1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What to look for when smelting?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by richrob, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richrob

richrob TS Member

Im starting to get some wheel weights together and plan on making ingots soon. I noticed some of the weights are marked Al and Mn, I know to pull those out, are there any others I need to watch for? Thanks, Rich

2. richrob

richrob TS Member

3. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I just throw everything in the cooker, no matter what. I scim off the top, drop in some wax and when the smoke clears I pour my ingots. Been doing it for a year with out a problem.

4. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

Don't even go through them just chuck them in, they'll float so you can skim them off. Try not to get valve stems in the pot, it smokes and smells pretty bad.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

avidtrapshooter- Your comment about the valve stems demonstrates that you have melted a lot of wheel weights. Those things are hard to see until they begin to smoke.

Pat Ireland

6. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

I bet they are very odiferice to! Rich(inPeoria,A.Z.)

Smoke Em!! Smoke Em All!!

7. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

I have melted maybe 250 lbs of wheel weights (all I have been able to get so far), which is a lot to me, but to a lot of you that might be a drop of water in a 5 gallon bucket.

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Aw, geez I thought this was about smelt fishing!!!

Here I had all kinds of net tricks and technique to share.

HM

9. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

An observation, and a question:

A friend just melted his first batch and made his first shot. He showed me this, and it worked great. They look good, uniform, round, and very consistent.

He stated he melts his lead three (3) times before making molds. He wants it as clean as possible. He adds his wax on the last melt, and sticks it onto the bottom of his dipper spoon, then forces it to the bottom. Very little flare-up, and the smoke is reduced. He feels it is in a better position for cleaning the lead at the bottom.

Question-----

I have access to some lead fired at an indoor range. Some are jacketed, others are wad-cutters. What would happen if I left it all combined, and melted it?

Would the lead melt from the copper, and the copper float like the wheel weight clips? Will I get into any other hazardous conditions with the copper?

Inquiring minds need to know!

Thank You

Danny

10. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

BVR Tail -- Take advantage of all the lead you can get from a range -- melt it down -- skim off the copper -- keep the copper as clean as you can get it as far as getting all the lead off -- save the copper -- check around and see who is paying the most for it -- it will sell as #2 copper -- the last I sold fetched close to $2 a pound -- you stated that your friend melted his 3 times before he made his ingots -- not necessary -- melt your lead -- skim the junk off -- stir it several times so that the dirt and small stuff comes to the top -- skim it with your spoon and pour it into your ingots -- I have tried beeswax and I don't see where it helps a bit -- smokes and sometimes flames -- makes a mess -- as you are making shot any junk that is still in the lead will float -- just take 1" puddy knife and drag it to the back of the laddle and remove it

11. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Thanks dmm.

I think I looked up the right site that said copper melts at 1980 degrees F. I will assume the copper will be in a hard state in the pot?

I think I will add these after I have skimmed all other crud.

Skimming and saving will help offset the cost of wheel weights.

Thanks for the help

Danny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.