1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What to look for in a used trap gun?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BELGIBOY, Aug 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BELGIBOY

BELGIBOY TS Member

Hi everybody. I'm a long time lurker first time poster here. I shot my first 25 straight last Wednesday so I think it is time to upgrade to a dedicated trap gun. I like the Browning Cynergy with 32" barrels but if I run into a good deal on a secondhand gun, I would like some information on what to look for and what to avoid. What are the most common signs of wear and tear in O/U's that have been shot hard. Any information that can help me make the right choice is welcome. And if somebody knows the name of a good fitter in Minnesota, I would greatly appreciate that info too.

Steven

2. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

Steven, I always look at the thumb lever being a little right of center and watch for a primer ring indented into the breach face metal around the firing pin. Of course any looseness and overall apperance will tell a lot.
    Carey

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Shoot it before you buy it. Makes no sense to buy a trap gun if you can't hit anything with it. HMB

4. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

"I would like some information on what to look for and what to avoid."

This is not a joke. First and foremost make sure that all the parts that are supposed to be there are there! Watch out for missing screws and safeties.

Also make sure the gun locks up easily and tight.

Finally, make sure it does not misfire.

Otherwise, ask the experts.

5. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I really believe I would have a trusted friend that IS A TRAP SHOOTER help you . Look at a used gun (alot cheaper) they are at every club and guns that are as new can be found very easily . Be sure to shoot it and not just one round . Trap shooters buy and sell gun and sometimes shoot them to .

Good luck and have fun .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap gun what to look for

what to lok for in a trap gun

what to look for in a trap gun