1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What to pay for W.W. lead ingots?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by omahasportingsupply, Feb 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

I have a chance to buy hundreds of pounds of lead from a lady near Omaha NE. She has a couple of buckets of wheel weights and 5 large buckets of 2 lbs ingots of melted wheel weight lead. The tin clips are still in a couple of buckets. She wants them out but wants a fair price. Kitco has lead at .90 per pound but this probably has some antimony in it. How much is it worth in ingots vs. the wheel weight on the tin clip? I'm sure a scrap metal dealer will not offer much, but already in ingots should be ready for somebody's shotmaker. What's your thoughts? You may email me directly, but I won't be able to check this account until evening. Thanks

2. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

A fair price for wheel weights is .05 cents per pound the ingots are probably worth .10 cents per pound call around to your scrap yards I doubt ther paying anymore than that. I have been in the salvage business for 25 plus years. Bill

3. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I would give 20ยข and feel like I stole em.

4. Furman

Furman TS Member

I have been in the scrap business for 30 years we would gladly pay .30 a pound in a heartbeat.

5. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

Place one, No because of the law. YEAH RIGHT. He will make more money selling them to a co who will reuse them.

Place two, lead 60 cents per pound. Wheel weight 45 cents per pound.

Place three, 25 cents per pound and I hope to get there on Tues. He said he has 1600 pounds.

6. omahasportingsupply

No disrepect meant, but that is a big spread between .9001 on Kitcometals.com and the .10 suggested on the first post. Is somebody making .80 per lb to take the antimony out on the melted ingots? That is (2000 X .80 = $1600 per ton) and they don't even have to throw away the tin clips. At .9001 per lb, a bag of shot, for just the lead, (no antimony) should be around (25 X .90 = $22.50) per bag. Either I don't understand the metals industry markup, or I am in the WRONG business. IMHO

7. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Week of 17 Feb. for East Coast from Recycleinme.com.
    LEAD

Items Last Week This Week
    Soft $0.27 $0.27
    Wheel WTS $0.17 $0.17

8. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

I didn't realize there were so many junk men on here. My dad was a dealer in semi-precious metals for 35 years (that's what he preferred over being a junk man.) I still have scars from pieces of copper wire stuck in my hands from helping when I was a kid. I remember when copper was .16 a pound and in the 70's when number 1 copper prices shot to .89 a pound. We used to get buckets of brass shells from the nike sites in Lorton VA and I remember it being my job to poke the shells and dump the gun powder from the ones that didn't fire properly. The Fourth of July was ALWAYS interesting at my house. Then there was the time a couple guys were ripping off brass flower urns from the cemetary and tried to sell them to my Dad. The cemetary got wise and put a pulley on them so when you pulled them out, they pulled back. It only took a couple of those and the theives stopped. Ah the memories. Dad has been dead now for over 20 years. Glad to see people are still in the business. I often wish I had continued his business instead of allowing my brother to run it into the ground.

Luvn

9. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

The scrap metal co in my area are a pair of rich AH's. They are not hurting for money at all. Its a good business to be in if your zoneing laws will let you. In my area you can not start a scrap metal business because they don't want such a thing in the area. The one that still in business are grandfathered and make to much money to fight in court. An auto junk yard is another good business to be in.

10. omahasportingsupply

The regulations around here have run out many of the small operators. The big ones have enough money to meet them in court. Tires and oil are a concern. You have a hard time selling parts to anyone but the final user. My brother used to buy rims at junkyards and mount them on low tread tires and sell them to trailer manufacturing firms. Today that is not legal. It was getting hard to find rims at the end. The higher costs are passed on to their customers.

11. omahasportingsupply

Today I called the salvage yards that I offered to sell lead to yesterday and tried to buy wheel weights. One firm told me yesterday they would pay .07 per lb to buy my lead. Today they told me the would sell it to me for .35 per lb. The other company said they would pay me .15 per pound to buy and today they will sell it to me for .40 per pound. Salvage experts: is 3-4 times cost the normal return? Maybe the salvage workers all go home and shower in their mansion and laugh at us misguided souls. What are your thoughts?

12. Furman

Furman TS Member

ATTTT. all shot and lead buyers one of our reasons lead is so high is china! China just took a adjustment. They have their rules they play by Hold ON TO YOUR ASS..ET but dont look back you cant count! on any thing china has their fingers In.

13. omahasportingsupply

update: I took several ingots into a scrap metal recycler today and he said he would pay 10-15 cents per pound for them. No wonder we pay so much for shot. They are buying it for less than a dime and wanting to charge us a buck for the shot. Anybody near Omaha want to buy ingots or go in the shot business together? I could buy a shot maker except I may never want to go home! Bill Grill's post may be closer than we think!

14. BBB

BBB TS Member

Put the ingots on ebay, you might be suprised what people will pay. It always makes me laugh at how much people pay for hulls.

15. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Do Not sell to a scrapper! Sell your lead to a shooter for shot making. Maybe if we can keep our lead in the loop, we, or someone, can make shot and shoot cheaper.

16. omahasportingsupply

Another poster wrote earlier that Northwest Shot was the only shot company that would redrop your shot for ???$3.00??? per bag. I wonder if that is already in ingots or you can take them a truckload of wheel weights. Is there anyone else that would make (or redrop lead shot) that isn't 1747 Miles (or 23 hours and 45 mins) from Omaha NE USA? I think (as of Tuesday night) I have 200+ lbs of ingots and maybe 500+ lbs of wheel weights. I always buy when they have it available at a resonable price. I know where there is another ton but we are still working on the price. Maybe I should just take it to JIM101 in KC as he has an awesome setup!

17. Furman

Furman TS Member

Let us put this in perspective I have just spent 40k on a new pickup $5500.00 on a new kx5 but I want to remelt lead to make shot if I shoot 20k a year I save $600.00 a year. Now lets start taking our deducts from our savings. we have 1562# of lead to make into shot how long does this take 4-5 8 hour days at best how much electricity??? then lets factor in lead is a hazardus materal to melt it is very dangerus could and will kill YOU. Then your widow will sell your 40k pickup for 20k your $5500.00 k gun for $2500.00. Boys, Have your widows call me when the truck's available.I would rather be making loaded shells so i can shoot them thats what trap shooting is all about not dieing a very slow death not good.Lets let the pros make the shot.Have A good Day

18. willing

willing Member

Some of the richest people I've met were junkmen. I used to know one who went to all the military bases and bought old electronic equipment for next to nothing. It was all outmoded but it had GOLD contacts. He made a fortune.

Bill

19. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

FURMAN:
    My husband and I have been melting our own lead into ingots and making shot for over 40 years now and we have no health issues or side effects from doing so. One thing we have noticed though all of our children have been born naked and barefooted. Probaly you haven't melted any lead so your children were born with clothes on????
    If you listen to these environmentalists they will have you eating poop and running rabbits. Hopefully you aren't an environmentalist!! If you are, build yourself an ark because Al Gore says you are going to float away when the ice caps melt and then you won't need all those 40K trucks or $5500 shotguns , just a paddle.
    Ellen O'Connor

20. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

I love what you said Ellen O! About being born with no close on an Eatin Poop!! Love it, Love it HEHEHEHEhahahhaa! No I don't eat Poop! It's how she said it or what ever, But don't eat Poop. Yuk! It's Still Funny!!!

Rich. in (Peoria,Az.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

lead bars for sale

making money selling lead ingots

omaha lead ingots for sale