1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

what to purchase

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hangn7, Aug 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hangn7

hangn7 TS Member

I started trap shooting two years ago, said I wasnt going to buy one of those fancy guns, HUMBLE PIE, Shooting at present a Browning Special Trap Edition and a Browning BT 99. If you were to purchase what would it be? LJ, KR, KO PE, GU others. I will be looking at used. I like to looks of the Ljutic mono. Thanks to all of you for your advice in advance. This is also your opertunity to tell me where to go. Thanks again Mark

2. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

There is way more bad advise than bad guns. What is the criteria for your next purchase? Recoil (load your stock with shot), Looks (get a neat paint job), My buddy says I need a different gun (let them buy you what they want). There are many good shooters out there with the same gun as you are using (I think about that everytime one of our local shooters kick everyones ass with the same old Mod. 12 he has shot for 45yrs.)

That is strange advise from a "dealer"...lol..Shoot as many guns as you can to see what is "right for you". Remember, "If it don't fit, you can't hit"... .merlyn.....

3. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Mark,
    You can't go wrong with a Ljutic.
    I've been exactly where you are, and there's nothing wrong with Brownings either.
    I used to shoot a BT-99 and BT-100 for trap and a Citori for doubles.
    I now shoot a Ljutic for trap and the Citori for doubles. I'm still getting used to the Citori (bought a new one) but have been shooting the Ljutic for 2 years. I love the thing. And it is next to indestructable. Built like a tank.
    The thing I like the most about the gun is the release that opens the chamber is under the gun in front of the trigger guard. You can close the gun very quietly, and it opens very easy with this feature. And your thumb doesn't get worn out opening the gun.
    If you are used to a BT-99, then you should stay away from anything more than 70-30 point of impact on the Ljutic. If you start getting into the 80-20 or 90-10 ranges then you're going to struggle. The reason is you are used to a flat shooting gun and having to cover the bird to hit it. With the 70-30 or 60-40 POI you are only looking at the front bead. No reason to line the beads up like a BT-99.
    Good luck, and hope you find a good one.
    Later,

Kevin

4. etook

etook TS Member

i dont see anything wrong with the brownings i have an at combo and i love it. I have also shot a bt99 and like it also.

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

682 Gold E combo. 34/32.

Always good buys on here or check out Joel Etchen's site.

Curt

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Merlyn gave you good advice. He could have tried to sell you a gun as he is a dealer in higher end guns but he is a very honest and straight up guy. As you can see he did not even mention he is a trap gun dealer. Don't be afraid to buy from him. He will do you right.

7. Troutslayer

Troutslayer TS Member

suprised merlyn didnt tell you to buy an alfermann

8. nipper

nipper TS Member

stick with the brownings and buy 25000 pmc primers for 95.00 a sleeve like i just did

bill

9. Troutslayer

Troutslayer TS Member

but seriously in my opinion get the XT combo.

10. prorider

prorider TS Member

Perazzi,nuff said.

11. hangn7

hangn7 TS Member

Thank you to all that have responded to my request. It will not be easy to purchase a higher end gun as I really do like the Special trap editions. They fit me well. I would really like to shoot some of them but living in north central Montana doent give me alot of connection with those kinda guns. I have a couple of trap shoots to go to this fall yet. I am shooting in the 94s in singles and 86 doubles and 90 handicap from the 20. All this is raw talent and no instruction. Is there somewhere close that puts on a school? Thanks again for your advice. Not looking to win it all just make myself a better shooter. Mark Peterson

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Mark,

You need a Perazzi MX-2000 combo (34"/32") and just happen to have one for sale at a real right price ... $7,500 includes all of the books, patches, parts kit, and instructions that come with them and I also have a PFS thats on the gun with all of the paperwork with it for an extra $500 all in a brand new Americase model 2017 ... Have all the upgraded wood that came with the gun also ... Like new but not new ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Troutslayer is giving good advice about the XT combo.
    The Brownings are very reliable guns, and my Citori XT trap is an excellent gun.
    However, I'll give you some advice about that gun.
    If you intend to buy a new one, DO NOT buy the factory installed adjustable comb version. Either the monte carlo or an aftermarket adjustable comb is the way to go. The factory installed comb (Brownings latest design) is a big mistake. The comb has a very long screw that extends from inside the gun thru the butt stock and butt pad. It is a small thread on the end of the screw and it breaks very easy. If you want to adjust the comb, you must loosen this screw, and about three times is all it takes to break it. They are $10 a piece to replace, and the mechanism inside the gun can get messed up as well when you try to get the broken screw thread out. Those are $50 each to replace. Just better to avoid all together.

Kevin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.