice for me.

HBT

16. al3526

al3526 TS Member

yes i would and do shoot all three diciplines. Additionally, i shoot skeet and intend to shoot sporting clays. leaning towards a o/u 32 inch barreles and want mucho adjustability. does this change anyones answers or bring another gun to mind? al

17. dukcall

dukcall Member

Kolar--you can't go wrong

18. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I really like my MX 10 RS. You can find combo for about 8,500. If you are going to shoot sporting and skeet, Browning Combo's are pretty nice and economical. They shoot flat enough to shoot Sporting Clays. You better be a gun cleaner, it is my impression that Browning's like to rust. If you buy a Browning, I would get the Monte Carlo stock which does not have Browning adjustable comb ( I do not like Browning's adjustable comb hardware). Beretta combos are also nice. If you take care of your gun it should last you most of your shooting career. However, if you start shooting it well, you will need to have your gun in good shape so that you can trade it for a fancier gun that you won't be able to shoot. Trapshooters , me included , are always looking over the fence for "greener grass". Now where is my MX 8 that I shot well?

Charlie

19. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Better yet....

Buy a good used 1100/1187 for $500.

Take the remaining $7500 and buy into something (like oil).

Let the profits of your investment pay for the shells, etc.

Curt

20. GRR

GRR TS Member

K-80 T/S It's just a pleasure to shoot and looks great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.